Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 9, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #15,226 of 63,914
What Iems is the ZST competing with for real? Xiaomi piston 2? Etymotic MC5? Soundmagic pl30? Just curious where these stand on isolation, particularly. But I am also curious about sound quality. Some stuff has turned me off. I like treble but not fatiguing treble, and I like bass to be as controlled and as tight as possible. No need to go too low. Mostly jazz music in my ears.

Some here have said ZSTs are comparable to Shure SE215s.  For my ears, these are ALMOST (but not quite) as good as UE Triplefi 10s which I own, and comfort-wise MUCH better than my triplefi 10s.

Sound isolation is really good for me (using the stock medium starline tips).  Treble performance is a highlight for me, it's strong enough without being fatiguing, which is a fine line to balance.  Bass is there (as long as you get a good seal), but not boomy.  ZS3 had much boomier bass.

I think you'll like the ZST alot, and they're cheap enough to just give it a try!

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #15,227 of 63,914
Ok, zsr pro-You are not alone :).......but at the same time investing. $$$ on ali? sry,not me. not yet. :wink:
I have the LZ A4 and Kz ZST and ZS3. The LZ A4 are worth their price and more. But some days, you want the easy KZ flavor. I use Comply isolation tips on the KZ. With the A4, and the changeable filters, I can change the flavor as the music dictates.

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #15,228 of 63,914
  Please try KZ "starline" silicone tips with ATR - they make ATR sound more coherent and balanced. Also detail, clarity and separation is slightly improved.

Not the person you were replying to but I own the starline tips and whirlwind tips and the small tips are far too small for my ears and the mediums are a bit too big. Really annoying.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #15,229 of 63,914
Yeah, depends on person ear shape. Maybe for You - try Spiral Dot MS size that is inbetween M and S?

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #15,230 of 63,914
  Not the person you were replying to but I own the starline tips and whirlwind tips and the small tips are far too small for my ears and the mediums are a bit too big. Really annoying.

The difference between the small and medium is not THAT much...a bit too big is normally ok unless it's warping the silicone and breaking the seal.  

Perhaps try thinner tips (most other IEMs come with those cheap thin ones, KZ stock tips are REALLY good), or some hybrids that are silicone + foam.  I think there's a post here where somebody showed how to make them yourself as well. Tri-flange tips could also help.

Worse case just get foam tips which will fit the best, but you'll need to keep replacing them.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #15,231 of 63,914
confused_face(1).gif
 no idea what's going on.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #15,233 of 63,914
I have the LZ A4 and Kz ZST and ZS3. The LZ A4 are worth their price and more. But some days, you want the easy KZ flavor. I use Comply isolation tips on the KZ. With the A4, and the changeable filters, I can change the flavor as the music dictates.

what makes you think lz a4 is worth their price when some days, you want the easy KZ flavor?
popcorn.gif

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #15,234 of 63,914
So after confirming that the ATR are not an upgrade to the ATE as many claimed... (they are completely different-sounding earphones with very differing characteristics overlap with each other much less than the actual design of the earphones) and confirming the the ZST are also not an upgrade to the ZS3 or ATR for the same reasons as the ones mentioned between the parenthesis I'm here to slay two of this thread's enduring repeated questions and boogeymen:
Is the ZST colorful, also referred to as ZST Pro by some vendors, better or different than the non-colorful ZST?

And finally... the one you've all been waiting for: Does the ZST silver upgrade cable improve the sound quality of the ZST?

Lets get started!

Disclaimer: for the sake of this comparison I will be using the same soundsource for all the tests, the same audio files and when possible I will share links to those files so that you may, or may not, verify any of the differences I find, if any are found at all.

Gear and reasoning:
To compare these I put on the same eartips, KZ's memory foam ones because I've found that for my ear's shapes and specifically with the ZST they seal better than the "star" KZ earphone tips that come with them. My source for this test will be an Audio GD NFB-12 which at this point is no longer available for purchase. Reason why I'm using the Audio GD rather than the Fiio portable DAC/AMP I own is because I'm much more used to the Audio GD now and its just slightly warmer signature that switching to the Fiio would require further adjustment of my hearing and might drive away some of my impressions.

My player of choice is Foobar 2000 running on Windows 10. My android device is a Xiaomi Mi5 which has a  Qualcomm WCD9335 DAC and the player I use on it is the GoneMad Music Player using the device's own equalization.
ZST vs ZST Colorful (aka the ZST PRO)

Myth: Some people claim or think the ZST Colored are a retuned or different/improved version of the original ZST. This may be due to the price difference (the colorful variant is generally more expensive) or because some vendors erronously called the colorful ZST the ZST Pro such as the KZ "offical" store on Aliexpress.    

They sound pretty much the same. I've found that the colorful might have an ever so slight difference in some frequencies but that may be because they haven't been burned in or just because of the general way they are sealing in my ear.
An example of such a difference, is for example on the Celia Pavey cover "Feel Good Inc" there is a shaker (at least I think it is a shaker or some variant of one) on the background that is ever slightly more forward than the other ZST, but the difference is miniscule. You'd have an incredibly detailed ear to discern them apart and even then you'd be grasping at straws. I wish I had a Vibro Veritas to confirm this (anyone selling one by any chance?) but to my ears they sound almost indistinguishable from each other.
I think the confusion stems from the poor translation of the Aliexpress store more than anything. The official Taobao store has no mention of the ZST Pro anywhere on its product lineup. The colored ZST are part of the same product page as the ZST and Chrome's Translation of the page mearly translates them as ZST Colorful: https://world.taobao.com/item/538360481419.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-218018788.24.ykPAn2

MYTH BUSTED!

KZ ZST normal cable vs Silver Upgrade Cable

For this test I will be switching between the ZST Colorful with the stock cable and the Grey ZST with the silver cable.
I'll be honest with you all, I wasn't expecting to find much of a difference, if any at all, and I've been going back and forth repeatedly for a couple of hours now, took a break to make sure I wasn't going insane, came back, tested again and there is actually slight difference. I was so unconvinced and skeptical that I burned in the ZST colorful for dozens of hours, switched the cable back and forth between them to reach my conclusion and the conclusion is that there is in fact a slight difference in the sound with either cable.

I can only discern the difference in higher pitched sounds and in the bass, but the silver cable seems to ever so slightly bring these back. The highs are just slightly less high pitched and piercing and the sound, vocals seem slightly less forward  and in its entirety the cable makes the ZST feel slightly warmer.

Let me be clear on something though, these aren't day-and-night type differences, and I doubt most people would be able to discern the difference unless they were listening to the two cables back to back as I am and switching between very quickly. The silver cable doesn't change the character of the ZST, but it does slightly tweak them.
I honestly don't know why there is such a discernible difference as I, like many others reading this thread, used to consider cable upgrades a silly purchase outside of aesthetic reasons. I am aware that cables tend to lose signal quality depending on their length but the quality gains for relatively short cables is in general considered more expensive than it's worth.

This cable cost me € 7,62 whereas the ZST cost me € 13,16 for the colorful model and €11.76 for the grey model.  The "bang for buck" I got with the ZST is definitely not there with the cable but if you consider the ZST and the cable packed together we're still talking about an under € 20 earphone. That's less than, or close to, the price I paid for some other well-regarded chinese IEM (like the Tennmak Pro as an example) and the cable has a couple of practical benefits:

1. it slightly tones down the brightness and harshness of the earphones that some find displeasing
2. it's a great improvement over the stock cable. They don't get tied as often, are nicely braided and don't require weights, ear guides or anything special to stay in place and just let you enjoy music whereas the stock cable and it's "springy" characteristics and design of the stock cable can often cause small problems.

They aren't a must-buy or obligatory, but they help make what I consider a very nice earphone better. Whether or not that's worth over half their cost for that improvement is a decision you'll have to make yourself. With this said I have to say that this myth is surprisingly kind of true.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #15,235 of 63,914
@Griffith great comments, I echo your findings on the silver vs stock cable.  

On the point about price.  Yes the silver cable is more than half the price of the stock ZST.  But that's mainly because the ZST earbud itself is so darn cheap!
Take any upgrade cable out there and the ZST silver cable is still generally cheaper.  

I'm happy I got the silver cable bundle as it was cheaper than getting the silver cable separately, so I least have a spare to use when one eventually breaks
I just wish the silver cable came with a mic as well, but that seems to be quite rare on upgrade cables in general...

Meanwhile grey vs colorful ZST.  The comments on this thread earlier on the differences may have been with EARLY batches of the grey ZSTs, which seemed to either have lots of QC issues or was actually tuned differently.  Current batches of the grey and colorful are purely aesthetic difference, the innards are exactly the same, I've confirmed this with the official KZ store on taobao.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #15,237 of 63,914
One thing I think KZ does better than any other iem I own is vocal pesentation in rap music. When I want to find out what an artist is saying, I always plug in a KZ product - try it with the new Run the Jewels album. It's uncanny.

Did some searching as I hadn't heard of RTJ before. I was expecting something that would make me grimace and cringe like lil' Wayne, Drake etc (no offense to any fans) but was very pleasantly surprised. Can't believe I didn't know about this earlier. Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #15,238 of 63,914
I went through about 50 of the 1000+ pages in this thread, but alas, I could not really find what I am looking for. 

HDSE, I found only some vague 'they are bad, no, not that bad' ... kinda remarks ... how are they? I am always looking for something great for running, my dream would be a BT version of the ZS3 (feel free to point out some other BT headsets that I should look into, I recently got some elecom HPC40, i think this might me Japan only, which I really like and they actually stay put) , feel free to tell me

speaking of which: my pair of ZS3 is getting 'old' ... the mic portion came off, I taped it back, it still works ...  is there actually a place to order replacement cables that are not more expensive than getting a new pair of ZS3s? 

and IF getting a new pair, what is the current, trustworthy AE seller de jour? 

Thanks

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #15,239 of 63,914
from what i've read, the qcy qy 19 is better than the hdse. you might also consider the tenmak pros with the Bluetooth cable. other option is using a Bluetooth receiver, then you can use whatever earphones you like

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #15,240 of 63,914
  Did some searching as I hadn't heard of RTJ before. I was expecting something that would make me grimace and cringe like lil' Wayne, Drake etc (no offense to any fans) but was very pleasantly surprised. Can't believe I didn't know about this earlier. Thanks!
beerchug.gif

RTJ is fantastic. Killer Mike and EL-P make for a good duo. I also enjoy Aesop Rock and Rob Sonic on their Hail Mary Mallon releases. Check those out if you haven't already. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back