Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #16,576 of 63,834
  I've had good luck with this seller on the tips:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Pairs-6pcs-L-M-S-In-Ear-Original-KZ-Tips-Earbuds-Earphone-Silicone-Eartips-Ear/32723329957.html

Ordered them multiple times with no issues. The most competitive price I have yet to find once you factor in shipping.

I am not sure which model they come on stock, but I have every single type of tip that KZ makes, and this one is just awesome. At the tip it becomes slightly pointed/cone shaped, which I think allows for a deeper insertion as well as being much more comfortable. The cone shape is similar to Spinfits.

You can see the shape here:

And instead of having a really wide flange like some of their tips, the hole at the end is very narrow (focusing the sound like a bass cannon at your eardrums). This is what made the ZS1 1st gen so powerful - it had a brass ring in the end of the flange that created a very narrow opening.

The other killer feature of the KZ Starline tips is the surface of the silicone isn't silky smooth like their other tips - it has a textured surface that makes it grip like nothing I have seen before. This is by far my favorite tip, and I like them better than Spinfits, Sony Hybrid, JVC Spin Dots, and KZ turbos.

You can kind of make out the textured finish in this photo:

And compare the flange opening of the Starlines to the KZ Turbos:

Thanks. How long does shipping take? 

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #16,577 of 63,834
  Thanks. How long does shipping take? 

Like most things from China, don't be in a rush. Amazon Prime this ain't LOL

Shipping takes a good 30 days to the US if you want the free shipping (surface, meaning slow boat from China). If you want to pay more for shipping, look for the 'e-packet' shipping, which is usually half that time (sometimes quicker). E-packets usually have tracking if you are one of those impatient types that likes to watch the shipment like a kid on Christmas morning.

I buy 5+ sets at at time, so I only have to deal with the loooong wait once. It's worth the wait though.

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #16,578 of 63,834

Chill bro. No one here thinks they're made of gold (I hope...). Brass and Gold can also be used to describe colors 
wink_face.gif

Whaaaat? I thought they were SOLID GOLD man. I mean, they cost EIGHT DOLLARS - I expected no less than solid 24k gold nozzles. Or at the very least unobtanium. WTH!

haha

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #16,579 of 63,834
Are the starline tips on ebay? I thought I had them with the ATE, I don't.

I just looked & didn't see any. You can count the number of KZ tips on eBay on 1 hand. On Aliexpress there's so many you'll be falling over them - every model KZ has ever made.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #16,580 of 63,834
I think the starline tips only come default with the ZST atm

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #16,581 of 63,834
Mar 17, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #16,582 of 63,834
I just looked & didn't see any. You can count the number of KZ tips on eBay on 1 hand. On Aliexpress there's so many you'll be falling over them - every model KZ has ever made.

Darn 30 days. Hopefully they are bundled with the ZST, which i ordered a couple of weeks ago.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #16,583 of 63,834
Darn 30 days. Hopefully they are bundled with the ZST, which i ordered a couple of weeks ago.

Ah, patience is a virtue my friend :0)

That's odd - I don't remember them being bundled with my ZST. Anyone know if they're supposed to be bundled with the carbon fiber/black ones, the blue/purple ones, or both?

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #16,584 of 63,834
Ah, patience is a virtue my friend :0)

That's odd - I don't remember them being bundled with my ZST. Anyone know if they're supposed to be bundled with the carbon fiber/black ones, the blue/purple ones, or both?

hahaha NICE i just got them and opened the box and indeed ZST(blue purple) do include one pair. Win Win.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #16,585 of 63,834
I dug out my ATE and did the open grille + nozzle port closing mod.

It took less than 15 minutes to do the whole project.

1. Pop case apart by very gently squeezing the seam between the 2 halves of the shell with vice grips.
2. Cut desired hole with Dremel. Remove any burs (I used an X-acto knife and gently went around the hole, chamfering/deburring the sharp edge on both sides).
3. Rip mesh screens from broken 10 year old apple earbuds.
4. Trim screen with scissors & glue into ATE. Do not use super glue, as it will craze and fog up the inside of the plastic. Use something like 2-part epoxy (applied with a toothpick) or Lazer Bond.

Why did KZ not release a version with this configuration? These are solid audio gold, and KZ is the King of the 'release-a-new-IEM-weekly'. I figured they'd have been all over this like white on rice.

I like the sound of these modded ATE so much, I have a pair of ATE-S on the way, as those are supposed to have different drivers (not sure though).

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #16,586 of 63,834
  I know this is welcome to 2015, but I finally dug out my ATE and did the open grille + flange port closing mod.

wOwSeRz!

It took less than 15 minutes to do the whole project.

1. Pop case apart with vice grips.
2. Cut hole with Dremel.
3. Rip mesh screens from broken 10 year old apple earbuds.
4. Trim screen with scissors & glue into ATE.

Why did KZ not release a version with this configuration? These are solid audio gold, and KZ is the King of the 'release-a-new-IEM-weekly'. I figured they'd have been all over this like white on rice.

I like the sound of these modded ATE so much, I have a pair of ATE-S on the way, as those are supposed to have different drivers (not sure though).

Haven't you been reading, the KZ sets are not made of solid gold. Jeez!

:wink:

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #16,587 of 63,834

Chill bro. No one here thinks they're made of gold (I hope...). Brass and Gold can also be used to describe colors 
wink_face.gif

In this case it is a very clear way to differentiate between the two nozzles since short/long is not always clear in pictures. They've also been described that way in the thread since at least mid 2015, so the gold/brass descriptors are nothing new.

I always stuck with shiny and dull/moldy (it goes green over time) haha

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #16,588 of 63,834

​
hahaha NICE i just got them and opened the box and indeed ZST(blue purple) do include one pair. Win Win.

Your lucky day!

Let us know how you like the ATR. I'm very curious what your impressions are.

Did you get the KZ silver plated cable for the ZST? It makes the ZS3 sound niiiice, and no more microphonics! I need to pick one up for my ZST because I liked it so much on the ZS3.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #16,589 of 63,834

Oh wow. We hear these VERY differently, lmao! I'm 100% on board with the original ZS1 and maybe the ED3 if you're referring to the C version (red or blue model). The original silver ED3 is pretty bass-lite. The ZN1 Mini, EDse, and ED9 (gold filters) all have boosted bass, but the ZS1 shames them in my experience.

Hey, after your comment, I decided to get out my ED9 to compare them to the ZS1 again. Maybe I was not remembering things clearly. Sure enough, the ES9 destroys. However, it dawned on me that I had modded the ED9 way back when I first got it. I had replaced the foam in the gold tubes with a generous helping of fiberfill, and (more importantly) I completely sealed the vents in the rear with glue. I had completely forgot that I had done those mods, as it was a long time ago and I don't listen to the ED9 that often.

So if you are a basshead and have a pair of ED9, take 10 seconds out of your busy life and put a piece of tape over the rear grilles and try them out (especially with Starline tips as they add the maximum bass). Even if you leave the stock foam inserts in the gold tubes, sealing off the rear grilles will make your head rattle. This is my default test song to evaluate bass modifications (not the best resolution on YouTube, but enough to give you an idea. A high-res version slays, especially starting around 1:40):

The fiberfill knocks down the uber brightness more than the foam inserts did (I just swapped the stock foam inserts back in to verify).

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #16,590 of 63,834
I have both the ed3 and ed3m and I can vouch that they're sounds different from each other, ed3 is more brighter and more dryer close to ed9 with brass. But i guess they're using the same driver but the different lengths of nozzle and housing material may the one that cause the sound difference. Cmiiw

Good to know. Glad I have the ED3M then. Not a fan of the ED9 with brass tube. Way too bright for my ears.

I wonder how the ED3C and "Acme" version compare? Anyone have any details on these models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back