Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #22,711 of 63,966
But 2 things. Accessport still sounded better on es3. And walnut v2 sounds bad with es3.
For what i have read, the output impedance of the walnut is 100 ohm, so is not suited for this kind of IEM, without some adapter, like an ear buddy or a portable amp with near one/zero ohm on the output.

I think that, if i like how the ZS6 respond on mine Fulla 2, maybe i could try to buy a Zishan V2, but not without put my Topping between the KZ and the LO output of the source, for the same problem.

Walnut and Zishan are bargains but designed for demanding headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #22,712 of 63,966
Just took delivery of the ZS5 which I grabbed from Gearbest from the US$16.99 flash sale almost a week ago.

It is the Version 2 with the twin BA in the nozzle. I checked more than once to be absolutely sure.

Its not been burned in but first impression OOTB for a 15min listen is that these are not treble cannons. At least not to my ears. Played back on LG G6 (Quad DAC), using FLAC files.

Strange as it seems, but the impression I get here is that the overall balance of bass versus treble is more to my liking compared to Version 1 which I tried previously, though bass seems to be still a little heavier than my most preferred levels. Shall report again maybe over the weekend after I have given it a basic 24hr burn-in and running through my usual playlist. Meanwhile, it seems promising. :)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #22,714 of 63,966
Oct 4, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #22,715 of 63,966
IMG_20171004_143148457.jpg

Just got them!
I think this should be their theme song:

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #22,717 of 63,966
If anyone's particularly interested... there's some posts in the Dunu DN-2000J thread about their dampers, a few people suggested they were the inner core of a regular sized Knowles damper.

Mind you I have no idea if they'd fit here but it's a better answer to what's going on there... :shrug:

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #22,718 of 63,966
I have not seen the insides of the KZ bluetooth cable, but I estimate there is a CSR chip and not only is aptx supported, I believe AAC is in there too.
Because even though my Vfree sounds bigger with bigger bass, the es3 has much better clarity going wirless using an ipad as source.
So the CSR chip must be doing pretty good with its own dac and amp built in.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #22,719 of 63,966
I have not seen the insides of the KZ bluetooth cable, but I estimate there is a CSR chip and not only is aptx supported, I believe AAC is in there too.
Because even though my Vfree sounds bigger with bigger bass, the es3 has much better clarity going wirless using an ipad as source.
So the CSR chip must be doing pretty good with its own dac and amp built in.
Great news, I'm waiting on a BT cable for my ES3 from Gearbest. :call_me:

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #22,720 of 63,966
Oh I'm so Jelli @Viber still waiting on mine tracking shows them in the air. Hoping that after market gold cables looks good on the black:beerchug:

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #22,721 of 63,966
No distortion. But where do you get to all those eq settings?? {my point was that I listen loud}

It's in basic settings... second option (called probably "sound&vibrations")... right on the bottom (called probably "sound quality and effects"). I'm translating Czech language to English. That's why probably. I'm too lazy to change whole phone to English language.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #22,722 of 63,966
So i'm listening to the KZ ZS6 for over an hour now right out of the box, no special EQ, no mods, nothing.
I was a bit sad to get them after reading all of the critics here.

I've been spending the last hour trying to understand how can such a gem get such bad impressions??!

They really do sound like they are a level above all my other in-ears, i don't need EQ to tame any harshness because there isn't any. The bass is there in quantity in bassy tracks, yet is there in accuracy when it isn't called for. i like the decay of the bass.

-Most natural,versatile and fun sounding KZs I've tried (i tried ZS5\modded ZS5\ ZS3\ZSE\ATR).
-Passed bass rumble test.
-Passed rap test (rappers don't sound like they're rapping into a telephone like on other iems).
-Passed metal and wild electric guitars test--->"alright ZS6, you must fail when they play this song live"--> Live song sounds great as well.
-Sounds good in classical music.

ZS6 > Modded ZS5 > ZS5 ~= ZS3 > ATR.

And yes, i cleaned my earwax before listening :grin:

upload_2017-10-4_17-41-40.png

I really hope KZ won't make any revisions to this model in the future!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #22,723 of 63,966
Just took delivery of the ZS5 which I grabbed from Gearbest from the US$16.99 flash sale almost a week ago.

It is the Version 2 with the twin BA in the nozzle. I checked more than once to be absolutely sure.

Its not been burned in but first impression OOTB for a 15min listen is that these are not treble cannons. At least not to my ears. Played back on LG G6 (Quad DAC), using FLAC files.

Strange as it seems, but the impression I get here is that the overall balance of bass versus treble is more to my liking compared to Version 1 which I tried previously, though bass seems to be still a little heavier than my most preferred levels. Shall report again maybe over the weekend after I have given it a basic 24hr burn-in and running through my usual playlist. Meanwhile, it seems promising. :)
is it gray without mic?

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #22,724 of 63,966
Ahhh ha. But I thought T400s were for 4-5mm? I guess t500 must be 5-6?
If you go to Comply's website they have a chart matching each size to iEM's. Even if yours is not listed, you can see the different IEMs and match accordinly to what comes close to KZ model.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #22,725 of 63,966
So i'm listening to the KZ ZS6 for over an hour now right out of the box, no special EQ, no mods, nothing.
I was a bit sad to get them after reading all of the critics here.

I've been spending the last hour trying to understand how can such a gem get such bad impressions??!

They really do sound like they are a level above all my other in-ears, i don't need EQ to tame any harshness because there isn't any. The bass is there in quantity in bassy tracks, yet is there in accuracy when it isn't called for. i like the decay of the bass.

-Most natural,versatile and fun sounding KZs I've tried (i tried ZS5\modded ZS5\ ZS3\ZSE\ATR).
-Passed bass rumble test.
-Passed rap test (rappers don't sound like they're rapping into a telephone like on other iems).
-Passed metal and wild electric guitars test--->"alright ZS6, you must fail when they play this song live"--> Live song sounds great as well.
-Sounds good in classical music.

ZS6 > Modded ZS5 > ZS5 ~= ZS3 > ATR.

And yes, i cleaned my earwax before listening :grin:

I really hope KZ won't make any revisions to this model in the future!

Definitely glad yours sounded right! I think it's the bad cable some are shipping with because I'm not kidding, stock the thing was unlistenable. The treble was insanely hot. And I'm someone who defends the HD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back