Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #38,896 of 63,836
Did I read something lately about topping amps and DIY cables and KZ earphones?

IMG_20181203_192931.jpg

Man, this sounds sweet!

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #38,897 of 63,836
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #38,898 of 63,836
I see. That connector is reminds me of the UE one.

From this shop: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/804746?spm=2114.12010108.0.0.9cd55d3843GaVj

Looks like they can do custom cables if needed.

HTB1zc0aOXXXXXbqapXXq6xXFXXXn.jpg

I think I will have to wait for KZ to do one if they ever do. I am not going to pay to have a custom cable made for a $14 iem. I don't really NEED a balanced cable for it. I would try it if I could get one for less than the iem cost :) It is possible that the ZSN would not even benefit from the balanced output.

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #38,899 of 63,836
I think I will have to wait for KZ to do one if they ever do. I am not going to pay to have a custom cable made for a $14 iem. I don't really NEED a balanced cable for it. I would try it if I could get one for less than the iem cost :) It is possible that the ZSN would not even benefit from the balanced output.

Completely understandable. It may already be in the works, since they already do a regular upgrade cable and a bluetooth adapter.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #38,901 of 63,836
Took the Trn BT20 to work today. Paired it with KZ ZS10. Start work at 8am, but use the radio till 9am. At 9am, when I get to my first stop. I popped the KZs into my ears and went to streaming the show via App. At 10am, when the radio program was over I started playing my music. Played various mp3 320 and flac files until 4:30pm, when I pulled up in my driveway. 7.5 hours and still going. That's a good sign. Also did not drop once the entire day. Out of the standby time actual play time was about 7 hours. I am really friggen happy so far with BT20.

Zs10 paired up very nicely with BT20. Sufficient power. Was at 70% volume all day, and that was plenty loud. I think this is a good pairing, but admittedly I have to eq zs10. I am thinking I will pair ES4 with them tomorrow.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #38,902 of 63,836
I just got the Type A - KZ Copper/Silver mix cable in the mail from JimHCK. That's the one that some say was out of phase, I believe.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to hear if it's out of phase. I know someone said it's supposed to sound 'out of your head' and not inside. But it's really hard to tell so I will assume mine are in phase?

I do know that the KZ 8 core silver cable sounds better (and is made 2-3x better) but it's brighter and this Type A Copper/Silver mix is warmer. This cable is almost like a side grade? Maybe it's out of phase?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #38,903 of 63,836
I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to hear if it's out of phase. I know someone said it's supposed to sound 'out of your head' and not inside. But it's really hard to tell so I will assume mine are in phase?

Once you know what in and out of phase sounds like you can pick it out. There are a few short and easy to find videos on youtube which will play in and out of phase and from both left and right channels so you can zero in on it. Use a known good pair of phones first then swap out to check.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #38,905 of 63,836
Once you know what in and out of phase sounds like you can pick it out. There are a few short and easy to find videos on youtube which will play in and out of phase and from both left and right channels so you can zero in on it. Use a known good pair of phones first then swap out to check.
I think you're right my Type A KZ cable from JimHCK is out of phase. Thanks for suggesting I check out those videos.

I personally don't think most people can tell it's of phase. The sound sounds like it's pushed up and to the sides instead of to the centre.

No wonder I think this cable is a side grade/down grade. It doesn't sound good at all.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #38,906 of 63,836
I think you're right my Type A KZ cable from JimHCK is out of phase. Thanks for suggesting I check out those videos.

I personally don't think most people can tell it's of phase. The sound sounds like it's pushed up and to the sides instead of to the centre.

No wonder I think this cable is a side grade/down grade. It doesn't sound good at all.
This has been linked already and seems to be a good enough test:

I thought my Silver/Coper cable was out of phase but actually it was only molded backwards. So they work but won't fit all the way.

EDIT: And of course I reply to a message that I didn't read since you already figured out that it's out of phase... Classic me :p

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #38,907 of 63,836
A reviewer on Gearbest said the Tyrian Purple ZSN has, "sound quality comparable to about 200 or 300 dollars." I haven't heard it yet but I think the purple color has made them go cuckoo! Cuckoo!

Does it feel nicer to get something that feels $200-$300 for less than $20 than vice versa?

I surely ordered my ZSN, must be worth it for this feeling alone :wink:

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #38,908 of 63,836
sybillance, please ask your husband to come back--this is a very welcoming group

Yes, I agree this thread is for the most part hospitable and courteous although occasionally I come across people who are snarky, dismissive or downright boorish.

As for my husband he has no plans of ever coming back. Suffice it to say he has a postgraduate degree in a field of study that makes him eminently qualified to discuss most of the topics over there at ASR.

And @loomisjohnson I now know why you seem so familiar. After my response to crabdog's post, this morning I decided to re-organize the drawer where I keep my IEMS and near the bottom pushed to a corner was the QKZ DM300, in its Batman case.

IMG_5782.JPG

I had totally forgotten it, my second in-ear buy (1st the KZ ATE) after I read it about it in the site aproear. You were part of aproear and your positive confirmation made me want it. :grin:

Sadly aproear seems unavailable now. It presented all the earphones reviewed in a nice, tabular, logical manner. Everything is ordinally accessible at a touch according to feature/characteristic.

Listening to Basia thru it on my iPhone now. Mmmmy! I remember it described as the "ZSR on steroids". Funny thing, memory.

PS
That reminds me to edit my earlier post.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #38,909 of 63,836
This has been linked already and seems to be a good enough test:

I thought my Silver/Coper cable was out of phase but actually it was only molded backwards. So they work but won't fit all the way.

EDIT: And of course I reply to a message that I didn't read since you already figured out that it's out of phase... Classic me :p

Sorry if I sound dumb... even though I'm pretty sure mine is out of phase because it sounds really bad (in a broken way) compared to other cables.

How do we tell it's out of phase from this video? I still don't understand the exact point that's supposed to happen.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #38,910 of 63,836
...Don't mind me, not important. :upside_down:

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • free-dhl-2-5mm-male-to-3-5mm-female-headphone.jpg
    free-dhl-2-5mm-male-to-3-5mm-female-headphone.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-5mm-TRRS-Balanced-to-3-5mm-Female-Balanced-Trrs-Headphone-Audio-Adapter-Cable-For-Astell.jpg
    2-5mm-TRRS-Balanced-to-3-5mm-Female-Balanced-Trrs-Headphone-Audio-Adapter-Cable-For-Astell.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back