Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #24,376 of 63,835
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #24,377 of 63,835
ZS5 v2 HAS GOT a CROSSOVER

any picture please?
dunno if it's a crossover, a resistor or what, but it looks like the same tweak kz has implemented in zs6. at least, resistance is different to v1, where all drivers were in parallel, no crossover.
i'll confirm it when receive and measure a v2.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #24,378 of 63,835
Thanks @vector84 for the help finally made my impedance adaptor using 2 x 22 ohm 0.25 Watt resistance in series on each channel and it indeed removed the annoying hissing sound.
IMG_20171030_182335.jpg

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #24,379 of 63,835
Don't wanna ruin the flow of things, but if as stated the Zs5 v2s have the same internal as the Zs6.... Then doesn't that mean most people reviewing the Zs6s are undergoing placebo? Cuz I've seen repeated reports of increased bass, better mids and so on.... Would be ironic if it's simply a Zs5 v2 in a metal shell :xf_eek:

Edit: I forgot to take the zs6 vents into account. Should have a larger soundstage but lowered sub bass? (since vent decreases pressure and seal? Or does that depend on how it's tuned?)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #24,380 of 63,835
The vents would make a difference. And the harder aluminum shell could provide dampening.

It would be interesting to see if someone could reverse engineer a ZS6 from a ZS5.

How would you accomplish dampening though?

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #24,381 of 63,835
I want to try to mod my iems. Since somebody's already done it with the kz zs5, I would like to ask here for how to do it.
Does covering the inner vent (the one near the ear muzzle) decrese the bass, and covering the outer vent decrese clarity?

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #24,382 of 63,835
I want to try to mod my iems. Since somebody's already done it with the kz zs5, I would like to ask here for how to do it.
Does covering the inner vent (the one near the ear muzzle) decrese the bass, and covering the outer vent decrese clarity?

The opposite is the case. Covering le inner vent = moar (sub-) bass, whereas covering le outer vent = less (mid-) bass.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #24,383 of 63,835
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #24,384 of 63,835
I don't understand. Didn't you cover the inner vents here http://frequency-response.blogspot.it/2017/06/KZ-ZS5-Frequency-Response.html and reduced the bass?

No.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄███░░░░░
░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░░░
░░███▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█████▀░█░░░░
░░▀█████▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀░▀███░░░░
░░░░███▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀███░░░░██▀░░░░
░░░░██░░░░░░▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄███░░░░░
░░░░▄█▄▄████▀█░█▄██▄▄░░░░░░░░░████▀░░░░░
░░░▄████████░░░██████▄▄▄▄░░░░░████░░░░░░
░░░███░█░▀██░░░▀███░█░░███▄▄░░░░▀█░░░░░░
░░░████▄███▄▄░░░███▄▄▄█████▀░░░░░██░░░░░
░░▄████▀▀░▀██▀░░░▀█████████░░░░░░██░░░░░
░░▀███░░░▄▄▀▀▀▄▄░░░░▀██████░░░░░░░█░░░░░
░░░███░░█░░░░░░░▀░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░█░░░░░
░░░████▄▀░░░░░░░░▀░░░████▄░░░░░░░░░█░░░░
░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░░░█░░░░
░░▄█████████▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░
░░███████████▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░
░░████████▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░
░░████████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
░▄███████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░██░░░░██░░▄▄█████▄▄░░██████▄░███████░░
░░███▄░░██░▄██▀░░░▀██▄░██░░░▀████░░░░░░░
░░█████░█████░░░░░░░█████░░▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄░░
░░██░▀████▀██░░░░░░░██▀██████▀░██▀▀▀▀▀░░
░░██░░░███░▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀░██░░░░░░██▄▄▄▄▄░░
░░▀▀░░░░▀▀░░░▀▀███▀▀░░░▀▀░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #24,386 of 63,835
Here's something odd. I have a ZS5 v1 and just got my hands on a ZS6 and a second ZS5. I plugged on the ZS6 and, as expected, there was that little spike of brightness everyone is trying to tone down. Then I plug in the New ZS5 and the same spike is there. OK I think, this is a v2. I do an A/B comparison for both the new IEMs with my v1. Same source, same tips, same cable. Confirms that both the new ones have the spike that my v1 does not. Finally I pull the screen off the new ZS5 and there's only one BA in the barrel. It's also a v1! Is something besides BA placement going on or is my hearing just that idiosyncratic?
Thanks for interesting observation and info! Something is going with ZS5 revisions/batches definitelt. Luckily I got the "true" first batch v1 and wont be getting ZS6 - I don`t believe it is very noticeable upgrade.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #24,387 of 63,835
While I'm awaiting my ZS6 delivery from GB I have been listening to my ZS5 both Grey and Blue and I believe version one on both. While they are both on the bright side I detect no sibilance. However when I amp them both the brightness mellows a bit, the bass becomes fuller and the overall sound quality increases exponentially... Maybe these KZ drivers require a bit more power to reach full potential and to even out the different frequencies....just using a lowly fiio E6 to amp but boy what a difference....

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #24,388 of 63,835
The ZS5 is 8ohms impedance and most smartphones or DAPs don't have the power (current) to fully drive an 8ohm load. 8ohms is the same impedance as normal open air stereo speakers btw. Although the ZS5's are much more sensitive than room speakers, you would not expect your phone or DAP to power your room speakers that well, likewise, don't expect the same performance when powering 8ohm IEMs. Using an amp, and I have tried many now - always makes a big noticeable difference. Most noticeable is the profound bass the ZS5 is capable of - I mean subwoofer infrasonic stuff if the content is there. It's the body shaking type stuff in movie flicks. The mids and highs will all be more clear and engaging - although using a good SE Class A amp helps in that department immensely. I recently tried the ZS5 (V1's) with a Magni 3 and it did a nice job pulling out the deep infrasonic bass. Although I think for overall presentation I prefer Class A amps.

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #24,389 of 63,835
Thanks @vector84 for the help finally made my impedance adaptor using 2 x 22 ohm 0.25 Watt resistance in series on each channel and it indeed removed the annoying hissing sound.
How's the sound signature change? I'm guessing you would've already mentioned it if that adaptor had caused them to turn into shrieky treble canons rather than mellowing out the treble a bit :wink:

If adding resistance to the v2 mellows out the treble spike, that would be a really strong indicator that they're likely using the same crossover as the ZS6. :D

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #24,390 of 63,835
@hakuzen A few people have reported new white boxes for the ZS5 - since they were never a thing for the v1 that I ever heard of, that might be your best bet for securing a v2?

Just an interesting note: We ordered 5 sets of KZ ZST to use with some Sennheiser wireless in ear monitor systems. Due to an ordering mix up, one set arrived last week in a black box. A later order with the same Amazon vendor arrived Saturday- all four had the white boxes.

By the way, I put together a burn-in rig to break in all 5 IEMs at the same time from the same source. A Monoprice amplified headphone 4-way splitter (not recommended, the more earphones you plug in, the worse it sounds) and a further 2-way passive splitter plugged into one of the outputs. It should provide a good signal for burn-in, although I don't think it will be very listenable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back