Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 23, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #44,356 of 63,835
So much for the nice discount I got (plus the extra speedy DHL delivery), let's see what the rules of the game are this year ... (like 3 years ago, there was a 30€ fee JUST for the inspection and THEN they added import tax)

Too bad. I've been ordering from AliExpress for last year and a half and never got any kind of additional payments with the AE Standard Shipping or Chinease Post. Once I ordered via free DHL Express and *bam* there was additional 12 Euro I had to cover.

May 23, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #44,357 of 63,835
Grrrrr. Was just tracking my AS16 delivery and found this very unfortunate message:

So much for the nice discount I got (plus the extra speedy DHL delivery), let's see what the rules of the game are this year ... (like 3 years ago, there was a 30€ fee JUST for the inspection and THEN they added import tax)

Which country is that?
Also have new laws, we have to pay %58 tax for any overseas order:frowning2: unless its a book:)

May 23, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #44,358 of 63,835

That's from Ebay when I ordered the cable last year. Can take an exact photo when I'm back home.

No need. That’s the flat-braided 8-wire cable. I have a bunch of them.

It’s a decent cable IMO. Have you checked to make sure nothing is wired out of phase? Also, check the resistance of the cable if possible, to make sure 1 or more terminal isn’t drastically different than the others.

May 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #44,359 of 63,835
No need. That’s the flat-braided 8-wire cable. I have a bunch of them.

It’s a decent cable IMO. Have you checked to make sure nothing is wired out of phase? Also, check the resistance of the cable if possible, to make sure 1 or more terminal isn’t drastically different than the others.
Thank you. I will make the tests and post the findings later.

May 23, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #44,360 of 63,835
Which country is that?
Also have new laws, we have to pay %58 tax for any overseas order:frowning2: unless its a book:)

Holy moly that’s brutal.

I see a huge rise in books being hollowed out to make a storage cavity.

AA200532-2731-470F-8ECB-2B65890A4937.jpeg

May 23, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #44,363 of 63,835
That cable is ~0.6ohms, which is quite average for KZs. There’s a bunch of KZ cables that are much higher, and a scant few that are much lower.
I actually mentioned the 'relatively high resistance' of that cable in relation to something like an average from @hakuzen's list of upgrade cables which lies closer to ~0.2/0.25 Ohm or thereabouts (?) ... sorry for not making my point clear enough.
My main point though was that compared to that 'average' the braided KZ cable sports more than double the resistance and depending on the other impedances in the signal chain (source, IEM) and other factors (driver configuration and sensitivities, crossover circuits, ...) this will have a more or less pronounced effect on i.e. frequency responses and phase relations.

May 23, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #44,364 of 63,835
I actually mentioned the 'relatively high resistance' of that cable in relation to something like an average from @hakuzen's list of upgrade cables which lies closer to ~0.2/0.25 Ohm or thereabouts (?) ... sorry for not making my point clear enough.
My main point though was that compared to that 'average' the braided KZ cable sports more than double the resistance and depending on the other impedances in the signal chain (source, IEM) and other factors (driver configuration and sensitivities, crossover circuits, ...) this will have a more or less pronounced effect on i.e. frequency responses and phase relations.

While @hakuzen’s list is ‘budget’ cables, be aware that the average is not 0.2ohms.

That value is closer to the absolute extreme best in his list. And you have to buy ~$60-$90 cables to hit those kinds of low resistance values.

75% of the cables in his list are in the ~$35-$90 range. While it’s an excellent and valuable reference, the budget cables in the $7-$25 range are a much different story.

Expect 95% of ‘budget’ upgrade cables (>$25) to run 0.4-0.8ohms, including pretty much all of the cables in his ‘KZ’ list (KZ, TRN, etc). There’s a very small % of budget cables (>$25) that even hit close to 0.3ohms. Not a single one in that price range hits 0.25 or 0.2ohms last time I checked his list.

Since most stock KZ cables are 0.7-1.1 ohms, their ‘upgrade’ cables (0.4-0.6 ohms) are indeed actually an upgrade over their stock cables.

And as you pointed out, they will affect the sound. How the sound is affected depends on the impedance curve of the drivers (among some other factors to a lesser extent). You don’t always want a super lower impedance cable, as sometimes higher impedance can actually affect the sound in a more positive way (as evidenced by the ZS5 v1 and ZS6).

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #44,365 of 63,835
Which country is that?

Mine is Germany (for 6 weeks in summer :wink: ... and you are in Turkey? 58% is rough!

My experience has been so far that most of all AliX stuff slips under the 20€ 'we don't care' rule, but I guess when it is DHL they guess it is extra valuable ...
I think last summer I did not have any problems .. so, really no idea what to expect this time, we shall see ... maybe they x-ray it and confirm that it is 'just' a pair of 'cheap' earbuds :D and let it go through :D

May 23, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #44,367 of 63,835
I’m can’t wait to use my KZ ZST earphones! At 04:51AM (GMT) today they were received at “Atherstone Intl RDC”, so hopefully it won’t be long until I receive them!

Hope you enjoy them, until they released the ZS6 the ZST was my fave however my ZS6 has now been edged out by my BA10's! How's that song go again, "going around and around and around":rolling_eyes:LOL

So did you go Carbon's or Colorful's?

KZ Best Braided.JPG

Attachments

• Carbondale 2.JPG
    Carbondale 2.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 0
May 23, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #44,368 of 63,835
I do not find the ZSN Pro more spacious than the ZS10 Pro.
I think ZSN Pro is just influencing the sound perception because if its upper range boost (artificial spatial impressions so).
I prefer the more conservative treble in the ZS10 Pro which adds more of a "closed" but well rounded space.

Yes it is influencing the sound perception thus it is sounds more airy. It doesn't necessarily has more spatial sound than ZS10 pro, but comparing the two, you will notice it.

May 23, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #44,370 of 63,835
I hope so too! I purchased the colourful ZST Pro.

Nice, guess I missed the Pro version! Not even sure what that upgrade may have been from the originals:rolling_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back