Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 23, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #12,976 of 63,917
  Differences in other series can be also on QKZ HD9 vs.KZ HD9 ? Not trying to make a point or argue, just that there can be differences. Heck, if even KZ own ATE series has at least 4-5 different batches, then claiming QKZ vs. KZ branding doesn`t have differences is kind of "wrong" in my eyes... 

Just thinking out loud.

I think I misunderstood in that you were saying the HD9 was not an actual KZ. My apologies. The QKZ version, yeah, that's probably going to end up being different if QKZ versions of past KZs are any indication.

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #12,977 of 63,917

I have both, the ATE S is a fun, very smooth sound. Bass is big and a bit boomy, but it's that low down warmth that I love. detail is decent enough, mids slightly pulled back in the mix.

ATR, all round better performer. Great detail, similar bass to ATE S but much more accurate and better resolution. Mids and treble nice and clear. I can see why it's so liked here... it certianly gave me the wow factor on first listen. Only had a wee listen with it as I'm at work and sneaking away to listen to it lol.

harry
My experiments with the ATE S have shown, that the bass of the ATE S is only boomy if the seal is bad, the tips aren´t right or you didn´t insert them deep enough. When the tips, seal and depth is right, the bass and subbass is nothing but powerful and hart hitting. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #12,978 of 63,917

harry
My experiments with the ATE S have shown, that the bass of the ATE S is only boomy if the seal is bad, the tips aren´t right or you didn´t insert them deep enough. When the tips, seal and depth is right, the bass and subbass is nothing but powerful and hart hitting. 

Hey Haiku, I've used various tips. Foams, silicon and even SpinFits which practically grantee a good seal for me every time. What i have noticed and mentioned was they need quite a bit of power behind them to get that slam. With my DAC the bass does tighten up, and with my Xduoo X3 DAP it takes 85/100 to get the best out of them. i still love them, still one of my favourite IEMS (currently that is lol). thanks

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #12,979 of 63,917
Well, had a day with the ATR. These are REALLY good sounding :)

The detail is simply stunning at this price point. Good tight bass, decent enough depth. The mids and treble remind me a bit of the re-400 which is quite a compliment given the price difference. They have just a little bit of warmth that doesn't make them bright sounding. Soundstage depth is good, width good but i've heard better even at budget prices. vocals very articulate, as is separation.

I'm so happy to have found a set that have good clarity up top without even getting close to sibilance. 

An absolute steal at £10

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/wwwaproearcouk?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

For me they ATR give me the critical listening but still musical. The ATE S give me the all out fun factor.

ATE S > ATR > ZS1

What next? ZST perhaps 

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #12,982 of 63,917
@bhazard Some more evolution would be nice.

I would also like to see them refine their lineup; ZS series for the bass cannons, ED series for a fun, v-shaped sound, AT series for a more balanced or neutral sound. Something like that.

I wanna see more zs1s with the non mesh ends (unless there still is some somewhere?

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #12,985 of 63,917

ATR is one of the most allround earphones KZ ever made, I think it works with most genres. If only it were transparent like the ATE... damn I like that design.

+1 Love how they sound great right out of the package! I've been listening to the ATR's for 2 days now and I like them equally as much as my original first ATE's. Awesome buy!!!

I think it's about time for KZ to evolve a bit. They tried with the hybrid, but I hope they learned from it and build a better one for the next model.

Get me a great sounding hybrid at their current price structure, and I will be buying more KZ again.

+1 True! .....If URBANFUN can do it? KZ can too!
etysmile.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #12,986 of 63,917
ATR is one of the most allround earphones KZ ever made, I think it works with most genres. If only it were transparent like the ATE... damn I like that design.

+1 Love how they sound great right out of the package! I've been listening to the ATR's for 2 days now and I like them equally as much as my original first ATE's. Awesome buy!!!

That` s very good to hear! 2nd gen modified ATE has been my all time favorite IEM, prefer them over many other I own, including some well known chinese hybrids.
Will probably do mods to ATR too.

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #12,988 of 63,917

Hey Haiku, I've used various tips. Foams, silicon and even SpinFits which practically grantee a good seal for me every time. What i have noticed and mentioned was they need quite a bit of power behind them to get that slam. With my DAC the bass does tighten up, and with my Xduoo X3 DAP it takes 85/100 to get the best out of them. i still love them, still one of my favourite IEMS (currently that is lol). thanks

Alright. My post was also meant for some newbies, who think they just have to insert iems, then complain they sound *****, not knowing that there´s more to it to make them sound great. 
cool.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #12,990 of 63,917
Wow... KZ kind of suprises me again... ATR is VERY good OOTB... for 4.65$ ? Seriously? Best deal on SQ vs. price I`ve came across! 

Now to the bad part... 

KZ WHY oh WHY are You still using that ****y cable (rubbery, springy, sticky) ? 90* jack is also little bulk. 

Back to ge good part...

They should be awesome modding material and I suspect they will top over my FF-mod after modding 
tongue.gif

In stock they have quite similar overall sound to my 2nd gen ATE FF-mod but lack little in bass tightness/detail, decay/reverb detail, airiness and soundstage openness compared to FF-mod.
But still, they have very good and well balanced and quite detailed sound with accurate imaging and presentation.

Now... ATR to the "burning station" for a while and will listen them after some ~100h playtime. After that - tip-rolling sessions.

Will be getting more of those for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back