Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 13, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #28,111 of 63,914
shy of the pin spacing being .78mm instead of .75mm (KZ) should work fine. just don't try to switch back & forth between this & the KZ .75 cables. there have been other notes in this thread about using .78 cables, it's do-able, but will stretch out the connector some.

i picked up the smoke/grey KZ cable. http://a.co/d177iza (amazon)
i also prefer the straight connector as they work with all models without modification (the angled connectors are larger & won't fit some models without modification) i posted pics of the differences a wile back in this thread.
cable.jpg

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #28,112 of 63,914
So after lurking for months on this thread, I just want to say thanks to all the regulars here. Since November, I've purchase the ZS6, ZST Pro, ZS3 and the ATE as well as the UiiSii CM5 recommended by Slater. I also saved a bit by resisting "upgrade" cables because of the fluctuations in resistance amongst all the cables as well as the green oxidation issue.

Any ideas about these or something similiar? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...th-Or-Without-Mic-IEM-cables/32786849092.html

I like the fact that these cables are listed in aliexpress under home > all categories > beauty & health > tools & accessories > toiletry kits :poop:

nice find. don't think i've seen a black one yet. looks like removing the memory wire would be hard to remove (if you're not a fan of the memory wires)

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #28,113 of 63,914
Feb 13, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #28,114 of 63,914
So after lurking for months on this thread, I just want to say thanks to all the regulars here. Since November, I've purchase the ZS6, ZST Pro, ZS3 and the ATE as well as the UiiSii CM5 recommended by Slater. I also saved a bit by resisting "upgrade" cables because of the fluctuations in resistance amongst all the cables as well as the green oxidation issue.

Any ideas about these or something similiar? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...th-Or-Without-Mic-IEM-cables/32786849092.html

I like the fact that these cables are listed in aliexpress under home > all categories > beauty & health > tools & accessories > toiletry kits :poop:

Be aware that those are .78mm and KZ uses .75mm.

I've not used .78mm on my KZ's yet, but you should still be aware of it. Besides, they look very similar to the TRN cables which are .75mm and cost less.
I have the black and the white. It's a good cable.

20180112_135132.jpg

HTB1WjeletHO8KJjSZFLq6yTqVXaU.jpg
HTB1z.iLjTvI8KJjSspjq6AgjXXaH.jpg_q85.jpg

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #28,115 of 63,914
Be aware that those are .78mm and KZ uses .75mm.

I've not used .78mm on my KZ's yet, but you should still be aware of it. Besides, they look very similar to the TRN cables which are .75mm and cost less.
I have the black and the white. It's a good cable.

Thanks for the heads up. Any noticeable sound quality difference or just for comfort/fashion?

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #28,116 of 63,914
To those who got silver "upgrade" cable with angled 2-pin for ZST/ZS3, white rings jack and have measured it having imbalance and high impedance, then, cut off that crappy jack and replace with better like Neutrik NTP3RC-B (though this is almost same price as cable) for example and You get around 0.5 Ohm impedance for R/L/G (multimeter leads resistance of 0.3Ohm already extracted), which is quite good and basically same as stock ZS5/ZS3 teal-color cable, just much more comfy and nicer looking. I also cut down 2-pin plastic "frame" around pins, so it fits my ZS5 like a glove.
Will post pic later.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #28,117 of 63,914
I don't think they do one without a mic, but it is pretty small and light - I don't use it but neither do I notice it. If you need further endorsement of the CM5, ask @Slater, I think it was his recommendation that got me onto them.

The CM5 is great. I bought mine way before most of the people here just because Amazon UK had a lightning deal and I was intrigued. I only had a couple of other iems at the time. I was afraid to post about them because I assumed I knew nothing and that my thoughts meant nothing. Now I have learned to trust my ears. I could have just stopped with the CM5 and been happy. So why do I have so many other? Because Headfi is bad!

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #28,118 of 63,914
Feb 13, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #28,119 of 63,914
I was afraid to post about them because I assumed I knew nothing and that my thoughts meant nothing. Now I have learned to trust my ears.

Your thoughts, input, experience, and questions are always valued and appreciated.

Don’t ever hesitate to share your feedback with the community :)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #28,120 of 63,914
Apologies if you have covered this, but have you tried the UiiSii CM5? I don't have the ZS5 (either one) but I find the CM5 to be more spacious and natural than the ZS6, with smoother highs without losing any detail. They are very cheap at the moment:

https://www.amazon.com/Earphones-UiiSii-CM5-Headphones-Comfortable/dp/B07415PGTY

Also, some people on here found a code that reduces them to $8.99. That's a steal!

Yes, I bought 2 of the Cm5 from Amazon at the 8.99 price with the coupon and boy am I glad I did. I absolutely love my ZS5v1 and have no problems with high peaks nor sibilance however the Cm5 is equally good with a different sound Signature. Smooth yet somehow still detailed. Resolution is on par with the ZS5. Nothing in this price range beats the Zs5 in soundstage width but Cm5 soundstage is quite adequate. All told for 8.99 with free 2 day shipping the Cm5 currently stands as my deal of the year for 2018.If you can still get it do it...get two cuz you can only use the coupon on one order. I know I tried to order 2 more lol....Thanks Slater and the rest of you who recommended.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #28,121 of 63,914
:wink:
I have to tell you, K, upon going over your impressions one more time I came away with the melancholy feeling that I should have purchased more than one ZS5(i) when I made my purchase. It's actually odd that I didn't order a back-up pair when I put my order through. I learned early on to buy at least two KZ's instead of one for at least two reasons.

1) Replacing a pair could lead to a lengthy wait (slow boat from China).

2) KZ has a tendency to silently alter the sound in their best selling IEMs (ATE, ZS1, ZS3, ZS5, and ZS6), so if I want a backup of the original I best order it when it's available. The only time this wasn't the best decision was with the ED12, but I only spent $24 total on them, so....

I am hoping that KZ actually has retuned the ZS5(iii), but only time will tell. It's all speculation at this point, but I'll order another ZS5 in a few weeks just to be sure. Truth is even if they retuned a ZS5(iii) it won't sound the same as a ZS5(i) due to the use of a crossover this time.

This review/impression in particular has me revisiting what a gem the ZS5(i) is, particularly at it's sub-$40 price tag.

.....but hey, if a ZS5(iii) exists, maybe it will be more refined than the original ZS5(i).

Maybe...
Maybe not...

Tic toc tic toc.......

I might be persuaded to do an amicable trade with you for an original ZS5 and even let you pick between the blue or gray pairs

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #28,122 of 63,914
Thanks for the heads up. Any noticeable sound quality difference or just for comfort/fashion?

The white TRN cable is still in it's original packaging and thus far the black TRN cable has only been coupled to the TRN you see in the first image, but in general I purchase upgrade cables for quality, comfort, decreased microphonics and aesthetics.

Hakuzen tested several of the cables (for resistance) that were designed for use with KZ in-ears, but you'll have to ferret that out unless someone else re-posts it here again. Typically, your choice of eartips and your choice of source will have a greater effect on sound shaping than IEM cables. Usually, if changing cables makes a difference there is something else in the equation that is causing it and you'd have to do your due diligence to figure out what it is.

I ran into this with my ES3 a few pages back, but haven't had a chance to narrow it down yet.
The tri-braid upgrade cable made them a little brighter than the stock cables. I was literally surprised at the difference. They're warm and smooth with the stock cable, but with the tri-braids the mid-bass just seemed to drop and the upper midrange and lower treble moved forward. I've been used to the warmer presentation. Not sure if I like the brighter sound with the upgrades. I'll have to play with them for a few days.

Didn't expect this.

Anyone else have the ES3, tri-braided upgrade cable, stock cable and a DAP with less than 1.0 impedance?

If so, test while using a splitter and please use the track in the spoiler drop down to report your findings (if your DAP is android based you can access YouTube).

Thanks

Fiio X3(i)
Output impedance - 0.3 Ω(32Ω)
Output power - 540 mW (16 Ω/THD+N<1%)

KZ ES3
Impedance - 18 Ω (though it's been reported to have 10 Ω)
Frequency Response 7hz - 40khz
Sensitivity - 106db

*** EDIT ***

I forgot that I saved Hakuzen's info:

DC resistance of KZ cables (read by DMMs), in ohms (left, right, and ground).

zst/es3/zsr type (valid for zs3/5/6, sometimes plastic trimming suggested):

(31) kz plated (4cords,w/transp,black rings)......................0.35/36/40 0.35/37/39 0.35/37/40
(31)
10065414.jpg

(38) kz zst/es3(/zs5/zs6+trim) plated+metal plug+6cords...0.42/43/45/52/42/43 0.43/43/45/44/43/44 0.44/43/45/42/44/43

(38)
61CAVPVJXpL._SY400_.jpg

(06) kz es3 stock mic.........................................................0.66 0.66 0.66-68

(08) kz zsr stock mic..........................................................0.64 0.64 0.88

(32) kz plated (4cords,white rings,gearbest)................0.63/76 0.60/62 0.61/83

(02) kz zst stock mic..........................................................0.95 0.87 0.87

both types:

(34) zs3/zs6/zst/es3 colors(orange)...................................0.70 0.70 0.70

(35) zs3/zs6/zst/es3 colors(gray).......................................0.64 0.79 0.66

zs3/5/6 type:

(30) kz zs3/5/6 plated (4cords)..........................................0.67/70 0.67/70 0.67/70

(40) kz zs3/5/6 ofc plated (4cords,grey,"new",thick coat)...0.69 0.70 0.68

(40)
10065429.jpg

(07) kz zs6 stock................................................................0.70 0.60 0.39

(04) kz zs5 stock................................................................0.66 0.63 0.38

(00) kz zs3 stock mic..........................................................0.84 0.84 0.84

(35) Grey 2-pin with translucent connectors
(34) Orange 2-pin with translucent connectors

(42)
HTB1z.iLjTvI8KJjSspjq6AgjXXaH.jpg_q85.jpg

Sorry, I'll have to clarify this TRN cable's measurements.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #28,124 of 63,914
I have my ZS6 and ZSR for a while now. Read through pages of discussion here made me grab the CM5 and HM7. Decided to give them some comparisons later but in the meantime, just for fun, I plug the ZS6 to my desktop chain with a balanced 3.5mm adapter to 4 pin XLR balanced (my ECP DSHA-0 only has 4 pins balanced output). To my surprise, this is the best combo I had so far with ZS6! I bet it will sound good but when I plug the other IEMs like ZSR, CM5, and HM7, the ZS6 is way superior to any of them. The lacking bass is now present with better bodies and well-controlled; the unnecessary treble went from nasty to amazing but not too warm. The separation and clarity are on par with my Westone 30. The sound fills your ear canal like full-size cans and it has more natural soundstage. No mod applied just a silver cable that has been used for couple months now.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #28,125 of 63,914
I have my ZS6 and ZSR for a while now. Read through pages of discussion here made me grab the CM5 and HM7. Decided to give them some comparisons later but in the meantime, just for fun, I plug the ZS6 to my desktop chain with a balanced 3.5mm adapter to 4 pin XLR balanced (my ECP DSHA-0 only has 4 pins balanced output). To my surprise, this is the best combo I had so far with ZS6! I bet it will sound good but when I plug the other IEMs like ZSR, CM5, and HM7, the ZS6 is way superior to any of them. The lacking bass is now present with better bodies and well-controlled; the unnecessary treble went from nasty to amazing but not too warm. The separation and clarity are on par with my Westone 30. The sound fills your ear canal like full-size cans and it has more natural soundstage. No mod applied just a silver cable that has been used for couple months now.

I still think the ZS6 was the best deal of 2017 for IEMs. Something to consider when the sub-$50 Knowledge Zenith ZS6 did well in comparisons with the likes of a $400 Westone UM30 and a $400 Noble Audio Trident, though it's all subjective.

It's food for thought but I don't mind saying the ZS6(i) is a great IEM, especially at under $50.

Westone UM30
71V3Fo8ABkL._SL1500_.jpg

Noble Audio Trident
noble_trident_04-1.jpg

KZ ZS6
61M8hyQI-GL-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back