Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #24,362 of 63,836
Is that a yes for both or just the first question?
Both (assuming it's the same as the ZS6 implementation), the crossover should present a sane impedance that will still be somewhat current limited, but should generally be fine at sane listening volumes, and it also yields an impedance curve that responds to added resistance with reduced treble.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #24,363 of 63,836
Can you recommend a value of resistance to raise the noise floor I don't mind making 2 different adaptor one with high for my phone and one with low for my laptop since my phone is Mi A1 which is supposed to have a dedicated amp capable to drive upto 600 ohm headphones.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #24,364 of 63,836
Thanks! I have really been enjoying all your measurements on the ZS6, ZS5 V.1 and am looking VERY forward to your findings on the V.2!
Thank you so much for all that information.. Very interesting and helpful... :)

So, I measured my modded ZS5 and it is very close to what you mentioned: 14.7 on one and 14.6 on the other.. I would imagine since I removed one BA from each that it would change resistance a bit?

On a side note: these sound great on 3 different sources.. My Ibasso DX50 (my main DAP) my Computer, and a generic old $25 no name mini DAP that I have laying around.

That was a bit harder to do because they are about the size of a grain of rice, but I was able to do it on one of the BAs and it read @
12.8 Ohms.
thank you very much!! your measurements clarifies a lot about zs5 v2 =))

@AudioObsession, @hakuzen,

Those numbers strongly suggest the v2 does indeed have a crossover, unless I'm missing something?

If they were just in parallel like the v1, ripping out that BA would've taken it to around 7.5, I think?
yep. if the 2 dynamic drivers were identical, they'd be about 30.3Ω DC resistance each.
BAs are identical, so 12.8Ω each.
not far from my hypothesis.
if they were in parallel like in v1, it should have taken it to 6.9Ω from 4.5Ω, like you say.
so yes, ZS5 v2 HAS GOT a CROSSOVER.
the extreme low impedance of zs5 v1 issue is fixed in v2.

Unless something really strange is going on, it will probably be around 14.
And unless the ZS5v2's impedance differs significantly from the ZS6, adding resistance might be an option as per the ZS6 ??
looking forward to receive and measure the v2 to compare with zs6.
if drivers and crossover are identical, and the tube connecting the DD chambers is the same, only difference would be the shell.
so adding resistance plus the other tweaks we've mentioned would work to tame the highs.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #24,365 of 63,836
Can you recommend a value of resistance to raise the noise floor I don't mind making 2 different adaptor one with high for my phone and one with low for my laptop since my phone is Mi A1 which is supposed to have a dedicated amp capable to drive upto 600 ohm headphones.
Unless I've just completely failed at the math here, 50 ohms of resistance and 16 ohms of headphone impedance should be generally in the neighborhood of -15dB attenuation, which should quiet all but the noisiest sources, but you might want more resistance than that depending how much you want to reign in the highs. If your laptop has a high output impedance you might want a smaller value one to keep impedances matched for your sources to maintain the same sound profile.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #24,366 of 63,836
in the case of ZS5 v2 sounding very similar to ZS6, the price of ZS5 v2 is fantastic. you only have to eq them a bit, or the other tweaks.
if someone receives a BLUE ZS5 v2 from gearbest, please shout it, indicating if it was mic or non-mic version (thanks! :wink:)

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #24,368 of 63,836
@hakuzen A few people have reported new white boxes for the ZS5 - since they were never a thing for the v1 that I ever heard of, that might be your best bet for securing a v2?
yup, but did any get white box with blue zs5? i have to re-read the posts..

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #24,370 of 63,836
If you hear a significant channel imbalance, there might be something wrong, otherwise they might just be on either end of tolerances.

Sure looks like there's a good chance the ZS5v2 and ZS6 are pretty much the same internals in different shells ?
Yeah, I'm starting to think the same thing.
So we pay $15 to $20 extra for the cool metal shell? Well, I guess I'm glad I got my ZS6 for only $26 then.
If the ZS6 sounds exactly like my pre-modded ZS5V.2, I'm ripping out the extra BA.

All of this makes me really wish I could have heard a ZS5 V.1

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #24,371 of 63,836
So we pay $15 to $20 extra for the cool metal shell? Well, I guess I'm glad I got my ZS6 for only $26 then.
If the ZS6 sounds exactly like my pre-modded ZS5V.2, I'm ripping out the extra BA.

All of this makes me really wish I could have heard a ZS5 V.1 now.
where do you grab zs6 for 26 usd??

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #24,372 of 63,836

All of this makes me really wish I could have heard a ZS5 V.1 now.
Well there was a post elsewhere a couple weeks back claiming to have compared them (a v2 with a BA removed and a v1 - this is what I meant when I mentioned rumors) that claimed they sounded very similar.

Extrapolating from @hakuzen's data, I'm guessing it would be reasonable to expect they'd probably sound fairly similar on a low impedance source but with some differences in sound stage. If that's true, seems like you've managed to get the best of both worlds - reasonable source matching profile with a very similar sound to the v1, though I've not seen any information that would suggest any way to predict how the sound stage might change.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #24,373 of 63,836
thank you very much!! your measurements clarifies a lot about zs5 v2 =))

yep. if the 2 dynamic drivers were identical, they'd be about 30.3Ω DC resistance each.
BAs are identical, so 12.8Ω each.
not far from my hypothesis.
if they were in parallel like in v1, it should have taken it to 6.9Ω from 4.5Ω, like you say.
so yes, ZS5 v2 HAS GOT a CROSSOVER.
the extreme low impedance of zs5 v1 issue is fixed in v2.

looking forward to receive and measure the v2 to compare with zs6.
if drivers and crossover are identical, and the tube connecting the DD chambers is the same, only difference would be the shell.
so adding resistance plus the other tweaks we've mentioned would work to tame the highs.
ZS5 v2 HAS GOT a CROSSOVER

any picture please?

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #24,374 of 63,836
Well there was a post elsewhere a couple weeks back claiming to have compared them (a v2 with a BA removed and a v1 - this is what I meant when I mentioned rumors) that claimed they sounded very similar.
So I'm not the only one who has done the removal of one BA per unit mod then?

If you can link me to that post I would LOVE to read it.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #24,375 of 63,836
Extrapolating from @hakuzen's data, I'm guessing it would be reasonable to expect they'd probably sound fairly similar on a low impedance source but with some differences in sound stage. If that's true, seems like you've managed to get the best of both worlds - reasonable source matching profile with a very similar sound to the v1, though I've not seen any information that would suggest any way to predict how the sound stage might change.[/QUOTE]

Something else that I just thought of that would probably be difficult or not even possible to do, would be to take one of the BAs and point it inwards towards the body.. The problem with this mod would be that the length of the wires on the BAs are not long enough.. So perhaps on my ZS6 (when it arrives) I will just make a mini cap out of shrink tubing to place over one BA in hopes that it will completely mute it.. I just don't have the heart to butcher my ZS6 like I did to my ZS5.
Then again, I wonder if adding more space in the nozzle improved the tuning on my ZS5?? It just sounds so excellent now...
I guess I just need to order another ZS5V.2 and do some experimental comparisons and tests.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Kae0
Back