Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 3, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #22,666 of 64,137
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #22,669 of 64,137
Just ordered some colorful ZSTs and... ZS5s.

Very curious about those..

Will then decide on trying some ZS6s.

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #22,671 of 64,137
I`m sorry that ZS5 isn`t Your cup of tea. I would call it slightly U-shaped with near-neutral mids (not recessed, nor good enough).
I`ve been listening to ZS5 lately with longer sessions and honestly, the most "disturbing fault" I can find is in bass and percussion tightness and punch - that`s the main reason I like my FF-mod ATE more than ZS5v1 and additionally ATE mids are more "liquid" and present. Though, ZS5v1 has it totally ok and it isn`t fault someone should avoid buying it.

Will do some mods soon to my ZS5v1 to improve bass/percussion presence and tightness (but not raise quantity much).
+1 Wow!...I honestly think the same thing! Plus, I do get distortion when I want to hear the ZS5 a little louder. I might open them up one day and eliminate the smaller dynamic drivers just to see if this is the cause of the distortion. I think the small drivers are sealed too tight against the plastic wall with nowhere to rumble the bass, so it distorts. This is just my theory.

I do own a pair of gray and blue ZS5 (V1) and they do distort exactly at the same amount of volume, so I have to probably decide which one to attempt this small project, when I make time.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #22,672 of 64,137
Y'all sure about this distortion thing? What are you using to power? Because I've hooked mine up to a Mojo and even at stupid volumes (like when I accidentally left it up too high from using harder to drive IEMs) they didn't distort.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #22,673 of 64,137
Y'all sure about this distortion thing? What are you using to power? Because I've hooked mine up to a Mojo and even at stupid volumes (like when I accidentally left it up too high from using harder to drive IEMs) they didn't distort.
Yeah. I listen to the zs5 in the "red" on Samsung S7edge

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #22,674 of 64,137

It might be the S7 Edge.

I remember the Galaxy S4 (that I used to have - bad mobile phone, really bad mobile phone for most of my (non-audio) needs) ran into distortion with low impedance loads (which most IEMs are). If that hasn't changed with the S7, then it might be your phone that is distorting (could be the ZS5 as well, but I suspect it's the mobile phone).

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #22,675 of 64,137

I have the same cellphone. Absolutely no distortion even in max.volume on my ZS5's. Ain't it problem with song/album? Some albums on high volume levels sounds very harsh and unlistenable (Loudness war era).
EDIT: Have you tried to "tune" the sound with advanced features of the S7E such as Adapt sound or UHQ, or PRO amplifier?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #22,676 of 64,137
I have done @Slater 's ZST mod a couple days ago. Man, you really hitted the spot... The ZSTs were sincerely my drawer's unit for a long time, mainly due to it's piercing highs... The mod changed the game and after a couple of sound sessions I have to say that I have changed them for my modded ZS5 v1 for a while... :beerchug: Do you think that the mod would be beneficial to ZS5's nozzle BA as well or did you try it yet?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #22,677 of 64,137
So, my ER4 came back from the shop and I'll be going back to it as my daily so I probably won't be using my ZS5 anymore. To those curious about what's inside and to put the questions to rest, I decided to open them up to see what the fuss is all about.

20171003_132555~2.jpg
This is the V1, so the wirings maybe different compared to the V2.

Before opening them, I went ahead and remove the metal mesh filter. Based on what I heard, the entire soundstage and overall signature is shaped by the filter. Removing it would be detrimental to the overall sound.

Next, I went on to prying it open and started cutting the wires one by one to see what I'm getting out of the drivers.

From what I heard:

The Inner BA Driver either does nothing, or as KZ claims, reproduces ultra high frequencies that I certainly can't hear.

The small dynamic driver does actually contribute to the sound, but an incredibly small amount considering what it is technically capable of. It only handles the part between 1khz to 3khz, about where the mids starts peaking. The effect is hard to notice unless your're aqquainted with the original sound.

The BA at the nozzle does indeed work as intended, and it only handles the higher frequencies, especially the mountainous peaks at 7khz and 10khz. This is where all that treble energy comes from.

Finally, the large dynamic, being a full range, handles most of the work. The entire response is handled by this driver, and funny enough, after removing everything from the nozzle and listening to the dynamic itself, they produce a pretty enjoyable sound.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #22,678 of 64,137
Can someone have a look at Amazon.CO.UK and tell me which foam tips will fit the ZS5?

And is that the same size as I need for the ZST, etc?

Basically what size am I looking for? Or is there a comply model that will work?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #22,679 of 64,137
Just send a message to seller.

Ohhhhh. That's good service.

Yup, for example I sent him the below order message in the format of "QTY, Model (ie ID), color, size (ie OD)". I figured he'd screw it up, but he got it perfectly:
  • 4pcs/2 pairs T200 BLUE MEDIUM
  • 4pcs/2 pairs T200 RED MEDIUM
  • 4pcs/2 pairs T300 BLUE MEDIUM
  • 4pcs/2 pairs T300 RED MEDIUM
  • 6pcs/3 pairs T200 BLUE SMALL
  • 6pcs/3 pairs T200 RED SMALL
  • 6pcs/3 pairs T300 BLUE SMALL
  • 6pcs/3 pairs T300 RED SMALL
  • 20pcs/10 pairs T500 BLUE MEDIUM
  • 20pcs/10 pairs T500 RED MEDIUM

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #22,680 of 64,137
I have done @Slater 's ZST mod a couple days ago. Man, you really hitted the spot... The ZSTs were sincerely my drawer's unit for a long time, mainly due to it's piercing highs... The mod changed the game and after a couple of sound sessions I have to say that I have changed them for my modded ZS5 v1 for a while... :beerchug: Do you think that the mod would be beneficial to ZS5's nozzle BA as well or did you try it yet?

Glad it worked out for you. I use my ZST every day for bike riding because I like them so much with the mod.

I think it would certainly be beneficial to tune the ZS5 and the ZS6 to your individual taste. The method would be the same as the ZST mod. The only difference is that the nozzle screen is glued on with the ZS5 but just peel-n-stick with the ZS6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back