Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #25,711 of 63,945
Some burn-in time later I can now present the the not so astonishing results :)

The first measurement was done at approx. <1h playtime, the second one about 20-30h of burn-in later. Each channel was placed in the coupler and measured 4 individual times the reduce the effects of positioning. The final measurements are averages over all measurements and channels, so 8 individual measurements total.

"No burn-In" in green, "burn-in" in blue:

As can be seen the burn-in has changed nothing. Before commenting with something like "but there's less treble above 10 kHz!", take a look at this graph:

The above graph shows 4 individual measurements of the left earpiece after burn-in. As the earpiece was taken out and placed again before every measurement, small deviations in the FR occur because of a slightly different positioning. High frequencies are particularly sensitive to this effect. I can absolutely not ensure that the positioning before and after burn-in is the same, hence the small deviations are to be attributed to the positioning in the coupler rather than to burn-in. Mind that temperature and other environmental influences do affect measurements as well.

I gonna tag @Brooko, @castleofargh and @hakuzen here as I think you guys might enjoy some "burn-in" measurements :ksc75smile:

PS: THD measurements didn't change either.

thanks! results are like expected :wink:
in my record, i've only experienced slight differences with some iems for the first 10-20 minutes (but didn't measure them right out of the box and then, so even in these cases the cause could be fast brain burn-in) .

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #25,712 of 63,945
So, what would You recommend to me as upgrade to ZS5v1&ATE FF-mod with similar imaging/soundstage? I`ve been curious about 100-150$ price bracket IEMs long time now but many of them fall out after reading some impressions/reviews from trusted reviwers I follow. So far there has been only few left on my radar - TK 9tail, AAW Nebula 2 and maybe few other candidates that I still need to research more. AAW N2 seems very interesting but its price is little high compared to LZ A4, IT03 etc. and I don`t know if they justify itself. CH9T seems interesting too but I prefer over-ear wearing and rather overear-shells.
Well, as you probably know I'm a big fan of the 9tail. That's a good option if you like a fairly smooth presentation. From what I've read about the ZS5 though I think it would sound vastly different (I don't have KZ models after ZST colorful).

The Alpha & Delta is pretty awesome. They're standard cylinder shape but can be worn over ear.

Other leaning towards bright with soundstage are the TFZ Exclusive King and Series 4.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #25,713 of 63,945
As the earpiece was taken out and placed again before every measurement, small deviations in the FR occur because of a slightly different positioning. High frequencies are particularly sensitive to this effect. I can absolutely not ensure that the positioning before and after burn-in is the same, hence the small deviations are to be attributed to the positioning in the coupler rather than to burn-in. Mind that temperature and other environmental influences do affect measurements as well.

A range of 5db on the 10khz peak just because of a slightly different positioning ? Damn... now we know why some, me included, have feel a difference and think mistakenly that it was the burn-in.

Oh well, thanks to have pointed that, it was very interesting.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #25,714 of 63,945
Some burn-in time later I can now present the the not so astonishing results :)

The first measurement was done at approx. <1h playtime, the second one about 20-30h of burn-in later. Each channel was placed in the coupler and measured 4 individual times the reduce the effects of positioning. The final measurements are averages over all measurements and channels, so 8 individual measurements total.

"No burn-In" in green, "burn-in" in blue:

As can be seen the burn-in has changed nothing. Before commenting with something like "but there's less treble above 10 kHz!", take a look at this graph:

The above graph shows 4 individual measurements of the left earpiece after burn-in. As the earpiece was taken out and placed again before every measurement, small deviations in the FR occur because of a slightly different positioning. High frequencies are particularly sensitive to this effect. I can absolutely not ensure that the positioning before and after burn-in is the same, hence the small deviations are to be attributed to the positioning in the coupler rather than to burn-in. Mind that temperature and other environmental influences do affect measurements as well.

I gonna tag @Brooko, @castleofargh and @hakuzen here as I think you guys might enjoy some "burn-in" measurements :ksc75smile:

PS: THD measurements didn't change either.
Because... Science!

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #25,719 of 63,945
Just because it's V shaped doesn't make it cheap. It just means it's a sound sig you don't enjoy. This doesn't make it inherently bad. I personally find neutral to be a little boring, but that just means it doesn't suit me, that's all.

It's inherently bad for me. My musical preferences are indie, folk and alternative. Having recessed mids makes my music sound bad.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #25,720 of 63,945
With the removal of the ba from the shell to the nozzle, as some people was complaining before that was no 4 functioning drivers, KZ seems to hear the feedback from us. That gives a chance that zsr will be different tuned than zs6. I'm only hoping, anyway.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #25,721 of 63,945
It's inherently bad for me. My musical preferences are indie, folk and alternative. Having recessed mids makes my music sound bad.

Our musical tastes are pretty similar, and I have to disagree. V shaped doesn't always mean bad mids, it just means they don't take front stage. Some music I listen to like Portishead just doesn't sound right to me with more neutral sounding sigs. Honestly, you might want to get into earbuds, as they've really improved the last couple years. Due to their form factor, they tend to be more balanced overall. They also have a few of incredible value/performance in the low cost range. If you want a thread link, just let me know.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #25,722 of 63,945
@HiFiChris and @hakuzen: Yes, really nothing one wouldn't expect :)

On a slightly different topic: I've attached a file that can be used with EQ APO to gather the effect of a 64 Ohm impedance adapter with the ZS6. That might be handy to do quick comparisons or for everyone that hasn't the appropriate resistors on hand. Just load the file via the include-dialog of EQ APO.

The file will give your ZS6 the light green FR:

KZ-ZS6-vs-64-Ohm-web.png

Edit: Attaching .txt doesn't seem to work, so I've uploaded the file here: KZ ZS6 64 Ohm EQ APO.txt

Attachments

• KZ ZS6 64 Ohm.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #25,723 of 63,945

Have you tried the Marshall Mode? I heard the Marshall Mode is a Marshall Mode and it Marshall Modes really well.

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #25,724 of 63,945
Have you tried the Marshall Mode? I heard the Marshall Mode is a Marshall Mode and it Marshall Modes really well.

Curse you - you just made me spit coffee out of my nose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back