Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #4,831 of 63,835
Some time ago thought about it but then I jumped on KZ hype train... glad I did :wink:

Edit:

Btw, another thing I noticed about ANV... With lower quality and badly recorded music they easily bring out slight hiss.
It`s not noticeable while music is playing but on quiet places it can be heard sometimes. 

And I do believe they benefit from amping in sub-bass department. Just tried them with DX50 high-gain (which I usually do not use because mid-gain is more dynamic)... and sub-bass is actually quite good. Here are some sub-bass test songs out many many I have in my EDM collection:

ANV does quite good with those songs actually but since its bass department is fast hitting, clear and accurate, I find it lack in sub-bass sustain/roll-off with this kind of music and prefer ED9/ATE for it (last song from 1:50 is good example for it).
Some high-tone sounds/instruments with this kind of music can also be littlebit "hurting" because ANV has different imaging/focus with highs than ATE/ED9. In case of some highs (depends on mastering) ANV "hits" them right into middle of headspace while ATE/ED9 keep them more away from headspace centre point (using same song for all three to evaluate).
Like I said, imo ANV is more suitable for acoustic/instrumental/vocals. 
  I honestly can`t rate one over another because they have different sound signature and music focus.
ATE is great all-rounder while ED9 is more suitable for EDM/pop-rock and ANV for acoustic/instrumental/vocal. 

Hope this is useful for somebody making choice between ATE/ANV/ED9 :wink:

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #4,832 of 63,835
Does ED9 sound like an improved "Piston 2"?

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #4,833 of 63,835
No. Not just improved... it has everything better... better soundstage, separation, imaging, bass quality etc.
If You want something very similar to Piston2 from KZ lineup, then r35 with foam mod is very similar when same tips being used.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #4,834 of 63,835
Decided to give EDSE another chance.
Conclusion: It's still a very aggressive tin can that's a good value who like that signature. It's much drier than I remember and it's very dependent on song choice.

Songs I can recommend:
Female vocal-centric:
Can I- Alina Baraz & Galmatias. RnB.
Noche de Paz- Fifth Harmony. Silent night in Spanish.
Ghost- Halsey. 1Mic1Take. Indie-acoustic.

Punk-rock:
Robbers- The 1975.

Wondering if I should get a DAC and ATE/ANV or scale up and get the Tenores/M6 Pro/Soundmagic E80.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #4,835 of 63,835
I recommend getting DAC first and accordingly to DAC sound signature make IEM choice. It all starts from The Source! :wink:

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #4,836 of 63,835
cool.gif
Near as I can figure there must be GIGANTIC differences in Builds for certain KZ Models. The Bass on My Pair of EDSE with Mic. Absolutely Destroys the ED9 in Quantity and Quality, It is Fast Clear and Covers the ENTIRE Bass Spectrum: Sub, Contra, Low, Mid and Upper. In fact, I would call all the Frequencies just south of True Midrange, (Middle Mids), Extended--while those North of True Mid are Recessed with the Exception of Mid Treble which is also extended. Like I said earlier, it is the Polar Opposite of the ED9. Comparatively the ED9 is More recessed in the Bass region, (with the Exception of a Very Extended Mid Bass), to True Midrange and all the frequencies are extended from True Mid. to insanely High Treble. I had to Play around for quite a while with the EQ on my player for each one to figure this out. It's why the EDSE is Darker and the ED9 is Brighter. Contrary to what some are saying I find they Both have equal Refinement, Resolution, and Definition only it occurs in 2 different frequency ranges. The ED9 as a result apparently, (not actually), has greater resolution as more normal listening frequencies that are quite etched, including Female Vocals, occur in it's extended frequency range.

I'm going to post a video for you to test this out. You only need to listen to the 1st Track with the ED9 first, then rewind it and use the EDSE. The Sonic difference will be readily apparent. Use The Tips that sound best to you. It has decent Resolution as it is in 320kbps.

JMHO I hope You get the same results I did. Otherwise I'm insane and it's affected my hearing.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #4,837 of 63,835
Guys, just a quick report on those nice looking "KZ" IEM cases (the square ones with the carbon fibre-look top/bottom and the red seam around the outside). 

I just received the three I ordered from seller: "Shenzhen Li Lang Da Co.,Ltd" 

The cases are nice enough, with just one issue: They stink.  As in, they smell BAD, really bad.

It's the smell of cheap glue and textiles that you normally get with a lot of Chinese made goods.  Normally, this might not be a significant issue, but I'm a bit weary of the foul odor somehow being passed along to my IEMs if I store them in one of these cases.  They're worn on one's head, after all, and I don't want that odor when I'm listening to music. 

I'm going to try leaving the cases open for a few days to see if the odor subsides, but I'm not holding my breath (pun intended). 

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #4,838 of 63,835
The Bass on My Pair of EDSE with Mic. Absolutely Destroys the ED9 in Quantity...Covers the ENTIRE Bass Spectrum...Comparatively the ED9 is More recessed in the Bass region.

blink.gif

Quote:
  Near as I can figure there must be GIGANTIC differences in Builds for certain KZ Models. 

Otherwise I'm insane and it's affected my hearing.

Must be one of those (or those women pics) 
biggrin.gif

Though, I have faom modded brass tips, maybe there`s the difference.
Use The Tips that sound best to you.

And this can be also cause of difference. I`m using very tiny short tips which let me insert brass nozzles deep into ear-channel.

Another thing Twin... You should really try other types of music than those Vocal trance tracks. Imo that last song (1st in the video) is no good example of deep sub-bass - for my ears, there almost are none, just low-bass. Try those three songs I posted earlier, there`s some deep sub-bass. Additionally try some jazz with natural instruments like contrabass or low saxophone - EDSE lacks in that department. IMO :wink: 

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #4,839 of 63,835
Haven't been to head fi for a while but anyways I'd like your guys opinion on what iem I should get if I listen to EDM and R&B the kz anv or ed9? I own the ttpod t1-e's but I just want a iem that I can be sorta "rough" with. So far the ed9 looks really interesting thanks to the interchangeable filters.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #4,840 of 63,835
  Must be one of those (or those women pics) 
biggrin.gif

Another thing Twin... You should really try other types of music than those Vocal trance tracks. Imo that last song (1st in the video) is no good example of deep sub-bass - for my ears, there almost are none, just low-bass. Try those three songs I posted earlier, there`s some deep sub-bass. Additionally try some jazz with natural instruments like contrabass or low saxophone - EDSE lacks in that department. IMO :wink: 

smily_headphones1.gif
Coil I was afraid of that. I used Freemake Youtube to MPS Boom to Load it onto my Fiio X1, and It has Insane Bass and Sub bass doing it that way. It doesn't come across the same way with a normal Youtube Posting on a Computer. Other Music You say? What kind you want? I got pretty Much Everything from Tom Scott, Weather Report, to Keb Mo' or Lou Reed (BTW Ecstacy is a Superb Song)

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,841 of 63,835
Twin, I just added some notes to my last post when You posted ;D
Though, I have faom modded brass tips, maybe there`s the difference.
Use The Tips that sound best to you.

And this can be also cause of difference. I`m using very tiny short tips which let me insert brass nozzles deep into ear-channel.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #4,842 of 63,835
smily_headphones1.gif
Coil,  Check This out:

One of "Uncle Lou's" best. RIP

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #4,843 of 63,835
Btw, I just received my 2 other ED9`s (which were sold for 6.9$ piece). I`m using source selector switch and using different amount of same type foam in brass nozzles with same tips being used.
I can confirm that amount of foam causes difference in bass quantity. I`m using Piston2 foams (about 3x size of ED9 gold nozzle foams) inside 1st unit and for 2nd I`m using ED9 gold nozzle foams inside brass nozzles (inserted before nozzle port holes just where the winding is). Difference in bass is clearly noticeable: more foam = more bass. 
I`m using foam only to remove littlebit sharp highs not to increase bass and 2nd unit sounds better, 1st has littlebit too much bass for me but then again with EDM it sounds great.

Edit:

Ok guys, 3 options - KZ has unstable quality in SQ/QC or we have newer/older batch difference... or maybe they have "burn-in" difference, idk. 
Using exactly same tips, brass nozzles, all without foam mod... my very 1st ED9 has littlebit more bass than those 2 new. Difference is little though.
I took a closer look on them all and noticed difference in driver protector "plate" color under driver grill that is attached inside ED9 body in front of driver (6 holes with 1 littebit larger hole in middle) .
My older pair Is kinda "black" metal while those 2 newer ones have it shiny. 
Will leave those ED9`s burning in and report back after some time.

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,844 of 63,835
cool.gif
I noticed last night that the EDSE become more focused with a little more Treble definition Just by Covering the Backs with your fingertips.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #4,845 of 63,835
  Btw, I just received my 2 other ED9`s (which were sold for 6.9$ piece). I`m using source selector switch and using different amount of same type foam in brass nozzles with same tips being used.
I can confirm that amount of foam causes difference in bass quantity. I`m using Piston2 foams (about 3x size of ED9 gold nozzle foams) inside 1st unit and for 2nd I`m using ED9 gold nozzle foams (inserted before nozzle port holes just where the winding is). Difference in bass is clearly noticeable: more foam = more bass. 
I`m using foam only to remove littlebit sharp highs not to increase bass and 2nd unit sounds better, 1st has littlebit too much bass for me but then again with EDM it sounds great.

Edit:

Ok guys, 3 options - KZ has unstable quality in SQ/QC or we have newer/older batch difference... or maybe they have "burn-in" difference, idk. 
Using exactly same tips, brass nozzles, all without foam mod... my very 1st ED9 has littlebit more bass than those 2 new. Difference is little though.
I took a closer look on them all and noticed difference in driver protector "plate" color under driver grill that is attached inside ED9 body in front of driver (6 holes with 1 littebit larger hole in middle) .
My older pair Is kinda "black" metal while those 2 newer ones have it shiny. 
Will leave those ED9`s burning in and report back after some time.

That's obvious dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back