Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 4, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #18,061 of 63,834
Hello,

I'm currently looking for new KZ in ears to buy after I lost my old ones.

I generally prefer a more neutral/natural sound signature. I really liked the ZS3 that I owned previously, but they had too much bass for me. Is there a better alternative with less bass? And if not, is there a definite best model of KZ-in ears currently?

if you like the sound of ZS3 with less bass, you could try do the slatermod to them, or you could try buy the ATR

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #18,064 of 63,834
Hello,

I generally prefer a more neutral/natural sound signature. I really liked the ZS3 that I owned previously, but they had too much bass for me. Is there a better alternative with less bass? And if not, is there a definite best model of KZ-in ears currently?

Cheap ? ATR
Mid budget? ZST
Best? ZS5

pretty positive and most of the people here like these models the most.

In case of ATR if you want less surround sound more intimate sound go with latest ATE. They are the least fatiguing KZ yet I think. Plus ATE is the neutral type too.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #18,065 of 63,834
Can someone give me the differences between the ZS3 and ZST?

Seems like the zs3 is the most popular model

Thanks!
I do have both and the ZS2

# Zs3 (single dynamic driver) sounds very dynamic and powerfull, there is a lot off bass, good trebles, voices are not recessed, but it pushes too hard for me. Silver plated optional cable is a nice option that adds a bit off sharpness to the trebles and tighter bass.
# Zst (hybrid) is more calm. Trebles (due to the extra BA driver) are very sharp and realist, specialy for percussions, small noises, brass and wind instruments
Bass is verry good, sound transition between the two drivers (dynamic & BA) is very smooth.
# Zs2 (dual dynamic drivers) is my favorite with Zst The sound is very natural.

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #18,066 of 63,834
:fuelpump:>
In case of ATR if you want less surround sound more intimate sound go with latest ATE. They are the least fatiguing KZ yet I think. Plus ATE is the neutral type too.

Hmmm... with my gear, music, ATE has actually better soundstage (larger, more distance and frontal depth). ATR frontal stage is closer and more intimate but stereo width separation is better and goes further.

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #18,067 of 63,834
I do have the original cable and the silver one but neither are very comfortable to me. I've seen an upgrade cable from a reseller but it's overly expensive (more than twice the cost of the ZS5). I think you're right that the ZS3 is so cheap that it doesn't pay to manifacture third party cables. Now that the ZS5 is out and being a more expensive item it will be interesting to see if it can create some kind of aftermarket manifacturing.

Edit: Removed the memory wire as a fellow Headfi-er gave me the advice to. BIG difference in comfort!

My ZS5 have not arrived. Have you got some advice on how to remove the memory wire and is that with silver cable?

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #18,068 of 63,834
My ZS5 have not arrived. Have you got some advice on how to remove the memory wire and is that with silver cable?

I did it with the original cable, seemed a bit easier to me. Basically the memory wire is just a strip of metal under some soft plastic wrapping. I just took the end and pierced the wrapping holding it in place. You then can just tear it out through the cable wrapping and gently use some pliers to tear the other end of the iron strip from the cable connector itself. The remaining wrapping you can easily tear off.

Bit hard to describe but all in all it's pretty easy. At least with the standard cable.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #18,070 of 63,834
:fuelpump:>

Hmmm... with my gear, music, ATE has actually better soundstage (larger, more distance and frontal depth). ATR frontal stage is closer and more intimate but stereo width separation is better and goes further.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy s3 with Wolfson dac. In ATR you can easily differentiate sounds between left and right channels and has higher clarity thus might be giving me a effect of wide sound?

In ATE sound differentiation between left and right channels is a bit less. Clarity is a bit less. Sort of giving less wide sound than ATR?

I dunno I currently don't have a good gear around so there might be differences in opinion

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #18,071 of 63,834
Hello,

My recommendations for more neutral/less bass than the ZS3 would be:

1. HDS3 (very small; worn down)
2. ED9 (has 2 different filters so you can tune the sound to your liking, worn down)
3. ATR (worn up)
4. ATE (worn up, sounds very similar to ATR but the ATR is more refined and superior IMO)

Also, the ZST has less bass than ZS3, but the bass is punchy and has nice bright treble. Once of my favorite KZs, although not as comfortable as the ZS3. The ZST isn't nearly as neutral as the others in the above list, but it's a hybrid design and a very capable performer.

You can also do the slater foam mod to the ZS3 to reduce the overly bloated bass. It doesn't cost you a dime, and only tales a few minutes.

I also do not own the ZS5 so I don't know where it would rank on the above list. But for the price of 1 pair of ZS5 you can pretty much buy every IEM on that list instead. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #18,072 of 63,834
Had the ZS5 for a week now. At first I felt they sounded real closed-in like, but my error was trying to get as deep an insertion as I could get. A shallow-as-possible insertion (with spinfit tips- good staying power) and the sound opened up quite a bit. Even the comfort improved, which is surprising considering how god-awful tubby the housings are. I also removed the original screens (no black foam in there) and replaced them with screens I got from aliexpress. Keep in mind, if you remove the screens on the ZS5, they're a bitch to put back on.

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #18,074 of 63,834
@slaterlovesspam do you ever done the slatermod on the ATR beside the KZ3? I'm curious what the sound like

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #18,075 of 63,834
@slaterlovesspam do you ever done the slatermod on the ATR beside the KZ3? I'm curious what the sound like

I don't believe the ATR has any tuning foam. The only KZs that I've (personally) seen with tuning foam in the nozzle is the ZS3 & the ED9 (shiny gold filter). Perhaps other KZs use it; I just haven't run into it yet. I've never opened up a ATR to see what unique features it has (and if there could be any possible tuning improvements).

I did however do the open grille mod on the ATE (the older brother to the ATR). I had very good results with that:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/k...essions-thread.698148/page-1106#post-13350513

I was considering doing the same thing to the ATR, I just haven't gotten around to it. I really like the ATR as-is though, so I kind of don't want to 'mess with a good thing'. Although now that I think about it, the sound of the ATR combined with the huge soundstage from the open grille mod could be a killer combination!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back