Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 3, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #18,051 of 63,923
Jun 3, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #18,053 of 63,923
Thanks. I thought that there would a be lot of aftermarket cables for the ZS3 I could use for my ZS5 to improve comfort but apparently there aren't. Maybe that will change with the ZS5 who knows. Just found one but with a hefty pricetag of twice the IEMS.

When or if you buy the ZS5, buy it with mic cable and the silver "upgrade" cable and have the best of both worlds. ZS3 doesn't have many aftermarket cables as the IEM is so cheap so what's the point as they are throw away items if they become faulty.

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #18,054 of 63,923
Some of us will do well to heed the title of the thread: enough with the off-topic posts.

It's quite simple, don't mention banned sellers and don't get into sound science discussions on an impressions thread.

Thanks.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #18,055 of 63,923
This is an all too common issue with the KZ 2-pin models, and is usually caused by accidentally plugging in the cable backwards. The plug will technically "fit" when plugged in backwards, but the only thing holding it in is the friction of the pins (allowing it to separate & fall apart at any time). Plugging one side in backwards will also cause that side to be out of phase.

When both plugs are oriented properly and seated fully, it takes an incredible amount of force to unplug them. There is a tight mechanical fitment due to the plug's shape - curved on one end and flat on the other - and it's designed to fit like a key in a lock.

They fit so tightly together that they'd easily get pulled out of the ears before the plugs would get detached from the IEM itself (like if riding a bike and the cable gets caught on a tree for example).

Not sure if that's what happened to yours, but if so don't feel bad because it's happened to others.

I've included the following photo (replacing my previous crude drawing LOL), so hopefully people can double check their ZS3/ZST/ZS5 connections to make sure they're correctly oriented.

My main issue was that the pin connectors actually bent over time, so the left would detach itself occasionally. This was what resulted in me losing it 3 times.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #18,056 of 63,923
I just bought the ED7 standard size a few nights ago. The bamboo I thought was very cool and unique looking. ED7 is supposed to sound somewhat like the ATR. :)

The next KZ iem on my radar to get besides the zs5 obviously is the original zs1. I guess I need to message sellers on eBay and AliExpress to find the old 2015 model that has the brass ring. But my buddy Scrambler I was reading his posts from a few months back in this thread describing the OG zs1s as the Lord of bass. Sounds like something I need as a basshead :)

Congrats! I hope you'll like the ED7s. Because I like them a lot. They're easy on the ears.

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #18,057 of 63,923
When or if you buy the ZS5, buy it with mic cable and the silver "upgrade" cable and have the best of both worlds. ZS3 doesn't have many aftermarket cables as the IEM is so cheap so what's the point as they are throw away items if they become faulty.

I do have the original cable and the silver one but neither are very comfortable to me. I've seen an upgrade cable from a reseller but it's overly expensive (more than twice the cost of the ZS5). I think you're right that the ZS3 is so cheap that it doesn't pay to manifacture third party cables. Now that the ZS5 is out and being a more expensive item it will be interesting to see if it can create some kind of aftermarket manifacturing.

Edit: Removed the memory wire as a fellow Headfi-er gave me the advice to. BIG difference in comfort!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #18,059 of 63,923
I just got my zs5. First impressions are good. Coming from the zs3, this is a pretty good improvement. Comfort doesnt bother me as of yet but I will see how it goes as I continue to test it out. Overall seems like a pretty good purchase for the price.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #18,060 of 63,923
Hello,

I'm currently looking for new KZ in ears to buy after I lost my old ones.

I generally prefer a more neutral/natural sound signature. I really liked the ZS3 that I owned previously, but they had too much bass for me. Is there a better alternative with less bass? And if not, is there a definite best model of KZ-in ears currently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back