Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 26, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #35,011 of 63,966
I would think isolation and sound signature would be more important than number of drivers. I understand the thinking that more drivers bring more detail but they also bring more crossover distortion and a host of other potential problems. I'd hold off and see what reports come out about the quality of the new models before taking the plunge on any of them.

No way man - more always sounds better! Wait until they release a 30 driver IEM, which will sound 3xs better than a 10 driver one because 10x3=30! Woo hoo!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #35,012 of 63,966
I have both of them. And not only two models. To me ZS6 has the best bass. I'd be happy with it if I could kill the sibilants. Actually I can using the Rockbox but unfortunately I have only one player supporting Rockbox.
Change the cable to one of the silver ones and the sibilance disappears.

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #35,014 of 63,966
Hey, KZ connoisseurs, could you point out which KZ models are most proficient at pieces which have lots of instruments, fast tempo, lots of changing rhythms and dynamics, like metal?

Technically speaking, the ZS10 is probably one of the best, with two caveats:
- you'll probably need to eq it, about half of the owners do, including me; if you'll go this path make sure your player is competent at it;
- if you're going to use it for commuting the isolation is about average due to the three vents.

For me it turned out excellent after eq, it really feels high end and refined due to its awesome technical proficiency. There was a review recently which found the same thing.

Oh and yes, I do a lot of metal and rock.

Thats my recommendation, others feel free to chip in.

Good luck and rock hard.

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #35,015 of 63,966
Technically speaking, the ZS10 is probably one of the best, with two caveats:
- you'll probably need to eq it, about half of the owners do, including me; if you'll go this path make sure your player is competent at it;
- if you're going to use it for commuting the isolation is about average due to the three vents.

For me it turned out excellent after eq, it really feels high end and refined due to its awesome technical proficiency. There was a review recently which found the same thing.

Oh and yes, I do a lot of metal and rock.

Thats my recommendation, others feel free to chip in.

Good luck and rock hard.
Yeah, the new type of BA and the crossover looked pretty promising to me, too. The isolation problem, though, is a bummer. Maybe it's worth looking forward to the upcoming all BA models. Some time ago the preliminary release date floated was end-of-July. Or has that changed?

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #35,016 of 63,966
Jul 26, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #35,017 of 63,966
Which frequencies exactly do you equalize and by how much?

Probably varies by person - their age, ear anatomy, hearing range, frequency tolerance, specific ear tips used, source used, and preferred sound signature would all come into play.

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #35,019 of 63,966
Hey, KZ connoisseurs, could you point out which KZ models are most proficient at pieces which have lots of instruments, fast tempo, lots of changing rhythms and dynamics, like metal?

Before I moved from speakers to earphones/headphones, I listened to a lot of Symphonic Metal with female vocals. This genre did not seem to transition well to earphones/headphones. Recently I have found 2 inexpensive earphones that seem to do a good job with this genre. Because there is a lot going on in the bass in Symphonic Metal the bass needs to be powerful but it also needs to be quick and if not then the bass gets congested. The other thing with Symphonic Metal is that there are times when the female vocals need to get out in front of the bass so the mids can't be recessed. Not sure exactly what sub-genre of Metal you listen to but I find that the KZ ED16 and TRN V20 work well with Symphonic Metal. Since I purchased these two earphones I have been spending a lot more time listening to Nightwish, Within Temptation and a number of other Symphonic Metal Bands. Hope this helps.

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #35,020 of 63,966
Before I moved from speakers to earphones/headphones, I listened to a lot of Symphonic Metal with female vocals. This genre did not seem to transition well to earphones/headphones. Recently I have found 2 inexpensive earphones that seem to do a good job with this genre. Because there is a lot going on in the bass in Symphonic Metal the bass needs to be powerful but it also needs to be quick and if not then the bass gets congested. The other thing with Symphonic Metal is that there are times when the female vocals need to get out in front of the bass so the mids can't be recessed. Not sure exactly what sub-genre of Metal you listen to but I find that the KZ ED16 and TRN V20 work well with Symphonic Metal. Since I purchased these two earphones I have been spending a lot more time listening to Nightwish, Within Temptation and a number of other Symphonic Metal Bands. Hope this helps.

I listen to Epica from time to time. Sounds great on the Tin Audio T2, and also the VSonic GR07 Bass. Unfortunately I don’t own the ED16 or the V20.

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #35,021 of 63,966
+1 for the ED16. It has very fast controlled bass. Not too boomy in the upper bass. Good detailed mids and treble.

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #35,022 of 63,966
Which frequencies exactly do you equalize and by how much?

My eq settings are somewhere back in the thread.

What I did and would also recommend to others: if applicable start with Neutralizer android app and see if the result is good enough and works with your setup (was not having effect with dual dac phones for instance).

If you need more eq tweaking (Neutralizer won't step beyond certain values) or the app won't work with your player just copy the Neutralizer result curve to your eq app and adjust more.

Adjust the lesser freq you can, the least you can and it would be best to do mainly cut downs.
My adjustments pretty much went in line with ZS10 FR curve (see crinacle measurements database on this site): cuts on mid bass and upper mids, big boost on upper treble.

ZS10 is extremely eq friendly without distortion and one can profit from this.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #35,024 of 63,966
Any of the wide bore tips should be good. I think the foams are good for isolation but not the best for sound as most dampen the treble more than I would like on the ES4. Foams on the Zs6 are a good match as it has a pronounced treble spike the foam helps calm, on the ES4, it actually is a bit much.

I like the Tenmak whirlwinds or the Auvio wide bores. (RadioShack still has the Auvio on sale cheap too.)

This one! I've been trying between random eartips I have versus foams and I get more detail on stock starline tips, but all the more on wide bore ones. In return, the bass gets noticeably lighter, but still has the good 'ol punch. If you'd like to use foams, use the short ones. I have pretty long foams. I did cut up one set of foams by 3/4 where the nozzle is almost at the end of the foam tips, and I got similar results with silicones but with better seal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back