Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #39,181 of 63,834
@Slater,
I checked the housing, front and back, on all three of my ZSN's and the holes are in their proper places. :sweat_smile:
But, you're totally right about the holes on the Purple/Silver being slightly larger than the Cyan and Black. Love that you shared those small details...thanks for that! :thumbsup::spy:

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #39,182 of 63,834
I think you could probably use a standard cable as the ZSN's hood basically protects the pins. It might not be as stable as it wouldn't have the shield around the connection, but the pins are standard .78 pins.

It would bother me if it was not stable and it would also bother me if the connector was not the same color as the section on the body of the shell. I also want the balanced cable to look like the cable that comes with the purple ZSN. KZ, are you reading this? So basically the cable for the purple one but 2.5mm balanced. Thank you!

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #39,183 of 63,834
Are you trolling? If you're actually serious, can you please provide any evidence or studies to this claim?

We really don't need this pseudoscientific stuff in here.

@khighly

Trolling? ...We are all gathered here to share are own personal opinion and experiences with the products we purchase so that others may enhance their enjoyment in the same products as well. So, if you think I'm going to provide you the research and time just because you decided to believe what another website claimed, that's your business. I'm sure you're capable of making time in researching this information yourself just as you decided to research and believe what the other website claimed.

So, just some simple advice...don't get this forum locked! Please abide by the rules before you make strong comments and arguments. Everyone here is opinionated and some are well respected with plenty of useful experience.

Hope you understand head-fi administrations point of view. :point_left:

-Clear

I'm with @1clearhead. Your comments are either trolling or simply misinformed.

Scientific fact is: Silver is a better conductor than copper and copper is a better conductor than gold. You mention that oxidation or corrosion are required for gold to become a better choice but the average depth of oxidation of silver or copper due to environmental Oxygen is something like 10 Angstrom on average and 20 Angstrom when placed in a high pressure environment. That leaves plenty of metallic silver or copper in the average thickness of wire to carry the amount of current we are discussing without being impeded at all by the corrosion. The reason Copper was settled on for most electrical work years ago was because it was better than gold and cheaper than silver and the same reasoning is still valid today.

In order for gold to be a better conductor than copper more than 50% of a strand of copper the same diameter would need to be oxidized and since the surface area of the wire represents nowhere near that percentage of the overall, unless dealing with micro-electronics, the likelihood of that level of oxidation is somewhere between slim and none. Gold is used in micro-electronics for exactly this reason. When a single layer of the material is used then all of it is subject to oxidation and gold becomes worth the extra cost.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #39,184 of 63,834
It would bother me if it was not stable and it would also bother me if the connector was not the same color as the section on the body of the shell. I also want the balanced cable to look like the cable that comes with the purple ZSN. KZ, are you reading this? So basically the cable for the purple one but 2.5mm balanced. Thank you!

You could buy a 2nd cable and re-terminate it to 2.5mm balanced as long as it is a 4 wire cable it shouldn't be hard to do. I've done this a few times. You just need a continuity tester to make sure you know which wire mates to which pin at the earpiece end when soldering to the new jack.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #39,185 of 63,834
You could buy a 2nd cable and re-terminate it to 2.5mm balanced as long as it is a 4 wire cable it shouldn't be hard to do. I've done this a few times. You just need a continuity tester to make sure you know which wire mates to which pin at the earpiece end when soldering to the new jack.

I know... unless the two grounds are not separated... you try first:) Actually I have not seen the one that comes with the purple version sold separately. Only the white one.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #39,186 of 63,834
I know... unless the two grounds are not separated... you try first:) Actually I have not seen the one that comes with the purple version sold separately. Only the white one.

Challenge accepted. I'll see if I can re-terminate my ZSN to balanced and let you know.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #39,187 of 63,834
Challenge accepted. I'll see if I can re-terminate my ZSN to balanced and let you know.

Cool. Either way I want to buy another cable exactly like the one that came with my purple ZSN. It is pretty. I would put it on my Cyan either SE or re-terminated balanced.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #39,188 of 63,834
Cool. Either way I want to buy another cable exactly like the one that came with my purple ZSN. It is pretty. I would put it on my Cyan either SE or re-terminated balanced.
At $14 for another purple Zsn, You could just buy it for the cable. $14 for that cable isnt a bad deal Imo.

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #39,191 of 63,834
No, they're not listening. Message them on Aliexpress with your comment, Wechat info and mailing address for a surprise gift (but make sure you say you are doing so for that)

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #39,192 of 63,834
Also. My take on the holes, and I might be wrong: I'm wrong about a lot of things.
The hole is there for ensuring there is no driver flex, while sticking the iems in your earhole. Then as the IEM is nestled snuggly in your ear, that hole is pressed against your flesh creating a nice seal and making the bass more pronounced.

So unless you are someone whose ears don't create a nice seal, and block off the holes, there really shouldn't be any difference in sound between holes, bigger holes, and no holes.

Holes is kinda fun to say BTW.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #39,193 of 63,834
I use jvc spiral dots on my es4. Mostly for comfort. They are super soft. I describe es4 with them on, as big bass and warm with warm upper mids and a somewhat darkish treble. To me a warm L shape. However once the volume is pushed high, these things can break out and go V. Upper mids and treble wake up and there is a good energy there. It's just too high volume for me to enjoy for more then like 30 minutes. Really want to order some spinfits now and try those. What volume do you listen at?
I just installed the Spinfits yesterday so I have no answers. However, I may take them off the ES4 because they are very bright at any volume setting. I'm not a scientific whizz, but I guess that's the treble?

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #39,195 of 63,834
At $14 for another purple Zsn, You could just buy it for the cable. $14 for that cable isnt a bad deal Imo.
+ 1
That better be an eargasmic cable because that's close to $20 for a Canadian while most budget cable options are $10.
Even for 20$ that cable is great for impedance it measures! 0.3 Ohm copper cable that looks nice and is soft - bargain!
I`ve had several chi-fi "silver" plated copper cables that don`t measure so good and oxidize! So, that cable is best price vs. value I`ve experienced yet in chi-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back