Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 23, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #44,341 of 63,836
In my experience, even if they have big soundstages, zs7, zs6 and so on are not good for gaming (at least in my case, but if someone has good times with them then it's just me). I don't know why but i cannot actually play r6s with them and be good locating enemies in the buildings.
The ones i used most (to play games, moreover fps ones) are:
- HIFIHEAR F30 (very good in r6s, just average for pubg)
- CCA C10 (decent in r6s, awesome for pubg)
- many people uses the old ZS10, but i do not have it so i cannot provide a feedback

ZSN PRO and ZS10 PRO aren't good for gaming in my experience, dunno why but pinpointing is very difficult, especially on the ZSN PRO.

ZS10 pro is better from ZS7 and ZSN pro in positioning, but all KZ has the same problem when projecting the sound to the front. Side and back is fine.
The best soundstage and positioning that I've ever experienced with IEM is the Zero Audio Duoza.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #44,342 of 63,836
i am using this track for testing positioning of IEM and headphone.

May 23, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #44,343 of 63,836
ZS10 pro is better from ZS7 and ZSN pro in positioning, but all KZ has the same problem when projecting the sound to the front. Side and back is fine.
The best soundstage and positioning that I've ever experienced with IEM is the Zero Audio Duoza.

The real problem i have (in rainbow six siege at least) is locating enemy at different heights.
If i'm at the second floor and there's an enemy on the third floor just above me, i can easily be confused as the sound is not clearly saying it's up. It sounds like the height is different but cannot know if up or down. I don't know if i explained it well.

May 23, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #44,344 of 63,836
Actually I find that the zsn pro is more airy and sound more spacious than zs10 pro, but zs10 pro wins in every other categories (bass, separation, smoothness and treble). They sound pretty similar tho.

ZSN pro sounds more airy because of that 16khz boost (boosted more than ZS10 pro), just like tanchjim oxygen

May 23, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #44,345 of 63,836
[Puts stupid face on] What does that mean?
Just the way the two connectors (GND/+) are positioned on the shell. On KZ IEMs the GND contact sits closer to the center of the shell, on IEMs from some other companies like BQYEZ, R...n..., it's exactly the opposite. Some folks care about it ('absolute phase'), others don't give a damn as long as the two sides (L-R) are connected equally - in phase.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #44,346 of 63,836
I recently received the zsn and zsn pro, they sound nearly identical. Just popped open the zsn's to peek inside.
IMG_20190521_221003.jpg
plan on comparing them to the pros driver
IMG_20190521_220931.jpg

May 23, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #44,347 of 63,836
I've been using the silver KZ upgrade cable for a year or so with ZS6, then I've noticed the silver cable actually sounds odd compared to the stock cable and also same tracks I played in other headphones. I think the mids are horribly off. Now with ZS7 I have the same feeling and I get much better results with the stock cable. What's your music authenticity feeling with the silver cable?

May 23, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #44,348 of 63,836
I've been using the silver KZ upgrade cable for a year or so with ZS6, then I've noticed the silver cable actually sounds odd compared to the stock cable and also same tracks I played in other headphones. I think the mids are horribly off. Now with ZS7 I have the same feeling and I get much better results with the stock cable. What's your music authenticity feeling with the silver cable?
If you're talking about the flat, braided 8-core cable according to Hakuzen's measurements they have a relatively high resistance and depending on your IEM and source this can easily throw things out of balance.

May 23, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #44,349 of 63,836

If you're talking about the flat, braided 8-core cable according to Hakuzen's measurements they have a relatively high resistance and depending on your IEM and source this can easily throw things out of balance.
check you are not connecting the flat cable out of phase (+ and GND pins interchanged in one side).
like @archdawg has explained, the difference of resistance between stock and flat cable can justify tonal alteration in upper mids and highs, changing overall tone. however, sound with the flat cable should be closer to iem real sound. so you should check for anomalies in your fat cable: pins and jack (clean them), extreme oxidation (this cable is known to get a green/cyan patina due to oxidation; not a sound issue in theory, but wire could be degraded too much now).

May 23, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #44,350 of 63,836
The cable changed its color all right. Can't see anything else being the problem. I wonder whether the sound was off all along and I just adjusted to the sound. It was my daily set (silver cable and ZS6) for a long time, then one of the nosils fell of when switching the tips so I switched to BA10 and the new silver-copper upgrade cable. I once connected the silver cable to the BA10s and noticed the odd sound but blamed it on different way of how pins are curved (different pin types).

On other note. ZS7 in my opinion has good cable apart from the hooks which I dislike. Is there any point in getting other cable type? What are the more premium cables have you been using with ZS7? Any balanced cables in particular?

May 23, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #44,351 of 63,836
I do not find the ZSN Pro more spacious than the ZS10 Pro.
I think ZSN Pro is just influencing the sound perception because if its upper range boost (artificial spatial impressions so).
I prefer the more conservative treble in the ZS10 Pro which adds more of a "closed" but well rounded space.

May 23, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #44,352 of 63,836

Can you post a photo of which one you have, including the color of the plastic rings between the terminals of the 3.5mm plug? KZ has made about 6-8 different silver cables (not including the A/B/C ends). They’re all slightly different.

May 23, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #44,353 of 63,836

That cable is ~0.6ohms, which is quite average for KZs. There’s a bunch of KZ cables that are much higher, and a scant few that are much lower.

May 23, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #44,354 of 63,836
Can you post a photo of which one you have, including the color of the plastic rings between the terminals of the 3.5mm plug? KZ has made about 6-8 different silver cables (not including the A/B/C ends). They’re all slightly different.
upload_2019-5-23_13-26-50.png

That's from Ebay when I ordered the cable last year. Can take an exact photo when I'm back home.

May 23, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #44,355 of 63,836
Grrrrr. Was just tracking my AS16 delivery and found this very unfortunate message:

asduty16.jpg

So much for the nice discount I got (plus the extra speedy DHL delivery), let's see what the rules of the game are this year ... (like 3 years ago, there was a 30€ fee JUST for the inspection and THEN they added import tax)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back