Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #46,441 of 63,802
Here you go friend. Genuine KZ gold plated/silver plated mixed 8-wire braided upgrade cable. Good quality, good sound, and fits perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSZL1JD
I found a funny review searching for other cables after clicking on your link:

"This cable is definitely an upgrade. If you’re looking for greater sound quality, forget it. Your not gonna get it. That’s not what this is about. The look. The feel. The way it doesn’t kink up and hangs like a nice chain necklace. That’s is what you’re buying. This is why you buy this. You’re wearing those IEM’s in style."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SS9S4DQ?tag=3340693-headfi-20#customerReviews

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #46,442 of 63,802
I found a funny review searching for other cables after clicking on your link:

"This cable is definitely an upgrade. If you’re looking for greater sound quality, forget it. Your not gonna get it. That’s not what this is about. The look. The feel. The way it doesn’t kink up and hangs like a nice chain necklace. That’s is what you’re buying. This is why you buy this. You’re wearing those IEM’s in style."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SS9S4DQ?tag=3340693-headfi-20#customerReviews
I actually read this the other day and lol'd

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #46,443 of 63,802
I'm not sure what a "bang for your buck camp" is but you have a few "expensive" iems.

I guess it's not about price, but quality? Isn't that what everyone wants?
Yup...you're correct. For me though, "bang for the buck" is anything under $200 CDN that will get me 90% to the stuff that brands like Campfire, 64 Audio, JA, Shure, etc...are selling for multi-hundreds/thousands...US $$, no less. Most expensive set I bought out of all I own, was Moondrop KPE (one month old set, used) for $145 CDN, which included shipping. Weren't even broken in yet...less than 20 hours on them. TFZ No.3 was second expensive at $137 CDN from Aliexpress, brand new, including shipping. Third...my first set of ZS10 PRO (I bought another set in June to give away to a family member for Christmas, when Aliexpress had a sale) for $49 CDN. Second set was $38 CDN, including shipping. Most recently, bought the Nicehck NX7 for $86 CDN, shipped. On the way, is the RY4S Mmcx Plus earbud (and a SPC mmcx cable) for $28 CDN, shipped. Note that I quote everything in CDN $$'s (since you are also located in Canada...so, I think we can relate). All this gear, and I think I'm still over $600 less than one set of CA Andromeda...a thousand less than Solaris. More than $2000 less than Empire Ears Legend X. I can't justify those TOTL prices, and it's those kinds of prices that have driven me away from the hobby for years, since I first became a headfi member in 2005. There's alot of great gear that gets people 90% SQ to those TOTL brands, for less than 20% of the cost. And, I get to experiment with different sound sigs. Right now, my least favorite iem, is the TFZ No.3. I'm not giving up on it yet (found the tips I like, and will be cable swapping again soon). If I decide I absolutely can't live with it, I'll sell it at a slight loss. Still, I only paid $137. Not like I dropped $1000+ (or more) on a single iem. If I didn't like something that expensive, or it didn't fit my ears comfortably, I'd be super p***d off, after dropping that kind of money (assuming I could even ever afford to do so). So, I guess "expensive" depends on your definition of what that is. For some people (like me), $200+ for a single piece of gear, is expensive. For others, it might be $50. For others with bigger budgets, maybe $2000. Or more. Honestly, over the past 40 years I've been into audio, I've learned that price don't mean squat. There is alot of extremely overpriced garbage out there. But there's also alot of really awesome sounding stuff too, which doesn't break the bank. Thanks to headfi (and it's members) and YouTube reviewers like BGGAR (who turned me on to all this great Chifi stuff, over the past year), I can finally participate in this audio hobby again.

Aug 9, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #46,444 of 63,802
Hey everyone! Maybe you can help me clear up some confusion I'm experiencing in looking for an upgrade cable for my ZS10 Pro. I keep running into all sorts of conflicting information. Right now I'm opting for picking up a cable off Amazon because I'd like to get one in quickly, since the stock cable with the angled jack can't fit into my phone's port because of a clearance issue with the case I'm using.
Basically I need some tips on how to identify what cables will fit on the ZS10 Pro's. I know they're 0.75mm and a C type pin. But not all listings of cables mention type A B or C. Only some do.. And then I look through the listings on both Amazon and Aliexpress, claiming that some 0.78mm cables supposedly fit? Also I keep running into conflicting info. Like some people answer questions on Amazon claiming that they do fit the Pro's, but then other people or the seller comment saying they don't! Argh lol! It seems that the B type pin cable from my CCA C10's also fit snugly on the ZS10 Pro. So I've been looking at various cables with those types of connectors, but it seems that there are variances in the designs, making some compatible and some not. And a bunch of the ones I've found are unclear as to whether they fit or not.

I definitely want to make an informed purchase. Something good quality, durable, preferably under $30.

Basically, the ideal connector is angled recessed 0.75mm aka "paragraph C" connector. I've seen it named "QDC" too and reported to work, but I've not tested that QDC myself so cannot vouch 100%.

What I tested is that any other 0.75 or 0.78mm "straight" (not angled) connector will work. But it won't look the best because the female pin is already high above the shell so adding height on top of it looks meh and isn't the best fit on ears imo.

jBQbi4r.jpg

When you say the B style pin fits, does the recessed part plug into the protuding female housing, covering it partly? That's an info I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #46,447 of 63,802
I think that's fair comment. It's early days and they are still burning in. I am lucky in that for me the ZS7 fit is fine, yes, the sub bass, on reflection, is better in the ZS7 and there is that rise in the upper mids. I do like the treble on the ZS7, it is gentle but doesn't lack detail. I still love it for electronic music!
There's alot of great gear that gets people 90% SQ to those TOTL brands, for less than 20% of the cost.
Or even less. No other IEM has ever won me over like the ZS7, not even some higher end phones that cost me xy times as much. The 7 are neither the most natural sounding, balanced or analytical phones in my stash but they sure get my body moving to those vibes and get far more playtime than any of my other IEMs.

Next stop: something that beats the 7 in the groove department; maybe the 7 with all their BAs upgraded to their Knowles counterparts, something I mentioned some days ago, the ZS7X or K or whatever. I already had some Knowles 30095 flying around but now ordered the remaining BAs I need for the transplant. Once I'm at it I might as well remove the DDs in order to drill 1.6mm holes right next to the ~0.3mm vent ports and cut 2mm threads for a set of custom made screws which allow me to precisely adjust the effective diameter (airflow) of those ports - just think of tiny bass dials. Another little thing would be to move the circuit board away from the backside of the DD ... who on earth put them there of all places?
Dunno when I'll find the time for the job but I sure can't wait to compare the end result to the spare ZS7 I ordered last week.

Aug 9, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #46,448 of 63,802
On a diffent note, I can't really recommend the KZ T1 unless you can handle the occasional 1-3 second right side dropout, and really low bitrates. If I had to guess, its 64-128Kbps audio, nowhere near the full capability of SBC. So much compression that muddies low highs and highs. They're fine and do work relatively decent, but I wouldn't go in expecting any sort of high audio quaility from these. It's like streaming from a shoutcast server in 2006. I think these might actually sound really decent if the bitrate wasn't a mess.

Might there be an issue with your source? As I cannot corroborate those observations at all! So far I have been experiencing a rock steady connection with zero drops. And in terms of SQ those are possibly one of my best sounding TWE I own, lots of detail and clarity ...
Not claiming I can 'hear' or 'sense' bitrates, but I am overall very impressed with the T1 ... and I have heard others saying the same thing.

What's the color of the logo on yours? Silver or gold? I am starting to wonder if there are some early versions in silver out there (you see them in youtube reviews) and I wonder if that might have anything to do with divisive opinions.

(I am also not getting the volume step problem that others are complaining about ... yes, when triple clicking on the bud it seems the steps are too big, but when regulating on iPhone, no problem)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #46,452 of 63,802
Or even less. No other IEM has ever won me over like the ZS7, not even some higher end phones that cost me xy times as much. The 7 are neither the most natural sounding, balanced or analytical phones in my stash but they sure get my body moving to those vibes and get far more playtime than any of my other IEMs.

Next stop: something that beats the 7 in the groove department; maybe the 7 with all their BAs upgraded to their Knowles counterparts, something I mentioned some days ago, the ZS7X or K or whatever. I already had some Knowles 30095 flying around but now ordered the remaining BAs I need for the transplant. Once I'm at it I might as well remove the DDs in order to drill 1.6mm holes right next to the ~0.3mm vent ports and cut 2mm threads for a set of custom made screws which allow me to precisely adjust the effective diameter (airflow) of those ports - just think of tiny bass dials. Another little thing would be to move the circuit board away from the backside of the DD ... who on earth put them there of all places?
Dunno when I'll find the time for the job but I sure can't wait to compare the end result to the spare ZS7 I ordered last week.
After a three-hour session today with the ZS10 Pro, I think you are right. Both the ZS10 Pro and ZS7 have a "fun" tuning but the ZS7 has a magic about it. Maybe it's the vented earpieces giving a more attractive soundstage, the softer but still detailed treble or the 31005 BA's midrange character, this is also used in the ****. Whatever, I, like you, find myself reaching for the ZS7 more often than other IEMs. That sub-bass!!

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #46,453 of 63,802
finally pics of the Terminator, now named ZSX

seems like the qdc 2pin is here to stay

67672368_726761344421641_3917454965060141056_o.jpg

Damn, and here I thought I was through buying KZ's:scream: Love this shell (Faceplates) so much more than my Chrome ZS10 Pro's:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Right now though this is absolutely my fave KZ and (Tripowin) cable:wink: Gonna order it in balanced now to replace the old KZ SP cable:grin: This setup is a solid $61 budget rig (my cost as I think its a little closer to $89 now but still worthy) and what I'm suggesting to friends who just want a nice music setup:beerchug:

Solid Budget.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #46,454 of 63,802
After a three-hour session today with the ZS10 Pro, I think you are right. Both the ZS10 Pro and ZS7 have a "fun" tuning but the ZS7 has a magic about it. Maybe it's the vented earpieces giving a more attractive soundstage, the softer but still detailed treble or the 31005 BA's midrange character, this is also used in the ****. Whatever, I, like you, find myself reaching for the ZS7 more often than other IEMs. That sub-bass!!

You're not alone, ZS7 is the only IEM I've tested so far that gives me the feeling of being in front of a big sound system and wanting to dance or being like "oh god that's gorgeous" listening to dath metal guitar textures lol. It's certainly not neutral but man, it's so much fun! And without being very tiring honestly. Much less than ZS10 pro / ZSN etc. for me. I need to buy a spare, too. It's "the different" one, in a positive way for me, the rest doesn't stand out so much.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #46,455 of 63,802
You're not alone, ZS7 is the only IEM I've tested so far that gives me the feeling of being in front of a big sound system and wanting to dance or being like "oh god that's gorgeous" listening to dath metal guitar textures lol. It's certainly not neutral but man, it's so much fun! And without being very tiring honestly. Much less than ZS10 pro / ZSN etc. for me. I need to buy a spare, too. It's "the different" one, in a positive way for me, the rest doesn't stand out so much.
You guys have me interested in these. Question, I have a .78 BT20, will these connect to that or is it too large? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back