Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 9, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #35,386 of 63,915
Yup, haha. He can also be commonly found with these twin Comets and trying to woo the AWK-009.

I really don't get how people can have issues with the ZS6 and be fine with the V80, but to each their own ears. :beerchug:

Yeah, I never had piercing problems with the ZS6.
BTW with the AWK-009 is what I consider to be a piercing treble torture experience. Never heard anything that high pitched in my life.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #35,387 of 63,915
Yeah, I never had piercing problems with the ZS6.
BTW with the AWK-009 is what I consider to be a piercing treble torture experience. Never heard anything that high pitched in my life.

I didn't find it too bad. Was very tip dependent. Pretty sure my treble acceptance has been skewed by the RHA CL1 Ceramic. Cool earphone, but in small bursts. Only for hardcore treble-heads.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #35,388 of 63,915
I didn't find it too bad. Was very tip dependent. Pretty sure my treble acceptance has been skewed by the RHA CL1 Ceramic. Cool earphone, but in small bursts. Only for hardcore treble-heads.

The AWK-009 was a real disappointment for me. It was one of my first iems and I never expected it to be so bright. I had never heard such piercing highs in my life.

...except for the time we were at Lidl shopping and there was a little kid there (maybe around 3 years old) who kept making the most high pitched whistle type sound. Not sure how he was doing it but my brain was ready to explode. He never stopped and his parents did nothing... never even said a word to him. I wish I had had ear plugs or a set of iems with me. I have never heard a human make such a sound. Maybe he was an alien...

We got out of there as fast as we could.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #35,389 of 63,915
The AWK-009 was a real disappointment for me. It was one of my first iems and I never expected it to be so bright. I had never heard such piercing highs in my life.

...except for the time we were at Lidl shopping and there was a little kid there (maybe around 3 years old) who kept making the most high pitched whistle type sound. Not sure how he was doing it but my brain was ready to explode. He never stopped and his parents did nothing... never even said a word to him. I wish I had had ear plugs or a set of iems with me. I have never heard a human make such a sound. Maybe he was an alien...

We got out of there as fast as we could.

LMAO! That's horrible. Hilarious, but horrible.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #35,390 of 63,915
LMAO! That's horrible. Hilarious, but horrible.

LOL. I know. He had a good sense of timing though... I remember it as being every 5 seconds.

haha.. I just thought of something... maybe his parents were wearing ear plugs.. .maybe they have to wear them every waking moment.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #35,391 of 63,915
I don't know how to say but.. the AS10 seems to priced imho.
KZ is maybe pushing the price a bit up (maybe justified if the quality is on point with that price) but i have to say if they push the prices too high they will just notice a bit less sales on those products.
I'm gonna speak clear.. why should i pick a kz that sometimes has qc issue when i can grab other things in 100$ price range?
hope they improve the quality control too.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #35,392 of 63,915
why should i pick a kz that sometimes has qc issue when i can grab other things in 100$ price range?

Everything can and does have the occasional QC issue, from a $0.01 piece of candy, to a $1M supercar. And that includes “other things in the $100 price range”. That’s reality.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #35,393 of 63,915
I don't know how to say but.. the AS10 seems to priced imho.
KZ is maybe pushing the price a bit up (maybe justified if the quality is on point with that price) but i have to say if they push the prices too high they will just notice a bit less sales on those products.
I'm gonna speak clear.. why should i pick a kz that sometimes has qc issue when i can grab other things in 100$ price range?
hope they improve the quality control too.

I've parroted this many times, but a friend's Lyra II fell apart (glue came apart?) and Dita Answer cable had a torn that had to be RMA-ed. Both of those are $500+ IEMs.

AS10 is 60 bux or so, with the usual trend of it peaking during release and then going lower a few weeks or so after. For a 5BA IEM of decent SQ, that's not terrible at all. Also had experience with a DIY 5BA IEM for 100 bux that had a BA rattle after a few months, though it was still usable.

If you do want something at $100 range, there's lots to choose from (Hisenior B5+, Ibasso IT01 comes to mind). Certainly not from KZ, since they don't have any at that bracket.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #35,394 of 63,915
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #35,395 of 63,915
I've parroted this many times, but a friend's Lyra II fell apart (glue came apart?) and Dita Answer cable had a torn that had to be RMA-ed. Both of those are $500+ IEMs.

AS10 is 60 bux or so, with the usual trend of it peaking during release and then going lower a few weeks or so after. For a 5BA IEM of decent SQ, that's not terrible at all. Also had experience with a DIY 5BA IEM for 100 bux that had a BA rattle after a few months, though it was still usable.

If you do want something at $100 range, there's lots to choose from (Hisenior B5+, Ibasso IT01 comes to mind). Certainly not from KZ, since they don't have any at that bracket.

Yea, those were the products I was referring to.

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #35,396 of 63,915

i sorta agree with nxnje--kzs are a no-brainer at the <$30 bracket, but trigger some hesitation and encounter serious competition at >$50, esp. since (with a few exceptions) kz's build and packaging are not on a par with some of their price peers. soundwise? i guess time will tell.

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #35,397 of 63,915
Greetings, Difference spec wise between as10 and ba10?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #35,398 of 63,915
All of the retails prices for recent KZ is quite pricey for them, but honestly, its so easy to find deals (such as discount codes from reviewers) and cheap resellers that paying those prices feels a bit weird

I remember the ZS10 being around $50 on release, but you can find it on ali for $35 now.

Though I do feel the AS10 being $60 initially won't go that low quite so soon, but if its good and you're being conscientious with money, why not wait (or better yet, just buy something else if you're in a rush).

this reviewer (japanese, so you might have to use google translate) recently did a sort-of "ZS6-inspired IEMs review marathon", most of them are below $50 with very good packaging and differing SQ to choose from:
http://bisonicr.ldblog.jp/

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #35,399 of 63,915
I think so.
And i even think i'm gonna buy a pair of zsa in the next days.. chi fi is getting me crazy

Wait til the bug really bites and you end up with an A&K Dap and a couple sets of CIEMS on your desk. Don't ask me how I know.

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #35,400 of 63,915
Greetings, Difference spec wise between as10 and ba10?

Not much, mostly a form factor difference from what information has been released. That being said, I can find no details on crossover components so it could be all the same drivers with completely different tunings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back