Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 24, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #29,491 of 63,914
I'm in! Thanks.

No problem. If UiiSii is as good as people report then the thread should hold it's own.

When I see how many models UiiSii has released over the past two years I reckon they are KZ's closest competition when I consider a company's ability to keep up with strong demand without be strangled by the lack of working capital. If the company is managed properly they should be able to increase their market share and compete with KZ, otherwise there will continue to be a one-hit-wonder every six months and KZ will go practically unchallenged. Maybe they're happy to be where they are but hopefully, UiiSii will rise to the occasion and bring more exceptional models to the marketplace.

I purchased the US90 about two years ago and the Hi-905 about six months ago. The US90 was comparable to KZ's price-to-performance ratios, but the Hi-905 was questionable at $50. Going from memory the US90 was comparable to the ED3 "Acme", but I remember the "Acme having better noise isolation. I'd love to see UiiSii take another crack at it by competing against the ZSR, especially if they can do it with a single graphene dynamic driver.

At any rate, if CM5 owners are enthusiastic enough then the thread should be off to a great start as the impressions and reports come in, but if the CM5 is a one-hit-wonder the thread will probably stall and die.

Time is either an enemy or a friend so keep a watchful eye.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #29,493 of 63,914
I'm quite a few posts behind so someone else may have mentioned. If you're in USA the Amazon Prime price of $10 matches the price from AliExpress sellers other than the official KZ store who do ship to the USA.

Ah its okay mate no rush, I will probably pick up a pair of the HDS3 during the anniversary sale.

The fact that the HDS3 is getting so hard to find means that it's the next KZ to be gone forever. We all watched the same thing happen with the ANV, HDS2, ZS5 v1, Micro Ring, ZS1 v1, ZN1 (with amp), and countless other KZs.

I predict the EDR1 will be the next to be gone forever (after the HDS3). The EDR1 price won't be $4 forever - it will go up in price as it gets harder and harder to find. Then one day it will just be gone for good just like the other before it.

The point is, if you are even remotely on the fence about old (good) models like the HDS3 and/or EDR1, get them now while you still can. Because once they're gone, they're gone for good (unless some collectors sell theirs).

Yeah I think it's totally worth picking up during the sale, especially considering its the smallest IEM KZ ever made.

I've been debating getting a 2nd pair because they are so small yet give me a decent sound making them great for napping and sleeping.

At home with the unique way I sleep and the pillows I use I can sleep with monsters like the KZ ZS6 or ZSR, iBasso IT01, LZ A4 etc so its sort of a non issue. But assuming my health improves to where I can travel again those tiny things appeal. But then there is the upcoming 'sale' this weekend where that same $10 could buy something else to try or go towards a more expensive offering.

Yeah I wanna get some just for that purpose, I've been recently using ED9 and sometimes the Eph-100 for listening when I'm in bed but the HDS3 looks like it will be even more suitable.

I’ll refresh my memory of The Uiisii earbud, but memories of it are lackluster.

Please let us know if you remember anything. :D

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #29,494 of 63,914
Received my first KZ earphone, the ZS6, yesterday. I followed this thread occasionally the past few weeks and was a bit dissapointed to learn that just after I ordered my black ZS6, the gray one received a nozzle lip update. However, as you can see in the picture below, my black KZ also has a nozzle lip. I got lucky I guess :).

So far I am quite impressed with the soundstage and detail. I mostly use in-ears whenever I am on-the-go and feel it is not safe to bring my more expensive Oppo PM3's. Quite a few in-ears already got KIA, and for this purpose I mostly searched for relatively cheap IEMs like the Senns CX 300 II. These were not really detailed and maybe a little too bassy for my preference. I am therefore very happy with my purchase of the ZS6s which are roughly the same costs with upgraded cable and foam ear-tips.

I might be looking for a 'side-(up)grade' IEM too, perhaps for when I'm running. Maybe the ZSR? Anyone got advise? At home I mostly listen through Senn HD650s and occasionally use my Beyer DT770s when there is a lot of noise in the house.

zpIKFSV.png

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #29,495 of 63,914
Received my first KZ earphone, the ZS6, yesterday. I followed this thread occasionally the past few weeks and was a bit dissapointed to learn that just after I ordered my black ZS6, the gray one received a nozzle lip update. However, as you can see in the picture below, my black KZ also has a nozzle lip. I got lucky I guess :).

So far I am quite impressed with the soundstage and detail. I mostly use in-ears whenever I am on-the-go and feel it is not safe to bring my more expensive Oppo PM3's. Quite a few in-ears already got KIA, and for this purpose I mostly searched for relatively cheap IEMs like the Senns CX 300 II. These were not really detailed and maybe a little too bassy for my preference. I am therefore very happy with my purchase of the ZS6s which are roughly the same costs with upgraded cable and foam ear-tips.

I might be looking for a 'side-(up)grade' IEM too, perhaps for when I'm running. Maybe the ZSR? Anyone got advise? At home I mostly listen through Senn HD650s and occasionally use my Beyer DT770s when there is a lot of noise in the house.

zpIKFSV.png
Looks like KZ has been listening to comments from users again. The lip may be on all ZS6 production going forward...

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #29,496 of 63,914

zpIKFSV.png
Where and when did you buy them?

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #29,497 of 63,914
I love the sound signature of the KS ZS6 so much that I bought another, during 4 weeks of listening to each I noticed while the sound signature is the same but there are slight variation in the 2, liked the sound on the black but loved the red color. The tips are Spinfit CP-100M, I tried comply foam and it did not work with my ear, these Spinfit are so comfy and they seal great.
IMG_20180324_014007_081.jpg
IMG_20180324_012717_707.jpg

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #29,498 of 63,914

zpIKFSV.png

Yep, the ZSR would be a good choice: similar to the ES3 and ZST but better in every department and without any obvious flaws such as piercing. Overall less detaiIed however more rounded and less fatiguing than the ZS6. I also have the ZS6 and a similar headphone selection (incl. the HD600 and Beyerdynamic Custom Pro).

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #29,499 of 63,914
ZSR has a somewhat unique shape. Just because the Fonge would fit you, it does not mean the ZSR would fit the same way. The same as the KZ ZST or ZS3. They are all slightly unique shape that fit most people just fine, but some people they don't fit well. Or for example, the ZS3 fits me great but doesn't fit my brother.

If you want something cheaper than the ZSR, but with that "custom IEM" looking shape AND great sound, try the NiceHCK Bro. It is only $14 during the Aliexpress sale in a few days. I was just using them last night, and the sound is close to the ZSR for half the price. It's like the ZSR's little brother :)

Have you got a link for the NiceHCK Bro as that sounds interesting. Also I have the ZSR and the UiiSii CM5L which are both fantastic for the price.

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #29,500 of 63,914
Have you got a link for the NiceHCK Bro as that sounds interesting. Also I have the ZSR and the UiiSii CM5L which are both fantastic for the price.

Not handy, but it comes right up if you go to Aliexpress and type in nicehck bro.

It also goes by 2 other names. But all 3 are identical hardware to one another, just rebrands of one another. They do each include very slightly different eartips though, but are identical in every other way.

They are actually really nice IEMs. Very fun and musical. They have a smooth v-shaped sound, with no sibilance, no piercing treble, nice soundstage, are very comfortable in the ear, and have a nice silver MMCX cable. The sound is very similar to the ZSR, but without the occasional sibilance and odd artificial compressed sound the ZSR has sometimes. It’s like if the ZSR had a brother - the “better” of the 2 brothers - the tall, blond-haired, straight-A, captain of the football team one. What’s not to like about that?

To be honest, I was not expecting much when I received it. But I’ll tell you this - I was pleasantly surprised. Hardly anyone talks about them, but they really are great IEMs for a bargain price.

If you search HeadFi for the Bro, there’s a few others that have tried it and were also shocked by it. Again, there are 3 rebrands of the same exact thing, so I’d just get whichever one is the cheapest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 24, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #29,501 of 63,914
It is curious once again, the different perception we have of sound when it comes to IEMS.

I have both at home, NiceHCK Bro and KZ ZSR, and accepting that the Bro is fine, for me the ZSR is far superior. ZSR has subbass, the Bro does not know them. The mids being very nice in the Bro do not have the detail and the separation of ZSR.
The treble is more relaxed in the Bro, better to hear bad recordings, because the ZSR will show you all the defects of it.

Once again, it could be a different adjustment in each person, differences of the tips...

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #29,502 of 63,914
It is curious once again, the different perception we have of sound when it comes to IEMS.

I have both at home, NiceHCK Bro and KZ ZSR, and accepting that the Bro is fine, for me the ZSR is far superior. ZSR has subbass, the Bro does not know them. The mids being very nice in the Bro do not have the detail and the separation of ZSR.
The treble is more relaxed in the Bro, better to hear bad recordings, because the ZSR will show you all the defects of it.

Once again, it could be a different adjustment in each person, differences of the tips...

I'm 100% with you on this. I have the BGVP version which is just alright.

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #29,503 of 63,914
Yup. Also goes by the name BGVP SGZ-DN1.

Audiobudget has reviews on all 3 if anyone wants to read up on them (although I know some people question that site's honesty). But still, it's nice to get another opinion.

https://audiobudget.com/product/BGVP/SGZ-DN1

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #29,504 of 63,914

Yeah, as you said we all have slightly different perceptions. That's why it's good to get more than 1 opinion (or better yet, get an IEM and try it for yourself).

And as you pointed out, they have different strengths - the Bro/SGZ-DN1 version do have better mids and smoother sound (it's more forgiving of lower quality/poor recordings and low end sources such as cell phones). The ZSR has better separation, more detail, clarity, and is more rewarding on higher quality recordings and on better gear.

I did tip roll on mine, and found that getting a good seal and deep insertion using silicone tips is critital. Otherwise, there is no sub bass.

You can see from this FR graph that there's plenty of sub bass (even below 20Hz), although it does start rolling off above that.

Bro.fr.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back