Increase the isolation on your silicone tips
Feb 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
I really can't take credit for this great idea, because I combined the ideas from two previous threads:

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...o-pics-383917/

(I can't find the other thread... it was about putting silicone sleeves over Shure olives... any help?)

This mod is really simple, and really effective:

1) Cut tip end off of a pair of earplugs with the same diameter as the inside of the silicone tip cup (or, preferably, just a little bit smaller). For single-flange tips, an easy way to check the diameter is to flip the sleeve inside-out, and place it on the earplug. If it fits well, use it.

2) Punch a hole in the middle of the earplug with a nail.

3) Stretch the hole out a bit, trying not to rip the foam material.

4) Stretch the earplug tip over the outer diameter of the sound tube of the silicone tip.

5) Wait for the earplug material to expand.

6) Flip the silicone sleeve back.

7) Put the silicone/earplug hybrid on your IEM.

When the material is fully expanded (you may need to work it out a bit), it should fill the inside of the silicone sleeve. In other words, all of that empty space between the inside of the sleeve wall and the outer diameter of the sound tube should now be filled with earplug material.

I'm currently using a set of Sony Hybrid tips with the material from some soft shooting earplugs. The isolation is fantastic!
biggrin.gif
The only downside is that the tip may now be slightly less comfortable, because there will be less give on the silicone sleeve walls against the inside of your ear. It's about the same comfort level as wearing the earplugs by themselves, though, and I think my ears can get used to that.

If anyone needs pics of what this looks like, let me know, and I can upload them later.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted a somewhat similar tutorial on "tip stuffing" a while back.

Oh, wow. And this wasn't even the second thread I was thinking about.

And yet I couldn't find this thread with tons of searching both here and in Google ("site:head-fi.org"). Oh well.

Anyway, it works well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back