Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 9, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #46,456 of 63,834
After a three-hour session today with the ZS10 Pro, I think you are right. Both the ZS10 Pro and ZS7 have a "fun" tuning but the ZS7 has a magic about it. Maybe it's the vented earpieces giving a more attractive soundstage, the softer but still detailed treble or the 31005 BA's midrange character, this is also used in the ****. Whatever, I, like you, find myself reaching for the ZS7 more often than other IEMs. That sub-bass!!
That fast, dry bad-@ss (sub-)bass and the speed/coherence of the 7 vs. the 10Pro, pretty obvious with fast bass and other transients like in this little tune below (and pretty much the rest of that album) - huge differences in spatial reproduction as well. Just a couple months with the 7 and they basically spoiled me for anything slower, less deep and less coherent - YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #46,458 of 63,834
seems like the qdc 2pin is here to stay

Well, that's unfortunate. KZ needs to fix the problem with the crumbling sockets before they start pumping out more models with a potentially faulty plug design.

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #46,459 of 63,834
finally pics of the Terminator, now named ZSX

seems like the qdc 2pin is here to stay

67672368_726761344421641_3917454965060141056_o.jpg

I can't wait to see more details about it. KZ is always improving their DD in the new releases and I hope it'll the case here too. A ZS10 Pro with another BA would be meh for my taste.

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #46,461 of 63,834
Well, that's unfortunate. KZ needs to fix the problem with the crumbling sockets before they start pumping out more models with a potentially faulty plug design.
+1
... or move back to the good ol' slightly recessed standard connectors they've used before on the ZS6, 7, ... and offer cables with angled jacks instead of messing around with the female connectors/sockets on the earpiece side. This way anyone can still use pretty much any (cheap) standard cable with decent 2-pin 0.75mm (metal) connectors without having to deal with this protruding piece of plastic junk.

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #46,462 of 63,834
... or move back to the good ol' slightly recessed standard connectors they've used before on the ZS6, 7, ... and offer cables with angled jacks instead of messing around with the female connectors/sockets on the earpiece side. This way anyone can still use pretty much any (cheap) standard cable with decent 2-pin 0.75mm (metal) connectors without having to deal with this protruding piece of plastic junk.

Totally agree. The old connector was bullet proof and had zero problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #46,463 of 63,834
Damn, and here I thought I was through buying KZ's:scream: Love this shell (Faceplates) so much more than my Chrome ZS10 Pro's:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Right now though this is absolutely my fave KZ and (Tripowin) cable:wink: Gonna order it in balanced now to replace the old KZ SP cable:grin: This setup is a solid $61 budget rig (my cost as I think its a little closer to $89 now but still worthy) and what I'm suggesting to friends who just want a nice music setup:beerchug:

Before I spend more money. The reviews that I've read (on the ZS7) share the impression that there is a sparkle/brightness on the top end that can be fatiguing; is this contrary to your experience ?

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #46,464 of 63,834
Not top start a flame war with my fellow KZ'ers but all (since the beginning) KZ's have a tendency to be a little bright on the top end and there are tweaks/mods as well as EQ but IMHO any KZ can light you up especially when over driven. I mean without some kind of intervention. Mind you the newer models are improving and my BA10's rarely sizzle even at volume:wink:

Now for everyone to dispel the myth:rolling_eyes:

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #46,465 of 63,834
Not top start a flame war with my fellow KZ'ers but all (since the beginning) KZ's have a tendency to be a little bright on the top end and there are tweaks/mods as well as EQ but IMHO any KZ can light you up especially when over driven. I mean without some kind of intervention. Mind you the newer models are improving and my BA10's rarely sizzle even at volume:wink:

Now for everyone to dispel the myth:rolling_eyes:

AS10 are quite warm ("dark" in some ways/perception/language) but not loosing resolution, definitely a touch "darker" than BA10.
Then good "old ZS10" are a reference point how "dark" KZ could go.

I do enjoy my CCA C16 and A10 (as well as AS10) now and finally ordered KZ AS12 to embrace all new highs :)

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #46,466 of 63,834
Might there be an issue with your source? As I cannot corroborate those observations at all! So far I have been experiencing a rock steady connection with zero drops. And in terms of SQ those are possibly one of my best sounding TWE I own, lots of detail and clarity ...
Not claiming I can 'hear' or 'sense' bitrates, but I am overall very impressed with the T1 ... and I have heard others saying the same thing.

What's the color of the logo on yours? Silver or gold? I am starting to wonder if there are some early versions in silver out there (you see them in youtube reviews) and I wonder if that might have anything to do with divisive opinions.

(I am also not getting the volume step problem that others are complaining about ... yes, when triple clicking on the bud it seems the steps are too big, but when regulating on iPhone, no problem)

Mine is the gold version. My source has been Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, Google Pixel XL, and my Dell XPS 13. All work flawlessly with ATH-M50xBT, TRN headsets, the KZ aptX and aptX HD cables.

They could definitely sound good if there wasnt so much compression on the highs. Their transmit distance, like other KZ BT products is poor. Maybe I just have too high expectations for TWS.

Aug 9, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #46,467 of 63,834
AS10 are quite warm ("dark" in some ways/perception/language) but not loosing resolution, definitely a touch "darker" than BA10.
Then good "old ZS10" are a reference point how "dark" KZ could go.

I do enjoy my CCA C16 and A10 (as well as AS10) now and finally ordered KZ AS12 to embrace all new highs :)

Yet there are still lots of complaints about it being too bright. Go figure...

Aug 9, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #46,469 of 63,834
Yet there are still lots of complaints about it being too bright. Go figure...
I always just chalked that up to poor fit due to its monsterous size. Poor fit=loss of low end=3k peak blasting you with full force. I think the 3k peak confuses people as the treble rolls off hard after it. It really is the definition of "dark treble" to me which is where the mid treble and high treble ranges fall below the bass frequencies.

Aug 9, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #46,470 of 63,834
Totally agree. The old connector was bullet proof and had zero problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
To everyone who says that the recessed ones were fine, they were not for me. The headphones start falling out and drop. This new method is much more secure. The new one has much more friction, and its much more sturdy. I have had ED12 now that I replaced the cable a few times, the connector port broke the case so they aren't even designed to be replaced more than maybe once or twice. I had 3 ZS3 that kept falling off too. This was a terrible flaw, didn't happen with my ZS5 though so maybe it was some bad ones. The stock cables they come with are of poor quality too, so in effect you have to offload the cost of the cables to the IEM. The old ones got sticky, the new ones are very noisy and tangle easily. You can get different ones that have decent stock cables at that point with better sound. The ATR is still their best to me because it sounds better than stock headphones, but KZ always swaps the drivers so I don't know what my ATR was like compared to the new one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back