Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 17, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #16,561 of 63,834
why, where you did you buy them, zs3 should not sound equal to hje 125 thats crap or maybe you got faulty one cuz kz qc not good.

Link to zs3 https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32778123444.html#autostay

Yeah perhaps I got a faulty one. In any case, Gearbest have given me a refund so props to their customer service.

It's tempting to try and purchase the ZS3 again although I'm worried they might not be up to scratch again, lol.

Anyone aware when the new ZSR will be coming out? And are there any good alternatives to the ZS3 for bassheads? 

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #16,564 of 63,834
  Where did you buy them from? Also, please let me know how you find them.

I've got mine connected to my laptop and I don't really find them bass heavy. The sound is equal to these Panasonic earbuds I have:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-RP-HJE125E-K-Ergo-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B00CBU0IV8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I've been offered a refund or a replacement by Gearbest. Not sure what to do, but perhaps I could try the Zircon's? I heard they're bass heavy. 

Not sure how different the HJE125 is from the HJE120, but the HJE120 is quite bassy (V-shaped). Perhaps your ZS3 isn't faulty but you just prefer more bass. Do you mind the balance of the other frequencies (mid and treble)? If you only care about bass (nothing wrong with that, it's all preferential), then bass cannons would be the way to go.

I haven't heard the Zircon, but the ZS1 comes to my mind when talking about bass. The treble rolls off quite a lot, so one might perceive that as muffled/muddy/lacking-in-detail, but as a result you can turn up the volume without your ears bleeding. The ZS1 has the most forward sub-bass out of all the earphones I've heard; I haven't heard the XB90EX, but I do own an ASG-2.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #16,565 of 63,834
  Anyone aware when the new ZSR will be coming out? And are there any good alternatives to the ZS3 for bassheads? 

ED9 (king of the bashead IEMs), ZN1 mini, ED "Special Edition" (aka KZ EDSE), ZS1 (1st gen with brass ring not version with mesh screen), and ED3 are the most basshead-oriented IEMs in my collection (in that order). You can also do the closed port mod on the ATE, resulting in a very warm signature. The ATE-S is the bassiest out of the ATE revisions too (Translucent brown w/black memory wires and red plastic cable "reliefs").

Most importanty, using KZ Starline tips significantly increases the bass (and fit/comfort) on all in the list, as well as other non-KZ bassy IEMs such as Rock Zircon and (to a lesser degree) MEMT X5.

Obviously, amping helps bring out the bass on these too.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #16,566 of 63,834
  ED9 (king of the bashead IEMs), ZN1 mini, ED "Special Edition" (aka KZ EDSE), ZS1 (1st gen with brass ring not version with mesh screen), and ED3 are the most basshead-oriented IEMs in my collection (in that order). You can also do the closed port mod on the ATE, resulting in a very warm signature.

Most importanty, using KZ Starline tips significantly increases the bass (and fit/comfort) on all in the list, as well as other non-KZ bassy IEMs such as Rock Zircon and (to a lesser degree) MEMT X5.

Oh wow. We hear these VERY differently, lmao! I'm 100% on board with the original ZS1 and maybe the ED3 if you're referring to the C version (red or blue model). The original silver ED3 is pretty bass-lite. The ZN1 Mini, EDse, and ED9 (gold filters) all have boosted bass, but the ZS1 shames them in my experience.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #16,567 of 63,834
Referring to the ED9:

Wow! So someone called the short nozzle gold and the longer one brass and it stuck!?

Gimme a break! They're both made of brass. One is polished, the other one has a rough surface.

And yes, the "gold" nozzle provides an extreme V shape sound profile with boosted bass, boosted (fatiguing) treble and thin lifeless mids.

I suppose that bassheads will be more than happy with the ED9s. They just have that "boom & sparkle". They sound best with electronic music but I wouldn't recommend them for rock/folk/blues etc...The mids are just so artificial and recessed.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #16,568 of 63,834
Referring to the ED9:

Wow! So someone called the short nozzle gold and the longer one brass and it stuck!?

Gimme a break! They're both made of brass. One is polished, the other one has a rough surface.

And yes, the "gold" nozzle provides an extreme V shape sound profile with boosted bass, boosted (fatiguing) treble and thin lifeless mids.

I suppose that bassheads will be more than happy with the ED9s. They just have that "boom & sparkle". They sound best with electronic music but I wouldn't recommend them for rock/folk/blues etc...The mids are just so artificial and recessed.

Chill bro. No one here thinks they're made of gold (I hope...). Brass and Gold can also be used to describe colors 
wink_face.gif

In this case it is a very clear way to differentiate between the two nozzles since short/long is not always clear in pictures. They've also been described that way in the thread since at least mid 2015, so the gold/brass descriptors are nothing new.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #16,570 of 63,834
  ED9 (king of the bashead IEMs), ZN1 mini, ED "Special Edition" (aka KZ EDSE), ZS1 (1st gen with brass ring not version with mesh screen), and ED3 are the most basshead-oriented IEMs in my collection (in that order). You can also do the closed port mod on the ATE, resulting in a very warm signature.

Where do I buy these KZ tips? 

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #16,571 of 63,834

Oh wow. We hear these VERY differently, lmao! I'm 100% on board with the original ZS1 and maybe the ED3 if you're referring to the C version (red or blue model). The original silver ED3 is pretty bass-lite. The ZN1 Mini, EDse, and ED9 (gold filters) all have boosted bass, but the ZS1 shames them in my experience.

You bring up a valid point - everyone's ears hear something a little different. It's also not helped by the fact that there exists variation in KZ IEMs due to QC. I've had pairs before with channel imbalances, a pair of HDS2 that had glue clogging the housing vents (and thus sounded very weak compared to 2 other pairs of HDS2), and I read reports on HF of issues with the vents on ATE that were blocked or clogged (and some said that they simply removed the vents altogether on a later revision).

I mean, look at the super #1 qrawlity controwl on this poor pair of ZS3 - crushed sound tube & driver all whopper-jawed:

And sorry I should have clarified the ED3, as KZ has come out with numerous iterations of this - the original silver ED3, ED3c, ED3m Youth Edition, and they even had an ED3 Extreme. They also seemed to refer (possibly internally) to an ED3 'Acme' version. How many of those are the same as one another just painted a different color, or actually revised drivers I don't know. It's very confusing, because they have a history of quietly revising models without changing the model (as seen with the ZS1 brass ring vs grille). The ED3 I have is the ED3m Youth Edition.

On the ZS1 and ZN1, I was never able to get a really good fit due to their odd shape unless I held them in. When I did so, they both had crazy bass because it improved the seal I guess. I don't know if that was due more to the shape of my ear drums or something with the length of the flange. Maybe that's why the ED9 were head and shoulders above the others on bass? They fit my ears really well (the best out of every KZ I own except the ZS3) = best seal and thus insane bass.

Thinking about it more, it's entirely possible that I was covering up some of the vents with my fingers while holding the ZS1/ZN1 in. There is definitely untapped tuning potential on both by closing 1 or more of the 4 vents on the front of the ZS1 and ZN1. Has anyone ever modded this and reported back with the results?

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #16,573 of 63,834
  Where do I buy these KZ tips? 

I've had good luck with this seller on the tips:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Pairs-6pcs-L-M-S-In-Ear-Original-KZ-Tips-Earbuds-Earphone-Silicone-Eartips-Ear/32723329957.html

Ordered them multiple times with no issues. The most competitive price I have yet to find once you factor in shipping.

I am not sure which model they come on stock, but I have every single type of tip that KZ makes, and this one is just awesome. At the tip it becomes slightly pointed/cone shaped, which I think allows for a deeper insertion as well as being much more comfortable. The cone shape is similar to Spinfits.

You can see the shape here:

And instead of having a really wide flange like some of their tips, the hole at the end is very narrow (focusing the sound like a bass cannon at your eardrums). This is what made the ZS1 1st gen so powerful - it had a brass ring in the end of the flange that created a very narrow opening.

The other killer feature of the KZ Starline tips is the surface of the silicone isn't silky smooth like their other tips - it has a textured surface that makes it grip like nothing I have seen before. This is by far my favorite tip, and I like them better than Spinfits, Sony Hybrid, JVC Spin Dots, and KZ turbos.

You can kind of make out the textured finish in this photo:

And compare the flange opening of the Starlines to the KZ Turbos:

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #16,574 of 63,834
They also seemed to refer (possibly internally) to an ED3 'Acme' version. How many of those are the same as one another just painted a different color, or actually revised drivers I don't know. It's very confusing, because they have a history of quietly revising models without changing the model (as seen with the ZS1 brass ring vs grille). The ED3 I have is the ED3m Youth Edition.

I have both the ed3 and ed3m and I can vouch that they're sounds different from each other, ed3 is more brighter and more dryer close to ed9 with brass. But i guess they're using the same driver but the different lengths of nozzle and housing material may the one that cause the sound difference. Cmiiw

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #16,575 of 63,834
Are the starline tips on ebay? I thought I had them with the ATE, I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back