Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #38,926 of 63,993
I just got my purple/silver ZSN.

I have to say, I am beside myself. The ZSN is the best KZ I have heard to date.
I do have a black/black one on the way, which I’ll compare to the purple/silver one.

Raving review Slater, your enthusiasm is infectious. I'm very curious as to how you think the purple and black compare,

Was wondering if you have received the black/black one yet and how you feel they compare to the purple/silver ones. Same goes for others, I'm curious on more input concerning the suggested cable difference as it still comes up now and then.

In spite of the ZSN hype-train slowing down, I'm eagerly awaiting the black/black ZSN and curious to their sound and how they compare to the BQ3. :) I do really prefer the look of the copper cable over the one supplied with the black / cyan version (and the silver replacement cable), but I really prefer the black / cyan housing over the purple silver.. choices!

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #38,927 of 63,993
I will be doing wooden backplates for my cyan ZSN soon and will take copper cable for myself (if it measures noticeably better than black one).

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #38,928 of 63,993
My FiiO M7 is a work in progress, having a helluva time getting music onto the new 256 gb mini sd card. Sometimes no problem other times only folders transfer no music in them. Then the ghosting starts....so I copy and paste content that’s missing from a folder only to have “duplicates “ should replace or skip...ahhhhh its blank how could something be there. I’m haunted ? So trying different mini sd card adapters after newest one started not being seen at all in my mac (which I’m sorta new using).......oh and the firmware has bugs, lotsa bugs, BUT my BA10s sound even better using the M7 as Bluetooth/amp with Spotify. They sound smooth, detailed, just flipping excellent.....you just have to deal with the pure girth of the iems!!

They flatout sounded better than my now sold U4SE’s.....which were just under $500. I may be old and gray but at $80ish they are my favs!
Does any of that make sense..lol..lol.. I’ll try not to rave anymore about these, its just they really kick!

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #38,929 of 63,993
Photo(s) please. :relaxed:
I haven`t tested noise isolation difference (there probably aren`t difference) and sound seemed to be same.
To me, those holes in metal faceplates don`t affect sound but I have to do more comparing to be sure.

9939185_l.jpg

Thing is... You just have to screw off ZSN plates, remove plates from ZST and push ZST plates inside ZSN shells, no glue even needed, fits tight and secure.

Now all we need is a purple cable...

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #38,930 of 63,993
Thing is... You just have to screw off ZSN plates, remove plates from ZST and push ZST plates inside ZSN shells, no glue even needed, fits tight and secure

Oh wow! I wonder if my husband would like to trade faceplates. Will the ZSN plate fit on the ZST? What about that lettering? Can it be easily polished off? The ZST is not destroyed is it?

A person commented on youtube that the ZSN tuning is a RevoNext QT2 ripoff? Any comments?

How could someone ever say a tuning is a ripoff? Maybe he just meant they sounded similar to him? I have not heard anyone else say they sounded similar. They don't to me. I had a QT2 but traded it away as I had trouble getting a comfortable fit.

:point_right: You can always try buying a 3.5mm to 2.5mm jack (audio adapter plug)...only if KZ decided not to even make a balanced cable for the ZSN.

-Clear :ok_hand:

Those adapters are for making a 3.5mm balanced cable fit into a 2.5mm balanced source. You cannot change single ended to balanced with such an adapter. The two grounds from each channel are already together at the 3.5mm plug end. The adapter cannot separate them. It might be possible to re-terminate the end of the cable with a 2.5mm balanced plug but only if the two ground wires have been left separate. You would find out after opening the end.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #38,931 of 63,993
In spite of the ZSN hype-train slowing down, I'm eagerly awaiting the black/black ZSN and curious to their sound and how they compare to the BQ3. :) I do really prefer the look of the copper cable over the one supplied with the black / cyan version (and the silver replacement cable), but I really prefer the black / cyan housing over the purple silver.. choices!
I dont think Hype is going down... People are just too busy listening to them.. rather than commenting here.. :stuck_out_tongue: (eagerly waiting for my Purple/ Silver ZSNs)

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #38,932 of 63,993
A reviewer on Gearbest said the Tyrian Purple ZSN has, "sound quality comparable to about 200 or 300 dollars." I haven't heard it yet but I think the purple color has made them go cuckoo! Cuckoo!
Well, It is a bold statement, but it is possible someone spent 200 on an IEM 3-4 years ago, and then bought a ZSN just now, and thinks its better. I have and have had some 200 dollar IEMs that don't impress me as much as ZSN does. This hobby has excelled at a hyper pace the last couple years especially ChiFi.

Could also be, and probably is, nothing more then diarrhea of the mouth.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #38,933 of 63,993
Those adapters are for making a 3.5mm balanced cable fit into a 2.5mm balanced source. You cannot change single ended to balanced with such an adapter. The two grounds from each channel are already together at the 3.5mm plug end. The adapter cannot separate them. It might be possible to re-terminate the end of the cable with a 2.5mm balanced plug but only if the two ground wires have been left separate. You would find out after opening the end.[/QUOTE]

True...after reviewing what I wrote, I was referring to a balanced line output (not earphone output), which was probably a 3.5 stereo output anyway. ...Ignore my comment.

Thanks for clearing my senses back into place!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #38,934 of 63,993
Oh wow! I wonder if my husband would like to trade faceplates. Will the ZSN plate fit on the ZST? What about that lettering? Can it be easily polished off? The ZST is not destroyed is it?
ZSN plates fit quite well into ZST shells but You need to grind/sand off little edge at connector location to "snap into place".
ZST text is best removed chemically. Will let You know what works best and how to do it as I plan to remove it also.
ZST is not destroyed if You know how to "break off" faceplates with proper tool and move.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #38,935 of 63,993
I dont think Hype is going down... People are just too busy listening to them.. rather than commenting here.. :stuck_out_tongue: (eagerly waiting for my Purple/ Silver ZSNs)

Hah don't get me wrong, I don't see that as a bad thing at all. Generally I don't appreciate products being overly hyped. I feel that during hypes people are often biased because of the hype and tend to reinforce each other's opinions too much, resulting in skewed expectations. Good thing this thread, and other threads (even other forums) have thousands of posts so with some effort you can read between the lines to assess if the hyped product is for you. Nevertheless, I still am very sensitive to hyped products (and Im sure I contribute to hypes as well) :beyersmile::beyersmile:

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #38,936 of 63,993
Hah don't get me wrong, I don't see that as a bad thing as all. Generally I don't appreciate products being overly hyped. I feel that during hypes people are often biased because of the hype and tend to reinforce each other's opinions too much, resulting in skewed expectations. Good thing this thread, and other threads (even other forums) have thousands of posts so with some effort you can read between the lines to assess if the hyped product is for you. Nevertheless, I still am very sensitive to hyped products (and Im sure I contribute to hypes as well) :beyersmile::beyersmile:
Yea.. i think some Criticism is necessary...
It'll help them make better product for us...
Btw dont go on Youtube .. those guys are comparing ZSN to Apple Earpods:laughing:

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #38,937 of 63,993
ZSN plates fit quite well into ZST shells but You need to grind/sand off little edge at connector location to "snap into place".
ZST text is best removed chemically. Will let You know what works best and how to do it as I plan to remove it also.
ZST is not destroyed if You know how to "break off" faceplates with proper tool and move.
BRUTAL..

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #38,938 of 63,993
I personally wouldn't refer to it as a hype, but a "reality check" when the majority that owns a ZSN speaks out on their own accord.
For a family man, It does save me from spending $200 to $300 US dollars, though! :wink:

I say they are pretty good just like many of you that vouched for them! ...So, the majority wins! :point_left::spy:

you-are-not-the-majority.jpg

-Clear

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #38,939 of 63,993
Khighly, you crack me up (the "pseudoscientific delusions" can be plentiful from time to time).

Fellow KZers, any feedback would be appreciated.

When I consider that KZ will likely move forward with releasing more multi-BA in-ears I figure it is time that I hunt for another DAP for my small collection. I am currently in search of an excellent DAP with excellent features.

Most important features:

- Low output impedance (preferably below 1Ω)

- Enough power for full size cans (though 90% use will be IEMs)

- Album Art capable (necessary - my Vivaldi and Bach collections are huge and I've retitled many albums for simplifying the catalogue shortcomings on my old skool Fiio X3(i). Identifying albums by their artwork keeps things simple)

- On-the-fly playlist capability

- Warm-leaning/Velvet-like detail (I prefer great synergy with bright-leaning IEMs)

I am mostly looking for good synergy with the KZ (bright-leaning) lineup.
I don't usually use EQ but the Cowon and Lotoo are tempting. (Oops, can't do Lotoo, no album art)

Currently considering these two warm-leaning DAPs:

Cowon PM2 ($400)

Fill X5iii ($360+/-)
Fiio X5iii headphone out specifications (3.5mm headphone out jack)
Output power 1≥480 mW(16Ω / THD+N<1%)
Output impedance<1Ω (32Ω loaded)
Output power 2≥250 mW(32Ω /THD+N<1%)
Channel separation>73 dB (1 kHz)
Output power 3≥28 mW(300Ω / THD+N<1%)
THD+N<0.003% (1 kHz)
Frequency response5 Hz~55 kHz(-3dB)
Peak output voltage>8 Vp-pSNR≥115 dB (A-weighted)
Max. output current 250mA (For reference)

Bluetooth, DSD and Wi-Fi are unimportant to me. I only do hardwired IEMs and the majority of my music collection is ripped from CD to FLAC, WAV, M4A or MP3(320kbps) format.

My current Fiio X3(i) works fine but I'm a sucker for a larger and brighter display of album art and more streamlined access to the music files.
That said, any other suggestions in the sub $400 range would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance!

Doc

Had been meaning to get back to you with my $.02 Doc but was side tracked and at my age it often happens when I simply turn around:rolling_eyes: :grin: My money would be with the FiiO as some of the most solid product from any maker, my X3ii is still one of my faves but everything they build is top notch IMO and they have a little bit of that Energizer Battery thing going on:thumbsup: With that said I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you decide on:beerchug: Not to forget where I am it seems the KZ Christmas offerings have started to arrive, my Brother-in-Law says he can't wait for Christmas because I always out do the pair I gave him the year before:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

KZSN X-Mas.JPG

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #38,940 of 63,993
Doc take M7 off your list if it was on it, mine is going back I think unless they fix this software......Podster I got my teeny tiny Red Benjie, small small, small!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back