Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 28, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #43,561 of 63,976
Checked. The other model is the ZS3E.

And here is the ZS10 Pro among some other similarly housed earphones; ZSN, C10, and ZST. Quite similar to the ZSN. That chrome finish sure does shine.

Can I ask what make / model is the IEM with Chinese characters on...it looks cool even for an old sod like me.

Apr 28, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #43,565 of 63,976
To those who's ZS10 Pros have arrived... Is there driver flex like the ZS7s?

Will driving flex decrease the life of a dynamic driver?

No flex on my ZS7.

There should be no flex, as it has a front vent. So if you’re getting flex, it would indicate an issue with the front vent (like its clogged or just that it’s being covered up by the skin of your ear).

You can try holding your mouth open while you insert the ZS7. Or you can try foam tips. Both of those will help with driver flex.

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #43,566 of 63,976
So I had Kanas Pros, ZS7 and just got ZS10 Pro. I had somewhat similar experience between ZS7 and ZS10 Pro as @KimChee mentioned in his post earlier. Here is my take:

ZS7
- Nice sub bass, I guess you need a dynamic driver for a sub bass like this.
- Treble is forward and there are times when it may sound harsh
- Mids and vocals are forward and clear
- Fit is fine as long as you get foam tips
- Recessed 2pin connector works fine and this is what KZ should be using for future models

ZS10 Pro
- Slightly more sub bass, mid bass is similar to ZS7
- Treble is "refined", it is not as forward as ZS7 but it sounds "cleaner"
- Mids and vocals are more forward and natural sounding than ZS7 mids, they sound similar to the mids on Kanas Pro
- Fit is fine as long as you get foam tips
- Protruding 2pin C type connector is an unnecessary bulge. They should just standardize on a 2pin recessed connector like some of the TOTL IEMs use. Now we must get a C type cable that works with these, which is pointless.

Overall sound signature of ZS10 Pro sounds more natural than ZS7 (ZS7 sounds like it is EQ'd by default for a V sound signature). Guitars sound more natural on ZS10 Pro.

I like ZS10 Pro better between the two because it sounds more refined and natural, treble is more controlled and there is very slight edge on sub bass over ZS7.

how about ZS10 pro vs Kanas pro?

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #43,567 of 63,976
No driver flex on ZS10 Pro or ZS7

Apr 28, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #43,568 of 63,976
Hold your mouth open and pull down on your ear when you put the item in there...that’s what I do with my customs

No flex on my ZS7.

There should be no flex, as it has a front vent. So if you’re getting flex, it would indicate an issue with the front vent (like its clogged or just that it’s being covered up by the skin of your ear).

You can try holding your mouth open while you insert the ZS7. Or you can try foam tips. Both of those will help with driver flex.

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #43,569 of 63,976
how about ZS10 pro vs Kanas pro?

Most people will likely disagree with me here, but I am just going to state what I experienced when compared ZS10 Pros to Kanas Pros. I prefer ZS10 Pro's sound signature over Kanas Pro.

I did A/B test between Kanas Pro and ZS10 pro and noticed the ZS10 pro had more "impactful sound". The hybrid design does help in creating a more lively sound in my opinion. They both sound like they are tuned to be neutral. Kanas Pro has a single DLC DD(corrected earlier typo as @tgx78 pointed out) and yet it sounds very good, but the impact I could get in ZS10 Pro, I could only get 80% of that impact in Kanas Pros.

Kanas Pro has very good sub and mid bass despite the sound signature being so neutral, but it just would not hit the sub bass lows that ZS10 did while at the same time, maintaining the sweetness in treble. Mid bass was better on Kanas, Sub bass was better on ZS10, Treble was slightly better on ZS10. Mids seemed equally forward on both. Clarity wise they are both equal and you would not feel like you are missing anything unless you A/B them. If a song has extreme Stereo effect, Kanas seemed to provide slightly better Stereo representation vs ZS10, and their(Kanas Pros) recessed 2pin connector is perfect. These are the only two advantages I noticed with Kanas Pros.

I know Kanas pro are very highly regarded by everyone, but I am just stating what I heard. Sound is perceptive and that may explain why I did not see them providing any advantage over ZS10 Pros. Also, Kanas Pros cost 3x more than ZS10 Pro so that is interesting.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #43,570 of 63,976
Most people will likely disagree with me here, but I am just going to state what I experienced when compared ZS10 Pros to Kanas Pros. I prefer ZS10 Pro's sound signature over Kanas Pro.

I did A/B test between Kanas Pro and ZS10 pro and noticed the ZS10 pro had more "impactful sound". The hybrid design does help in creating a more lively sound in my opinion. They both sound like they are tuned to be neutral. Kanas Pro has a single BA and yet it sounds very good, but the impact I could get in ZS10 Pro, I could only get 80% of that impact in Kanas Pros.

Kanas Pro has very good sub and mid bass despite the sound signature being so neutral, but it just would not hit the sub bass lows that ZS10 did while at the same time, maintaining the sweetness in treble. Mid bass was better on Kanas, Sub bass was better on ZS10, Treble was slightly better on ZS10. Mids seemed equally forward on both. Clarity wise they are both equal and you would not feel like you are missing anything unless you A/B them. If a song has extreme Stereo effect, Kanas seemed to provide slightly better Stereo representation vs ZS10 and their recessed 2pin connector was perfect. These are the only two advantages I noticed with Kanas Pros.

I know Kanas pro are very highly regarded by everyone, but I am just stating what I heard. Sound is perceptive and that may explain why I did not see them providing any advantage over ZS10 Pros. Also, Kanas Pros cost 3x more than ZS10 Pro so that is interesting.

Kanas Pro has a DLC Dynamic driver not single BA driver as you stated.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #43,572 of 63,976
I’ve done some extensive listening between the KZ ZS7 and KZ ZS10 Pro. Let me just say first I’m not a fan of the memory wire on the ZS10 Pro. It is way too loose and doesn’t hold the iem in place, fortunately I swapped the cable for another KZ cable I had in my collection. Most of my testing was done with my Hidizs AP80, Lotoo Paw Gold, and Burson Soloist.

KZ10 Pro Sound

The treble is detailed, with good extension and air. The timbre is darker and laid back. There is a slight grain but not that noticeable for the price range. Compared to the ZS7 it is less bright, less energetic, with a similar level of detail just a different presentation. As a side note I don’t find the treble in the 7 to be offensive since it’s a bit rolled off.

The mids are very similar to the ZS7, a bit more present and forward. The V shape overall isn’t as sharp as with the ZS7. There is no upper mid emphasis as with the 7, this area is clearer, vocals are cleaner.

The bass has a nice low end grunt to it, it has good texture, and control, the quantity to my ears is less than the 7, which sounds more punchy and dynamic in comparison. I find the 7 more “boomy” and I don’t mean that in a negative way. I will break in the 10Pro more but I suspect this won’t change much.

The soundstage is wide and spacious even more so than the 7, which I found wide to begin with. When the JH Roxanne and Angie came out people used words to describe them like “out of head experience, headphone like” regarding the soundstage, and I don’t think the 10Pro is quite there, but the soundstage is on the edge of being headphone like. The stage also has good depth, imaging, layering, and positional cues and instrument separation are also a step above the 7. I was impressed with the instrument positioning and separation is excellent.

In technical abilities it is for the most part better than the Zs7, but I prefer the more aggressive, punchy dynamic sound of the ZS7 personally, even though it has less clarity and separation. The ZS10 Pro is more laid back sounding, more detailed with better imaging, separation, and a great soundstage.

The ZS7/ZS10Pro reminds me of owning the Denon D7000 and the Fostex TH900. They both had a V shaped signature, the Fostex was clearer and cleaner but a bit too “reference” (I know these aren’t reference phones, but you follow my idea), while the D7000 was the more fun phone with less technical abilities.

The ZS7 reminds me of a custom I owned a long time ago that was one of the first hybrid customs the Thousand Sounds TS842. It had a deep dynamic driver with the Ety ER4P treble/mids on top.

Hope this helps anyone in the fence and honestly you can’t go wrong with either iem or you can own both like me lol, and it won’t cost you an arm and a leg. I love listening to new gear and testing out new toys, I’m waiting on the CCA20 next.

Great review! Thanks for that. From what I can gather from it...I'm now leaning more towards the ZS7. It's just kinda ticking more of my boxes.
I’ve done some extensive listening between the KZ ZS7 and KZ ZS10 Pro. Let me just say first I’m not a fan of the memory wire on the ZS10 Pro. It is way too loose and doesn’t hold the iem in place, fortunately I swapped the cable for another KZ cable I had in my collection. Most of my testing was done with my Hidizs AP80, Lotoo Paw Gold, and Burson Soloist.

KZ10 Pro Sound

The treble is detailed, with good extension and air. The timbre is darker and laid back. There is a slight grain but not that noticeable for the price range. Compared to the ZS7 it is less bright, less energetic, with a similar level of detail just a different presentation. As a side note I don’t find the treble in the 7 to be offensive since it’s a bit rolled off.

The mids are very similar to the ZS7, a bit more present and forward. The V shape overall isn’t as sharp as with the ZS7. There is no upper mid emphasis as with the 7, this area is clearer, vocals are cleaner.

The bass has a nice low end grunt to it, it has good texture, and control, the quantity to my ears is less than the 7, which sounds more punchy and dynamic in comparison. I find the 7 more “boomy” and I don’t mean that in a negative way. I will break in the 10Pro more but I suspect this won’t change much.

The soundstage is wide and spacious even more so than the 7, which I found wide to begin with. When the JH Roxanne and Angie came out people used words to describe them like “out of head experience, headphone like” regarding the soundstage, and I don’t think the 10Pro is quite there, but the soundstage is on the edge of being headphone like. The stage also has good depth, imaging, layering, and positional cues and instrument separation are also a step above the 7. I was impressed with the instrument positioning and separation is excellent.

In technical abilities it is for the most part better than the Zs7, but I prefer the more aggressive, punchy dynamic sound of the ZS7 personally, even though it has less clarity and separation. The ZS10 Pro is more laid back sounding, more detailed with better imaging, separation, and a great soundstage.

The ZS7/ZS10Pro reminds me of owning the Denon D7000 and the Fostex TH900. They both had a V shaped signature, the Fostex was clearer and cleaner but a bit too “reference” (I know these aren’t reference phones, but you follow my idea), while the D7000 was the more fun phone with less technical abilities.

The ZS7 reminds me of a custom I owned a long time ago that was one of the first hybrid customs the Thousand Sounds TS842. It had a deep dynamic driver with the Ety ER4P treble/mids on top.

Hope this helps anyone in the fence and honestly you can’t go wrong with either iem or you can own both like me lol, and it won’t cost you an arm and a leg. I love listening to new gear and testing out new toys, I’m waiting on the CCA20 next.

Damn...I'm still in a quandary. The biggest thing stopping me from buying ZS10 PRO is the connectors and cable upgrade options. As much as I like the sound impressions of the Pro, I absolutely HATE the fact that I can't easily upgrade the cable, cause of that weird C type connection method. You got me leaning towards the 7. I know that I could get a 0.78 balanced to fit, and a got one just ready to use. The 7 wouldn't need me to buy an upgraded cable, since I already have one. So now my question is...is the 7 smaller than the ZS10 Pro, and which has the longer stem/nozzle?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #43,573 of 63,976

I did A/B test between Kanas Pro and ZS10 pro and noticed the ZS10 pro had more "impactful sound". The hybrid design does help in creating a more lively sound in my opinion. They both sound like they are tuned to be neutral. Kanas Pro has a single DLC DD(corrected earlier typo as @tgx78 pointed out) and yet it sounds very good, but the impact I could get in ZS10 Pro, I could only get 80% of that impact in Kanas Pros.

Kanas Pro has very good sub and mid bass despite the sound signature being so neutral, but it just would not hit the sub bass lows that ZS10 did while at the same time, maintaining the sweetness in treble. Mid bass was better on Kanas, Sub bass was better on ZS10, Treble was slightly better on ZS10. Mids seemed equally forward on both. Clarity wise they are both equal and you would not feel like you are missing anything unless you A/B them. If a song has extreme Stereo effect, Kanas seemed to provide slightly better Stereo representation vs ZS10, and their(Kanas Pros) recessed 2pin connector is perfect. These are the only two advantages I noticed with Kanas Pros.

Thank you for 2 things. First, this is exactly what I've been looking for...a KPE owner who has both that and the KZ ZS10 PRO. I appreciate you posting your views. Second, (even though I don't share your opinion on the KPE...I'm one who holds this iem in highest regard), I applaud your courage to state that you like the ZS10 PRO more. That's exactly what I have been looking to read. I'm looking for an iem that's less expensive than the KPE, but still sounds good, with a slightly different sound sig for everyday use on the go. I still hate that KZ has all these weird 0.75 2 pin configurations, but your views have me now leaning towards the ZS10 PRO, instead of the ZS7. The 10 Pro is more expensive when I add in the balanced upgrade cable, but I'm thinking the sound might be more for what I'm looking for.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #43,574 of 63,976
Thank you for 2 things. First, this is exactly what I've been looking for...a KPE owner who has both that and the KZ ZS10 PRO. I appreciate you posting your views. Second, (even though I don't share your opinion on the KPE...I'm one who holds this iem in highest regard), I applaud your courage to state that you like the ZS10 PRO more. That's exactly what I have been looking to read. I'm looking for an iem that's less expensive than the KPE, but still sounds good, with a slightly different sound sig for everyday use on the go. I still hate that KZ has all these weird 0.75 2 pin configurations, but your views have me now leaning towards the ZS10 PRO, instead of the ZS7. The 10 Pro is more expensive when I add in the balanced upgrade cable, but I'm thinking the sound might be more for what I'm looking for.

Glad to hear. If you like Kanas Pros a lot, then ZS10 Pro have a sound signature closer to KP than ZS7.

Yes I am still not pleased about that non-standard 2-pin C type connector, but since I will likely use this mostly to listen lossy streaming Spotify music over Bluetooth(using ES100 LDAC or 2pin C type Bluetooth v5 cable from KZ next month), I guess cable upgrade will not bring a lot of benefits to me. In a couple months I want to try out FH7 by Fiio. Their 13mm DD sounds intriguing, even though its not pure Beryllium. And they use standard MMCx connectors so aftermarket cables will not be an issue. DM7 also looks intriguing(also use standard MMCx connectors) but they lack DD and I am not sure if BA will be able to produce the sub bass on same level as KP or ZS7

The sound is good enough on ZS10 Pros for gym and day to day use. ZS7 for some reason would give me fatigue after long listening hours. Kanas and ZS10 Pros I can listen for hours with very minimal fatigue.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #43,575 of 63,976
Glad to hear. If you like Kanas Pros a lot, then ZS10 Pro have a sound signature closer to KP than ZS7.

Yes I am still not pleased about that non-standard 2-pin C type connector, but since I will likely use this mostly to listen lossy streaming Spotify music over Bluetooth(using ES100 LDAC or 2pin C type Bluetooth v5 cable from KZ next month), I guess cable upgrade will not bring a lot of benefits to me. In a couple months I want to try out FH7 by Fiio. Their 13mm DD sounds intriguing, even though its not pure Beryllium. And they use standard MMCx connectors so aftermarket cables will not be an issue. DM7 also looks intriguing(also use standard MMCx connectors) but they lack DD and I am not sure if BA will be able to produce the sub bass on same level as KP or ZS7

The sound is good enough on ZS10 Pros for gym and day to day use. ZS7 for some reason would give me fatigue after long listening hours. Kanas and ZS10 Pros I can listen for hours with very minimal fatigue.
Sigh...you are making it harder on my wallet, but for me, the truth is I really want a less expensive version of the KPE. My "financial head" says just get a KS7 for less than $50 CDN from Aliexpress and that's it (I already have a 2.5 balanced cable that would fit). My heart (which says I probably won't be happy with anything that won't at least give me the sound quality of the Kanas Pro), says spend the extra $40 CDN and get the ZS10 PRO with balanced cable that fits. Guess I'm going with the more expensive option. My heart rules my head...I'm such a sucker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back