Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 14, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #30,631 of 63,917
Hmmm, does anyone see any similarities between the last 2 FR graphs below?

1st is a stock ZS6. The 2nd is a (secret) modded ZS6. The 3rd is a ZS10.

Based on how I modded the ZS6 and the resulting FR graphs, I personally believe there was something very wrong with the ZS10 that thephonegraph.net received.

Stock ZS6:
7F211D0F-8CD5-4C67-BFCB-57618EC9CA9F.png

Secret modded ZS6:
ZS6vsZS10.jpg

Stock ZS10:
KZ-ZS10-Frequency-Response-Curve.jpg

(ignore the fact that the phonograph.net FR graph goes to 24kHz)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #30,632 of 63,917
I did checked my current ZS6 with my TFZ King and my T7A as reference.

Here's the result:

10 Hz >> 200 Hz - image sounds perfectly centered
22 kHz >> 8 kHz - image sounds perfectly centered from 22 kHz to 11 kHz, image from 11 kHz > 9.5 kHz is shifted to left side then comes back to center from 9.5 kHz > 8 kHz

Is this a busted BA driver or simply driver unbalance?

Dynamic drivers are usually unbalanced in the upper treble region while BA's should be matched very closely. Re-reading your original post about this problem, I would suggest that you repeat this exercise with somebody else preferebly someone < 25 years old and confirm the findings.

Wearing IEM's for several hours per day is not advisable since it gets too hot inside your ear and it promotes bacterial growth and the resulting inflammation might cause hearing loss.

Why don't you visit an audiologist?

P.S. The earphones should be fitted the same way in both ears to have the same treble response since it is sensitive to positioning.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #30,633 of 63,917
I clean my ears regularly so I doubt there are any build up inside my right ear, but I will get someone to look at it with a scope tonight. Fingers crossed, I hope there's nothing wrong with my right ear.
Consider that sometimes excessive cleaning can help the creation of earwax masses if not done properly. I also suggest you to see your doctor that will tell you if there is some problem. Earwax is an easy problem to solve.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #30,635 of 63,917
KZ ZS5v1.

IMG_20180415_014310.jpg

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #30,636 of 63,917
I have a bit more time now. Soundstage on these isn't massive, it doesn't have that inside your head sound but I wouldn't say it extends more than an inch outside of your head. Imaging is great on these although it is more horizontal than vertical. Seperation is much better than my zs5, much less congested sounding and veiled. I have just tested using an eq, they respond very well to it as sub bass is very detailed once boosted, I found that a v shaped eq sounded best to me. I thought highs were good on these already but using an eq really let's the ba's shine as vocals are brought more forward.

I hope that was helpful as I haven't much experience in writing one of these.

Here's a pic of it in my ear:

Thanks again for taking the time.
Seems you are pretty happy with them playing EDM after eq changes.

To further improve the sound for EDM you should try different tips with wider bore as I have found this can help increase soundstage and overall immersiveness. The standards tips seem to have a narrow bore.

The nozzle has been described as short.
Do the iem tips reach deep and seal well ? Also do the iem’s stay comfortable and in place for a long periods of listening ?

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #30,637 of 63,917
How do the TFZ King compare to KZ?
If you are talking about comparing it to zs6 then I'd say the King wins in every aspect except that treble spike. King is pretty balanced and thanks to that graphene driver they sound fantastic with EDM and female vocal.
But I am a treble freak and I like the zs6 treble cannon, that's why the King's been sitting in the box collecting dust.

The built on the King is a little sloppy, you can see a 0.5mm gap between the metal face plate and the plastic housing, dust can get hidden and that's my only dislike. They do fit better then the zs6, and seals better.

Right now the zs6 sound signature suits me and is my favorite at the moment.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #30,638 of 63,917
So I ordered a second KZ Bluetooth cable, this one appears to be a slightly different version of the prior one I bought. To put my first cable into discoverable mode you have to hold the plus and play buttons at the same time while the cable is off. This method is not working for my second cable, nor is any other combination of button presses. I've tried everything with the cable both on and off. It does turn on, but I also do not hear the beep notification that I get on my first cable when holding plus after the cable is at max volume, so I think something may be wrong with the plus button.

Is there something I'm missing here or does this sound like a defective cable?

Apr 14, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #30,639 of 63,917
So I ordered a second KZ Bluetooth cable, this one appears to be a slightly different version of the prior one I bought. To put my first cable into discoverable mode you have to hold the plus and play buttons at the same time while the cable is off. This method is not working for my second cable, nor is any other combination of button presses. I've tried everything with the cable both on and off. It does turn on, but I also do not hear the beep notification that I get on my first cable when holding plus after the cable is at max volume, so I think something may be wrong with the plus button.

Is there something I'm missing here or does this sound like a defective cable?

All of my KZ bluetooth cables work exactly like this (click for larger view):

KZ Bluetooth cable.jpg

So if yours won't do these functions, I would say it's defective.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #30,641 of 63,917
Hmmm, does anyone see any similarities between the last 2 FR graphs below?

1st is a stock ZS6. The 2nd is a (secret) modded ZS6. The 3rd is a ZS10.

Based on how I modded the ZS6 and the resulting FR graphs, I personally believe there was something very wrong with the ZS10 that thephonegraph.net received.

Stock ZS6:

Secret modded ZS6:

Stock ZS10:

(ignore the fact that the phonograph.net FR graph goes to 24kHz)
Now that sounds interesting and mysterious. First, is this the ZS6 washer mod (or why is the mode secret?). Second, what is wrong with your last two FR graphs?

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #30,642 of 63,917
Now that sounds interesting and mysterious. First, is this the ZS6 washer mod (or why is the mode secret?). Second, what is wrong with your last two FR graphs?

No, not washer modded. This was mods to the ZS6 BA drivers, and affects >4kHz.

The point was the striking similarities between the middle graph (ie my new modded ZS6) and the last graph (stock ZS10 f/thephonograph.net)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #30,643 of 63,917
Definitely better then stock.
Small piece cut from the white part on a swiffer duster, removed one thin layer on one side.

IMG_20180414_234059_156.jpg
IMG_20180414_233758_125.jpg

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #30,645 of 63,917

Users who are viewing this thread

Back