Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 8, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #39,211 of 63,913
I haven’t compared them and use the stock ones I get from KZ as backups. It hasn’t turned Green like my other white cable on my BA10’s. Its flipping gross I first noticed the green moss look today....

7700375B-39DC-4417-A9C5-B0676D751DEE.jpeg
It looked like this a few weeks ago...then boom...a fungus amungus!

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #39,213 of 63,913
After spending some time with as10 and A/Bing between the zsn and as10, I actually like zsn's sound more than as10. For A/Bing, I am using the same brown cable that both came with and also same newbee red eartips. I play them both using my liquid carbon amp and Fiio E10 DAC.

The as10 is more detail and vocal is much more forward, but there is a spike in the treble area which make cymbal sounds more SSssss and it is very prominent which make it too much in some songs. The bass in as10 is almost the same volume wise, but it is tighter (here is some analogy of their bass, as10 has this bass that sounds like if you are miking a kick drum and you put the mic directly in front of the beater, so you get a very tight click sound of the beater, while zsn bass is like you are miking the hole in the back of the kick drum, you still get the clicky sound of the beater plus the wind sound from the enclosure).

The zsn on the other hand sounds more laid back, vocal is clear but less forward and the same can be said with instruments. The bass is actually a little bit more present in the zsn, but it doesn't make the sound muddy at all (I think it is because the bass is more prominent in the lower Hz area (20-50Hz) rather than mid bass which most IEM tends to boost).

Build quality is excellent for both, but I must say the zsn size and fit is a tad better than as10 (I can wear them for 4-5 hours straight with no pain in my ear lobe). While the fit is good for both, I feel more air pressure from as10 while none on the zsn (I think due to zsn has vents on the face plate and none on the as10). This also makes the as10 blocks more outside sound than zsn.

For music listening, I prefer the more laid back sound of the ZSN, but for live sound monitoring the AS10 is more preferable IMHO. They both has similar sound signature and I don't find any problem when changing between the two IEMs repeatedly. Both are a damn good IEM and if you can buy both, I would highly recommend them both.

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #39,214 of 63,913
After spending some time with as10 and A/Bing between the zsn and as10, I actually like zsn's sound more than as10. For A/Bing, I am using the same brown cable that both came with and also same newbee red eartips. I play them both using my liquid carbon amp and Fiio E10 DAC.

The as10 is more detail and vocal is much more forward, but there is a spike in the treble area which make cymbal sounds more SSssss and it is very prominent which make it too much in some songs. The bass in as10 is almost the same volume wise, but it is tighter (here is some analogy of their bass, as10 has this bass that sounds like if you are miking a kick drum and you put the mic directly in front of the beater, so you get a very tight click sound of the beater, while zsn bass is like you are miking the hole in the back of the kick drum, you still get the clicky sound of the beater plus the wind sound from the enclosure).

The zsn on the other hand sounds more laid back, vocal is clear but less forward and the same can be said with instruments. The bass is actually a little bit more present in the zsn, but it doesn't make the sound muddy at all (I think it is because the bass is more prominent in the lower Hz area (20-50Hz) rather than mid bass which most IEM tends to boost).

Build quality is excellent for both, but I must say the zsn size and fit is a tad better than as10 (I can wear them for 4-5 hours straight with no pain in my ear lobe). While the fit is good for both, I feel more air pressure from as10 while none on the zsn (I think due to zsn has vents on the face plate and none on the as10). This also makes the as10 blocks more outside sound than zsn.

For music listening, I prefer the more laid back sound of the ZSN, but for live sound monitoring the AS10 is more preferable IMHO. They both has similar sound signature and I don't find any problem when changing between the two IEMs repeatedly. Both are a damn good IEM and if you can buy both, I would highly recommend them both.

This is totally opposite for me, so I wonder if KZ is having problems keeping accurate sound signatures from IEM to IEM.

ZSN is sibilant almost like the ZST, piercing highs in some areas, lacking bass that doesn't even come close to the AS10. AS10 is so rolled off for me in the highs that there is no possibility of any sibilance or "ssss" sounds. ZSN sounds hollow in mid bass for me, which is pretty disappointing and something I love that is filled and present on the AS10's. ZSN sounds good, but not as you describe, so I wonder how different sound signature is per one.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #39,215 of 63,913
Are you trolling? If you're actually serious, can you please provide any evidence or studies to this claim?

We really don't need this pseudoscientific stuff in here.

Trolling? ...We are all gathered here to share are own personal opinion and experiences with the products we purchase so that others may enhance their enjoyment in the same products as well. So, if you think I'm going to provide you the research and time just because you decided to believe what another website claimed, that's your business. I'm sure you're capable of making time in researching this information yourself just as you decided to research and believe what the other website claimed.

So, just some simple advice...don't get this forum locked! Please abide by the rules before you make strong comments and arguments. Everyone here is opinionated and some are well respected with plenty of useful experience.

Hope you understand head-fi administrations point of view. :point_left:

-Clear

Asking for evidence to extraordinary claims that you made is not a bannable or locked thread offense, it's actually beneficial to the rest of us so we can learn your side of view and determine if what you're saying has any real basis in reality.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #39,216 of 63,913
Asking for evidence to extraordinary claims that you made is not a bannable or locked thread offense, it's actually beneficial to the rest of us so we can learn your side of view and determine if what you're saying has any real basis in reality.

...except that we are meant to keep such discussions in the sound science threads.

just one of many things stated in the rules and posting guidelines:

If what you want to post includes words/phrases like "placebo," "expectation bias," "ABX," "blind testing," etc., please post it in the Sound Science forum.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #39,217 of 63,913
This is totally opposite for me, so I wonder if KZ is having problems keeping accurate sound signatures from IEM to IEM.

ZSN is sibilant almost like the ZST, piercing highs in some areas, lacking bass that doesn't even come close to the AS10. AS10 is so rolled off for me in the highs that there is no possibility of any sibilance or "ssss" sounds. ZSN sounds hollow in mid bass for me, which is pretty disappointing and something I love that is filled and present on the AS10's. ZSN sounds good, but not as you describe, so I wonder how different sound signature is per one.

While still patiently waiting for my ZSN, I agree that AS10 can hardly be sibilant with its gently rolled-off treble. AS10 though is definitely less rolled off in treble compared to ZS10, which seems to be KZ's tribute to treble-averse people.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #39,218 of 63,913
While still patiently waiting for my ZSN, I agree that AS10 can hardly be sibilant with its gently rolled-off treble. AS10 though is definitely less rolled off in treble compared to ZS10, which seems to be KZ's tribute to treble-averse people.

This is where it gets weird. ZS10 will *sparkle* for me, without being sibilant. Mine is a much brighter IEM than the AS10 with far more treble extension.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #39,219 of 63,913
This is where it gets weird. ZS10 will *sparkle* for me, without being sibilant. Mine is a much brighter IEM than the AS10 with far more treble extension.

You have me wanting to listen to my ZS10 again. I remember loving it.. in fact I ordered mine after listening to the one belonging to my husband and loving what I heard. Can't remember nor describe details of sound signatures like you do . I tend to remember how I felt while listening to my music.. which is why I end up saying I love most of them:)

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #39,220 of 63,913
...except that we are meant to keep such discussions in the sound science threads.

just one of many things stated in the rules and posting guidelines:

If what you want to post includes words/phrases like "placebo," "expectation bias," "ABX," "blind testing," etc., please post it in the Sound Science forum.

Thanks. I am a firm believer in reality and factual evidence, so knowing Head-Fi hides such is detrimental to ethics and allows people to push pseudoscience that only brings us all down.

I don't think I'll be returning .

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #39,221 of 63,913

I feel it is pretty much a consensus on ZS10 that its treble is very prominently rolled off. To the point that people get perplexed - what are those 4 BAs really doing. (My only guess is that they contribute to a very impressive sound stage somehow).

My reference comparison is quite warm Fiio FH1 and quite treble-rich Fiio F9 pro, which can get a bit sibilant, but for the same reason is a great pleasure to listen good recordings of violin music with.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #39,222 of 63,913
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kz-as10-iem/talk#discussions

There's a Massdrop for the KZ AS10 for $50US. I've read a few comments of people being dinged for huge import charges so it may not be worth joining.

However, it may be interesting to read people's comments on it who may not be aware of Headfi or KZ.
$50usd is not that good, I bought mine for that price on AliExpress a month ago, but I would indeed like to read the comments there too, that will be interesting!
Also, I didn't have to pay for shipping or import fees and even with Canada post strike, I'm sure it took less time to arrive than on massdrop. I bought a few things on there, but as a Canadian, I can't recommend it :/

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #39,223 of 63,913
Thanks. I am a firm believer in reality and factual evidence, so knowing Head-Fi hides such is detrimental to ethics and allows people to push pseudoscience that only brings us all down.

That is not my intent. The point is simply that because these things get heated for whatever reason, there is a proper place to discuss it.. a place to go for those who want to know more if they are interested.. or to debate it if they want to. No one is promoting the pushing of pseudoscience.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #39,224 of 63,913
Your age can be a huge factor in how you hear upper mids and treble. This will of course skew the overall presentation of an IEM a week bit.

Also tips play a little role. Wide bore, tight bore, medium, foam, and tip depth all make slight alterations.

Then sources. I have warm sources, and cold sources. Both change the sound dramatically.

Then you have biological differences that will tweak sound in someway making everybody's perception of what they are hearing unique.

Then you have the power of the brain, and bias, that actually will completely make ish up and believe it because reasons.

Talking about this stuff is fun, and comparative discussion is helpful to most people, but at the end of the day it's all subjective.

The spoon isn't real.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #39,225 of 63,913

They don't hide it. They give you a dedicated forum area to comfortably discuss it. When brought up outside of this "safe zone", threads tend to derail and devolve into arguments that go nowhere. People are passionate on both sides, and it's great that those people have a dedicated area where they can speak their mind with others that want to discuss that particular topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back