Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 2, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #22,621 of 64,126
I don't read anything in the post you linked to that leads me to that conclusion. Don't forget that they can sub out the actual build of their design to a shop and still be the OEM.
I'm confused. If KZ is subbing out the build to someone else... that someone else is the OEM and KZ are the designers in that relationship, yeah?

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #22,622 of 64,126
I'm confused. If KZ is subbing out the build to someone else... that someone else is the OEM and KZ are the designers in that relationship, yeah?

So you don't regard Apple, NCR, GM, Ford, etc as OEM?

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #22,624 of 64,126
So all in all, the ZS6 is probably the go-to treble-head IEM of KZ's inventory?

Give me a pen and I'll go stabbing. That'll teach em.

With the stock cable? Absolutely. Swap that out and the rest of the spectrum comes to life. I'd even argue that with bass-heavy rap they're stunningly good.

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #22,625 of 64,126
Well, the way I see it:

Very obvious flaws will be pointed out by anyone, no matter how knowledgeable they are.

I am looking for things like:

- Harshness in the treble
- Poor fit
- Build Quality issues
- Any other flaw that hinders the user experience

So I will not be buying the ZS6 because of the "harshness in the treble".

I'd say that with the cable swap the treble isn't any harsher than something like the DT990, if that's a useful metric.

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #22,626 of 64,126
In automotives OEM has a different context.

Apple is not an OEM, they hire OEM services from Foxconn?

That makes Apple the OEM and whoever does the build for them the assembly house. I sold electronic components for decades and this is how it is looked at. There are rarely any OEM that does complete in house manufacture. Even component manufacturers.

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #22,627 of 64,126
That makes Apple the OEM and whoever does the build for them the assembly house. I sold electronic components for decades and this is how it is looked at. There are rarely any OEM that does complete in house manufacture. Even component manufacturers.
I mean, we're obviously using two contradictory definitions of OEM here :shrug:

Mine would be: a manufacturer that produces products to a given design specification that will be marketed by a brand other than its own.

I'm guessing yours would be: the original parts used in and specified for a given design and/or the company that will honor the warranty of the finished product.

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #22,628 of 64,126
Oct 2, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #22,629 of 64,126
Okay, I think I got my setup.

KZ ZS6 + KZ silver cable + Spinbit Blades. Everything seems to have fallen into place. If anything, they went from insanely sibilant to a bit bass heavy (which I'm fine with). I've got a feeling others may prefer other tips, but I think I've got it set up exactly how I like it.

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #22,630 of 64,126
Well, the way I see it:
Very obvious flaws will be pointed out by anyone, no matter how knowledgeable they are.

I am looking for things like:

- Harshness in the treble
- Poor fit
- Build Quality issues
- Any other flaw that hinders the user experience

So I will not be buying the ZS6 because of the "harshness in the treble".
You may be right, but not forget that a lot of this things con be subjective. Casual's review are not that trustworthy.

Treble's harshness, as we said before, can be perceived differently. Same thing for fit, and it also can have impact on sound.

As for me, i know that i have place a huge bet on ZS6, for my treble's liking, but this time i'm also in the right mood for mod and EQ them, if something go wrong. Like we can place felt, toilet paper or other materials between pads and driver on bigger headphones, searching for our personal balance of treble's presence, we need to understand that it's a problem that need to be approached with personalization, if we can also want some audible upgrade and more details overall. I said it before, sibilance exist on nature and recording. A sibilant headphone is not a bad headphone, per se.
All i was thinking, when i have place the order, is that i want that potential on bass and mids, that soundstage and instrument separation, with more quality construction and exchangeable cable ( i have ordered the copper KZ's cable ), because i'm also too damn tired of listen stronger microphonics on a lot of cheap IEM.
35-40$ are too much for that ? maybe, and maybe there is some better alternative to this model, that other users can recommend, but it also can be said that some guys buy and mod a LOT more expensive stuff, searching for their personal vision of an audio heaven.

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #22,631 of 64,126
I mean, we're obviously using two contradictory definitions of OEM here :shrug:

Mine would be: a manufacturer that produces products to a given design specification that will be marketed by a brand other than its own.

I'm guessing yours would be: the original parts used in and specified for a given design and/or the company that will honor the warranty of the finished product.

You are describing a Reseller/Rebranded etc., these products are called White-label products and the means of selling white-label service or simply white-labelling.

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #22,633 of 64,126
You are describing a Reseller/Rebranded etc., these products are called White-label products and the means of selling white-label service or simply white-labelling.
And more to the point - what does all of this mean in relation to the post I linked earlier?

For some context, the question is if the shop would be stocking the new KZ S3.
The first response reads "This is actually not on the newest products, it is the weihuo product foreign trade OEM , so you can see it's price is very low [...]"
And the transaction concludes with being informed that the KZ ED3 sounds identical to the KZ S3 despite some cosmetic differences.

So I'm genuinely curious... what do you make of that interaction then? I get where you're coming from... but the definition you're using just doesn't make any sense to me in that context.

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #22,634 of 64,126
Good to hear that :ok_hand:

Yep. I can definitely understand why some might balk at the idea of dropping $30-40 on these only to need a new set of tips and a different cable, but I'd argue the sound that results is worth the total expense. At least that's my first impression. Going to give it more time like I've said elsewhere. See if my impression changes.

EDIT: The cp240-M is what I'm using. No fit issues at all. They seem to sit in the ear more easily than the ZS5.

Oct 2, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #22,635 of 64,126
Yep. I can definitely understand why some might balk at the idea of dropping $30-40 on these only to need a new set of tips and a different cable, but I'd argue the sound that results is worth the total expense. At least that's my first impression. Going to give it more time like I've said elsewhere. See if my impression changes.

EDIT: The cp240-M is what I'm using. No fit issues at all. They seem to sit in the ear more easily than the ZS5.
Thanks.

You can also have normal Spinfit ? If yes, you find worth it upgrade to Twinblades ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back