Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 4, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #22,726 of 63,834
So i'm listening to the KZ ZS6 for over an hour now right out of the box, no special EQ, no mods, nothing.
I was a bit sad to get them after reading all of the critics here.

I've been spending the last hour trying to understand how can such a gem get such bad impressions??!

They really do sound like they are a level above all my other in-ears, i don't need EQ to tame any harshness because there isn't any. The bass is there in quantity in bassy tracks, yet is there in accuracy when it isn't called for. i like the decay of the bass.

-Most natural,versatile and fun sounding KZs I've tried (i tried ZS5\modded ZS5\ ZS3\ZSE\ATR).
-Passed bass rumble test.
-Passed rap test (rappers don't sound like they're rapping into a telephone like on other iems).
-Passed metal and wild electric guitars test--->"alright ZS6, you must fail when they play this song live"--> Live song sounds great as well.
-Sounds good in classical music.

ZS6 > Modded ZS5 > ZS5 ~= ZS3 > ATR.

And yes, i cleaned my earwax before listening :grin:

I really hope KZ won't make any revisions to this model in the future!

With the exception of that glue they really looked like they cleaned up the chassis:wink: I'm really liking what your reporting on them @Viber :beerchug:

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #22,727 of 63,834
I just listened to es3 over kz bluetooth and it works phenomenal. I think I was mislead before that it was only ok.
But 2 things. Accessport still sounded better on es3. And walnut v2 sounds bad with es3.

And I made an assumption that I think makes sense to comments about zs5 distortion at high volume.
As you increase dd size the risk for distortion grows. 10mm dd might be a limit before distion comes too easily.
But the bigger dd seems to make the sound much bigger. I could only imagine what goes on with planar iem.
I think I found a needle in the haystack that distorts es3, one song on left piece.

And the detachable two pin plugs are very difficult to insert. Good for secure fit.. But creates incentive to just get a second earphone instead.
It's more than likely there isn't enough room for the Diaphram to expand inside of chamber? Or that you are ovedriving them.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #22,728 of 63,834
Definitely glad yours sounded right! I think it's the bad cable some are shipping with because I'm not kidding, stock the thing was unlistenable. The treble was insanely hot. And I'm someone who defends the HD700.

That's weird, i'm very sensitive to treble and high-mids yet i cant seem to find a problem with the ZS6.
I tried many songs\tracks and the hottest treble i encountered with the ZS6 was in "Ace Of Base - The Sign" and even there - it was only annoying, it wasn't insufferable.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #22,729 of 63,834
That's weird, i'm very sensitive to treble and high-mids yet i cant seem to find a problem with the ZS6.
I tried many songs\tracks and the hottest treble i encountered with the ZS6 was in "Ace Of Base - The Sign" and even there - it was only annoying, it wasn't insufferable.

Like I said, methinks you just got a better stock cable. Mine were nigh-unlistenable and I rarely have an issue with some hot treble. They were the most sibilant headphones I'd ever tried.

A cable swap later and they're golden, so my current assessment is the ZS6 is fantastic, just some units shipped with a crap cable.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #22,730 of 63,834
I have not seen the insides of the KZ bluetooth cable, but I estimate there is a CSR chip and not only is aptx supported, I believe AAC is in there too.
Because even though my Vfree sounds bigger with bigger bass, the es3 has much better clarity going wirless using an ipad as source.
So the CSR chip must be doing pretty good with its own dac and amp built in.

I’ve posted photos of the chips. If you search for my KZ Bluetooth cable mod, you’ll find the post with pics.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #22,731 of 63,834
Like I said, methinks you just got a better stock cable. Mine were nigh-unlistenable and I rarely have an issue with some hot treble. They were the most sibilant headphones I'd ever tried.

A cable swap later and they're golden, so my current assessment is the ZS6 is fantastic, just some units shipped with a **** cable.
I`m wondering how that stock cable could turn ZS6 bright/harsh/sibilant ? Have You measured stock cable impedance and replacement cable? Maybe it is same case as with **** 4in1 which required higher impedance copper cable to sound not harsh in highs?
Anyway, interesting info, will keep my eye on ZS6 again and jump on flash deals.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #22,732 of 63,834

A cable swap later and they're golden, so my current assessment is the ZS6 is fantastic, just some units shipped with a **** cable.

Just a silly experiment you can try with that cable: hold down the button on the remote while you connect the ZS6 to your source, when music starts playing for the earphones stop pressing the button.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #22,733 of 63,834
Green ZS6 for $43 CAD at GB flash sale and GB points. Glad I canceled that Banggood order.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #22,734 of 63,834
Hi there, could you tell me if the sound leaks through the grille? Ordered my pair but they're still on the way :frowning2:
i haven't heard anyone say that the sound 'leaks through the grill. The drivers
Just took delivery of the ZS5 which I grabbed from Gearbest from the US$16.99 flash sale almost a week ago.

It is the Version 2 with the twin BA in the nozzle. I checked more than once to be absolutely sure.

Its not been burned in but first impression OOTB for a 15min listen is that these are not treble cannons. At least not to my ears. Played back on LG G6 (Quad DAC), using FLAC files.

Strange as it seems, but the impression I get here is that the overall balance of bass versus treble is more to my liking compared to Version 1 which I tried previously, though bass seems to be still a little heavier than my most preferred levels. Shall report again maybe over the weekend after I have given it a basic 24hr burn-in and running through my usual playlist. Meanwhile, it seems promising. :)
can you compare it to other iems in the under $100 price category.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #22,736 of 63,834
Green ZS6 for $43 CAD at GB flash sale and GB points. Glad I canceled that Banggood order.

Nice, wonder what kind of deals they are going to offer on the with the upcoming annual 11/11 sales:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #22,737 of 63,834
So i'm listening to the KZ ZS6 for over an hour now right out of the box, no special EQ, no mods, nothing.
I was a bit sad to get them after reading all of the critics here.

I've been spending the last hour trying to understand how can such a gem get such bad impressions??!

They really do sound like they are a level above all my other in-ears, i don't need EQ to tame any harshness because there isn't any. The bass is there in quantity in bassy tracks, yet is there in accuracy when it isn't called for. i like the decay of the bass.

-Most natural,versatile and fun sounding KZs I've tried (i tried ZS5\modded ZS5\ ZS3\ZSE\ATR).
-Passed bass rumble test.
-Passed rap test (rappers don't sound like they're rapping into a telephone like on other iems).
-Passed metal and wild electric guitars test--->"alright ZS6, you must fail when they play this song live"--> Live song sounds great as well.
-Sounds good in classical music.

ZS6 > Modded ZS5 > ZS5 ~= ZS3 > ATR.

And yes, i cleaned my earwax before listening :grin:

I really hope KZ won't make any revisions to this model in the future!
Your impressions on the zs6 was my highlight of the whole week lol. Based on all the negative impressions about harshness i was already regretting my purchase even before listening to them. I hope they sound as good to me as they do to you. How is the tonal balance on these? And please compare the bass, mids and treble to other iems that you own

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #22,738 of 63,834
5oflfp.jpg

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #22,739 of 63,834
It's in basic settings... second option (called probably "sound&vibrations")... right on the bottom (called probably "sound quality and effects"). I'm translating Czech language to English. That's why probably. I'm too lazy to change whole phone to English language.
Okay cool. Thanks

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #22,740 of 63,834
Awesomeness. Good to hear. :call_me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back