Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 27, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #28,666 of 63,954
3-4hrs: Plugged the ZSR's into the modi/magni and they're BASS CANNONS. The extension down very low is still pretty disappointing. It feels like 20hz-40hz is like -5dB from 50-100Hz.You can feel it pushing air, but it doesn't actually make any sound. I can hear it fine in the ZS5's and IT03's. Listening to my UK [proper] Dubstep from Rinse.FM is a little disappointing so far. Soundstage is pretty typical for KZ's on par with the ZST which I thought had a fairly good soundstage.

I can't really tell you if they're comfortable since I was using the IT03's for 2-3 weeks prior and the ZSR's are almost an exact copy at least on the inner shell so my ear is already fairly used to the design. They aren't any worse than the IT03's, though the IT03's definitely hurt for at least a week while getting used to them.

Tracks:

This one should have monster sub bass, but is severely disappointing in the ZSR's so far.

The whirlwinds are the eartips that work best for me on the ZSR and that monstrous nozzle.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #28,667 of 63,954
The last thing we need is a situation like the mRice & Baldoor E100, where nobody really knew what was going on, there was supposedly good and bad versions that had zero distinguishing characteristics, and a dozen other small issues making it difficult to track down a supposedly good unit.

*cough* ZS5 *cough*

*cough* ZS1 *cough*

*cough* ATE *cough*

*cough* ATR *cough*

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #28,669 of 63,954
I just received my set of Torx screwdrivers today, so you know what that means...

Lo and behold I took apart the ZS6.

eBszQB3.jpg

One of the main reasons why I needed to open the ZS6 was to examine any damages I had caused to the BA drivers, but apparently I don't think you can access the BA drivers from the back unless you remove the two other drivers, which is basically suicide.

BGYBvaa.jpg

I got some sticky tack stuck in the BAs, but when I try use a needle to scrape them out, there is literally nothing that you can scrape out, despite it still being stuck in there. I'm so confused, I don't understand BA drivers at all......

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #28,670 of 63,954
I just received my set of Torx screwdrivers today, so you know what that means...

Lo and behold I took apart the ZS6.

eBszQB3.jpg

Nice, here we have yet another example of a non-black ZS6 unit with the offset 6mm driver and no resistor.

And you’re right about the BA drivers - once the 10mm dynamic is sealed in place, the BAs can only be accessed from the nozzle side.

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #28,671 of 63,954
Hi All

So I had a look at the ZS6, the BAs look identical through the nozzle I could only see the exits though, not the sides to read anything, or the rears to check for passives.
The wiring is + and - in on the connector, this goes to the 10mm Bass driver, the -ve wire distributes to all drivers, the BAs have a 19.0Ohm resistor in series with their +ve cable and are wired in parallel, the 6mm sub driver has a 13.2Ohm resistor in series with it on the back. Everything seems to be assembled with a sensible modest amount of quality very flexible glue. I will try and post some pics later.

If anyone esp UK based has a dead pair or odd driver I could exchange for a few beer tokens to dissect further, let me know. I'd be interested in the casings to have a play with some drivers I have.
thanks for measuring the resistors!
the SMD resistor which is 200 labeled means 20Ω (SMD label convention), as you stated (you read 19Ω with your DMM).
after doing resistance calculations, it matches the total dc resistance and resistance at low frequencies i measured (gross values):

BA KZ30095: ~13Ω
DD (6mm or 10mm): ~31Ω
resistors: ~20Ω, ~14Ω

zs5v1 (no resistors): DD || DD || BA || BA. total dc resistance: ~4.5Ω
zs6: [R1 + (BA || BA)] || [R2 + (DD || DD)]. total dc resistance: ~14Ω

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #28,672 of 63,954
You guys should focus your attention to the larger dynamic.

Look at all of the last 3 pictures posted; C2thew - black, Puggie - grey, NeonHD - red. A mesh covers the driver and appears "white" in the center, the vent. A washer/ring (plastic i guess) covers the outer side of the driver under the mesh appearing "black", and then a circle of metal surounds. The white circle is significantly smaller in the last 3 ZS6 posted than it is in the pictures posted previously. And as the hole is smaller the black washer/ring is larger in these 3. I'd say the vent is about 1/3 of the previous. That's the kind of trick you can pull if you want to change the bass response of the driver. And it looks pretty consistant over all 3 pairs. (So it can indicate a moar bass or otherwise refined sig.)

Looking at older pictures the size of the black washer seems to vary a bit. Hoever the new pictures posted here show the washer being significantly larger.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLiFck1UQAAfQYG.jpg
https://forum.hkepc.net/month_1709/1709141811459194e45543a097.jpg

The non-center vent on the smaller driver seems to have been around for a while.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #28,673 of 63,954
this probs doesnt help the 'controversy', i only ordered my ZS5's about 4 weeks ago...had them for 10 days or so now....i dunno if ive got V1 or V2 or V3 or whatever but they sound amazing; i'm listening to tunes i know like the back of my hand and and they all sound fresh and new. I cant enthuse about these IEMs enough. Theres no harsh treble or sibilance or bass bloat. everything is rich and detailed with a beautifully wide soundstage...like a Havi B3 Pro1 but deeper. i love them. cant put them down.

I ordered a pair of ZSR's today so looking forward to how they compare when they arrive but ATM these are my ideal IEMs.

Much prefer them to the TinAudio T2's I received about a week before.

The ZS5 has great sound and fit for me using ortofon tips, love the soundstage. The only thing that bothers me is the exaggerated treble volume and position on the soundstage. It's like having the drummer on the center in front of you, but someone put the cymbals right next to you. They never sounded sibilant or splashy though, just unnaturally close.

I like the T2 better altough the stage could be better

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #28,675 of 63,954
I'm a drummer so I don't mind that ha ha! altho tbf haven't really noticed that so much

Swap left to right, and you have yourself a drummer's point of view mix :beyersmile:

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #28,676 of 63,954
this probs doesnt help the 'controversy', i only ordered my ZS5's about 4 weeks ago...had them for 10 days or so now....i dunno if ive got V1 or V2 or V3 or whatever but they sound amazing; i'm listening to tunes i know like the back of my hand and and they all sound fresh and new. I cant enthuse about these IEMs enough. Theres no harsh treble or sibilance or bass bloat. everything is rich and detailed with a beautifully wide soundstage...like a Havi B3 Pro1 but deeper. i love them. cant put them down.
I ordered a pair of ZSR's today so looking forward to how they compare when they arrive but ATM these are my ideal IEMs.
Much prefer them to the TinAudio T2's I received about a week before.
Same here. I think You have v1 in Your hands&ears (lucky You!). I haven`t heard T2`s but that says lot good about ZS5v1.
The ZS5 has great sound and fit for me using ortofon tips, love the soundstage. The only thing that bothers me is the exaggerated treble volume and position on the soundstage. It's like having the drummer on the center in front of you, but someone put the cymbals right next to you. They never sounded sibilant or splashy though, just unnaturally close.
I like the T2 better altough the stage could be better
Seems You have v2. I hear exactly opposite - outside of "headstage" imaging and good depth/distance, with nicely layered and spread out "around" You presentation.
Maybe it`s about the tips You use (foams?) that let BA (cymbals) sound more in play and DD (drums) lay back due to compressed tip edge inside ear? Who knows...

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #28,677 of 63,954
Same here. I think You have v1 in Your hands&ears (lucky You!). I haven`t heard T2`s but that says lot good about ZS5v1.

Seems You have v2. I hear exactly opposite - outside of "headstage" imaging and good depth/distance, with nicely layered and spread out "around" You presentation.
Maybe it`s about the tips You use (foams?) that let BA (cymbals) sound more in play and DD (drums) lay back due to compressed tip edge inside ear? Who knows...

I bought it September 2017, who knows what version it was, you surely have the better idea. I used ortofon silicon tips (i never use foam tips). I also tried the stock tips and some spinfits, but like the ortofons the best. I only had them briefly and sold them afterwards, because i like the urbanfun and einsear T2 better at the time

The soundstage is large, but to me it is a bit exaggerated and spaced out weirdly compared to my other gears (iems, earbuds, headphones and studio monitor speakers included)
Nice, large and trippy staging, but not accurate for me

Feb 28, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #28,678 of 63,954
For what it counts, I compared my ZS5v1 with my desk setup (Modified Aune T1 with siemens e88cc goldpin + Fidelio X1 with custom cable) and ZS5v1 is VERY similar and accurate in imaging, layering and soundstage. I definitely wouldn`t say that ZS5v1 soundstage is exaggerated but v2 and ZS6 might sound so due to little more boosted highs and lows.
September 2017 should be time that only ZS5v2 was available.

Feb 28, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #28,680 of 63,954
My searching is failing me and if mentioned on this thread apologies but any idea when I can get a set of balanced cables for my ZS5s and 6s ? My googlefoo is weak with this one :wink:

Veclan cables (AKA VE) has them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back