1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. DocHoliday
    Do a search on Aliexpress for 2-pin and ZS6. Most cables have several configurations (2.5 balanced, 3.5 SE or 4.4 balanced). You should get about a dozen or so from multiple sellers.
    HTB17gW4X_lYBeNjSszcq6zwhFXaQ.jpg_q85.jpg HTB1LydPg2xNTKJjy0Fjq6x6yVXaY.jpg_q85.jpg

2. CoiL
    Doc ...are You sure that most of those are terminated correctly @ 4-pole TRRS ?

3. DocHoliday
    Great question!

I've no idea.

I suppose the only way to confirm is to purchase and test one, then post the results here for all to see.

I think the balanced cables usually start at about $30 to $40.

What's the main indication for you that calls thing in to question?

.....uniformity of the cables in the 4 cable pic?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  4. DSebastiao
  5. mrmoto050
    You are correct, they are both SE there are only 2 rings. below is an example of balanced cable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DSebastiao and DocHoliday like this.
  6. bsoplinger
    My solution for reasonably priced balanced cables is to make them myself, sort of. What I do is to buy this style upgrade cable (see comment below)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...Cable-Earphone-Upgrade-Cable/32842791429.html

And then just solder on the appropriate 2.5mm or 3.5mm TRRS jack. You can get MMCX versions of the cable for around $10 and jacks are inexpensive. Just search for size TRRS jack and you'll find plenty of inexpensive options. Just don't include the word balance in your search because you'll end up paying a premium for a "balanced" jack which will be electrically identical to one that's made to sell as a SE + microphone jack. I use these style cables because there are 4 distinct wires from jack to earphone so its rather easy to figure out what each wire is for.

Edit: I should add that the link is to show the style of cable I'm using not the specific one. @DocHoliday reports this particular one as turning green within a few months. I was just too lazy to hunt up a link to the exact one I purchased.

mrmoto050, DocHoliday, CoiL and 2 others like this.
  7. CoiL
    Yeah, this is the cheapest way and much more options (choice of different angle jacks + choice of cable type and looks). And if You have skills, then proper soldering will do only good.
    Though, cheapest TRRS jacks are... well... CHEAP and quite crap actually. Before buying, asking feedback from h-fi DIY cable thread is highly recommended.

8. gazzington
    Which kz iems are best for black and death metal?

9. CoiL
    Something with fast and punchy/powerful percussion&bass (but not overdone or boosted) - ZST maybe?

10. DocHoliday
    Has there been a spate of incorrectly terminated TRRS jacks from Aliexpress sellers?

11. DocHoliday
    Be aware that this cable turned bright green within 90 days. 61M8hyQI-GL-1.jpg

12. bsoplinger
    I'll have to update my posting to mention that the link is to the style of cable I've purchased and not that particular one. Those I've gotten are holding up well for me but I'd have to log onto my AliExpress account and go through my orders to find out exactly what I purchased.

13. DSebastiao
    So, is there really a v2? If so, what's the difference in terms of sound?

14. chinmie
    That answers my minor gripe with the ZS5 then, as i might had the V2. No point on chasing the V1 now because the chance of finding them are slim unless getting them used. If only KZ make the ZS6 with the ZS5 configuration sound, i'll buy it. It would make a great sounding workout iem

15. Slater
    I've been working on this topic, and have made headway. I hope to be done with my teardowns and evaluations within a week, and will present the final evidence.