Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 19, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #12,871 of 64,162
Guys can you help me out picking which is better out of these iems? I already have the KZ ED9 and they sound fantastic but the mids sounds a little bit recessed for me. I'm looking for a mid-forward iem and somewhat also bassy but not basshead level and a smooth treble. I'm also planning to buy a Fiio K1 with one of these iems. Hope you can help me.
1) KZ ATR
2) KZ ATE
3) KZ ZS3
4) KZ ZST

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #12,872 of 64,162
  Guys can you help me out picking which is better out of these iems? I already have the KZ ED9 and they sound fantastic but the mids sounds a little bit recessed for me. I'm looking for a mid-forward iem and somewhat also bassy but not basshead level and a smooth treble. I'm also planning to buy a Fiio K1 with one of these iems. Hope you can help me.
1) KZ ATR
2) KZ ATE
3) KZ ZS3
4) KZ ZST

ED9 mids recessed?! But how then? ATE/ATR would be a nice cheap companion though the ZS3 is a sort of upgrade to the ATR (relatively then)

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #12,873 of 64,162
  ED9 mids recessed?! But how then? ATE/ATR would be a nice cheap companion though the ZS3 is a sort of upgrade to the ATR (relatively then)

Compared to my LG Quadbeat 3 they sound recessed especially when it comes to male vocals, violins, guitars and pianos. The album I tested to compare both earphones is One Republic's album Oh My My. There, I noticed the recessed mids of the ED9 using both filters.

Does the ZS3's bass bleed into the mids though? And how's the cable compared to the ATR?

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #12,874 of 64,162
Got my first order from gearbest today. China>UK in 10 days... not bad at all.
The thing is I bought a pair of Tennmak Pros while waiting for my KZ's to arrive and I like the pros so much I'm not in much of a hurry to try the KZs I bought.
So I thought I would see if anyone wants to trade/swap while they are still new. If no-one wants to swap I'll try/use 1 or 2 pair and keep the others as spares (like I originally intended).

As a new member (long time lurker) I cant post in the sales/trades section so....
I am willing to send first if you are a trusted member on Headfi (preferably with a good track record for sales/swaps).

Up for grabs:
2x pair of ZS3 with mic
2x pair of ATR w/o mic

Brand new, delivered today. The ATR's had no shrink wrapping on but the ZS3s did, although I have removed the wrap from 1 ZS3 to check contents.

I would be looking to swap all or some of the above for something that sounds similar to the tennmak pro's....or possibly **** 4in1s, KZ ZST, etc open to suggestions but would want something that sounds at least slightly similar to the tennmaks.

Again I am happy to post the earphones first if you are a trusted/long-standing headfi member.

***Alternatively... (and to keep this from going off-topic) If anyone here owns the Tennmak Pro's and the ZS3 or ATR, could you please tell me whether or not I should be trying the ZS3 or ATR considering I Love the sound of the tennmaks so much?***

Thanks in advance for any advice on that, and sorry for the long first post... also I would like to point out that I am not trying to sell the KZs (for profit or not) I would rather trade them if anything.
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #12,876 of 64,162
I wish KZ would sell the silicone tips separately, too. The seal´s excellent.

The KZ silicone tips are ok, but the 'foam' tips that were included with my ATE and ATE-S are terrible. Hard, not flexible and they don't shrink when you pinch them. Not memory foam at all I think. More akin to rubberized foam, that's all I can come up with now.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #12,877 of 64,162
The KZ silicone tips are ok, but the 'foam' tips that were included with my ATE and ATE-S are terrible. Hard, not flexible and they don't shrink when you pinch them. Not memory foam at all I think. More akin to rubberized foam, that's all I can come up with now.

All  foam tips I´ve tried so far, incl. the KZ, were horrible. They always push the iem out of my ear, no matter how deep I push them in.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #12,880 of 64,162
  I have the ZS3, ZST, and ATE. I have a severe fit issue with the ZS3. I also have this pressurized feelings on both ears but more so on the left. These just don't fit my ears at all, the connectors rub against the side of my ears all the time. It is a shame, I like the sound of the ZS3 quite a bit. The tips keep getting stuck inside my ears also.

The ZS3 and ZST made the ATE (my first KZ) quite incompetent for me.

Is it just me or these KZs really need to be burnt in before they reach their true characteristics?

Same here.  The ZS3 gives a more pressurized feeling in my left ear. Right ear seems ok. Weird because it happens with both the stock silicone KZ tips and also with JVC Spiral Dots.

So you like the ZS3 and ZST more than your ATE?

I had a listen with my ZS3 during a commute yesterday, somehow I found the ZS3 sounded a bit boomy and mid-recessed. And that's after a day of burning in. Funny because I remember when I tried them OOTB they sounded better then. Not sure what's going on. Could be that now I prefer the way my ATR sounds.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #12,881 of 64,162

Same here.  The ZS3 gives a more pressurized feeling in my left ear. Right ear seems ok. Weird because it happens with both the stock silicone KZ tips and also with JVC Spiral Dots.

I had a listen with my ZS3 during a commute yesterday, somehow I found the ZS3 sounded a bit boomy and mid-recessed. And that's after a day of burning in. Funny because I remember when I tried them OOTB they sounded better then. Not sure what's going on. Could be that now I prefer the way my ATR sounds.

To me, both sound somewhat the same (same characteristics) though both with wide bore tips. Also as I said earlier try to relieve pressure out of your ear canal by pulling your ear once you have a seal to let air in.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #12,882 of 64,162
1) KZ ATR
2) KZ ATE
3) KZ ZS3
4) KZ ZST

I would definitely recommend you to try the ZST, the one with hybrid drivers. I never tried the ATR. The ATE feels like they have an L shape to my ears. Lots of bass and subbass but bloomy, mid recessed, and not so sparkly highs. The ZS3 have a slight V shape for me. Bloomy bass though, but definitely great subbass, great for EDM. I hear the mids more pronounced with the ZST, just brighter in general. The tightest bass among all the KZs but lacking in the subbass department. I like these the most with female vocals. ZST has the best resolution I feel. I cant compare with the ED9 since i never heard them.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #12,884 of 64,162

I will try out the ZS3 with different tips and see again. I like the sound just cant wear them for long.

The ZST on the other hand fits my ears very nicely. quite a different sound to the ZS3 though. Much brighter, much more detailed, tighter and much more controlled bass.

If you think the ATR sounds similar to the ZS3, I think I will give the ATR a try, perhaps they will fit me better. ATE fits me just fine, should be similar right? 

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #12,885 of 64,162
Anyone here own the ZS3's and/or the ATR's along with Tennmak Pro's? Could you compare the sound of the KZs to the tennmaks? Or let me know if its worth trying the KZs (I Love the sound of the Tennmaks)?? do they sound at all similar?
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back