Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 1, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #15,856 of 63,836
I have the colorful ZSTs and love them so far.

I want to try another KZ product with a different sound signature. Maybe something a little less bright, with less treble and slightly more bass.I am thinking ED10 or ZS3. I am leaning towards ED10s as they are cheap & have a traditional design (which I prefer). 

Does anyone has an experience with ED10? Or are there any other good alternatives?

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #15,857 of 63,836

I just want to know what ZST owners listen to.

Pretty much everything except typical pop-hits from music channels and radio that are heavily compressed and less detailed. I think I can call myself half-time melomaniac but most of my favourites are listed on my profile, check it.

...but if you like big soundstage, ...

Another thing I couldn`t say about ZST. It`s over average for sure but I can`t call it having big soundstage. Maybe fairly big would be more appropriate. They do have better "airiness" and reverb/decay than **** 4in1, a thing I found 4in1 lacking. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #15,858 of 63,836
Pretty much everything except typical pop-hits from music channels and radio that are heavily compressed and less detailed. I think I can call myself half-time melomaniac but most of my favourites are listed on my profile, check it.

Another thing I couldn`t say about ZST. It`s over average for sure but I can`t call it having big soundstage. Maybe fairly big would be more appropriate. They do have better "airiness" and reverb/decay than **** 4in1, a thing I found 4in1 lacking. 

I have spiral dot tips on mine. Maybe thats helping

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #15,859 of 63,836
I tried also spirals too but Auvio tips gave me best result. Though, I haven`t tried some tips out of my ~40 collection but from experience with tip-rolling I doubt it will improve with other tips I haven`t tried. Btw, I`m using spirals with 4in1 for best result.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #15,860 of 63,836
  I have the colorful ZSTs and love them so far.

I want to try another KZ product with a different sound signature. Maybe something a little less bright, with less treble and slightly more bass.I am thinking ED10 or ZS3. I am leaning towards ED10s as they are cheap & have a traditional design (which I prefer). 

Does anyone has an experience with ED10? Or are there any other good alternatives?

either be a good choice--ed10 has good overall clarity with big, impactful bass, though soundstage is not as large as zst or zs3. zs3 definitely has more bass and less treble extension/detail than the zst as well.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #15,861 of 63,836
ZST aren't bright. An isolated 10khz peak in the highs is not brightness, it is dreadful tuning. Nobody complained about their brightness if i am not mistaken.

To me they aren't worth the money, for what they cost me on 11//11 at reduced price I could buy myself today a backup pair of both LG Quadbeat 3 and HTC One M7 which would have been money much better spent.

Hopefully the Urbanfun HiFi I have on order will not prove a similar disappointing purchase.
rolleyes.gif

I bought a pair of the LG's following your recommendation, I wasn't that impressed to be frank.  Tuning on them is fairly neutral if that's your thing and they are a good looking well made pair of earphones but nothing awe inspiring other than the price. Maybe that seller has now switched to selling copies?

ZST are a bright headphone if you compare them to a Kinera for example, and they're certainly in the top 30% of 40 earphones I've listened to in the last few weeks. However, I was simply referencing the fact that Kokakolia said people were saying they were too bright.

You're right about peak at 10kHz and I think that's what @Coil is referring too as well, doesn't bother me too much though, a shade lower and it would have got right on my nerves though.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #15,862 of 63,836
I bought a pair of the LG's following your recommendation, I wasn't that impressed to be frank.  Tuning on them is fairly neutral if that's your thing and they are a good looking well made pair of earphones but nothing awe inspiring other than the price. Maybe that seller has now switched to selling copies

Give them a chance on a higher end setup after some burnin time, that's where they really shine IMO, on my old so so Sony DAP they are OK but nothing too special as the DAP is the bottleneck in sound quality. I don't think he sells copies but you never know, I bought 4 pairs in all and they are all OK. As for sound I think they are V-shaped but with strong bass that doesn't bleed much or at all and also rather bright but without sibilance.

If you've got another £4 to waste, you can try those HTC One M7: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271370870299?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. Same story as above but different tuning, strong bass too but a bit more mids and a bit less highs. To me they are both outstanding, especially for the peanuts they cost, considering that my much more expensive Fidelio S2 aren't delivering more quality on my best setup which is good.

I don't seek necessarily a neutral sound but rather something that sounds full with nothing too recessed in the spectrum. Of the KZ I have I like ED9 with brass nozzles the most .

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #15,863 of 63,836
Tried them with a Shanling M1 and my Cozoy Aegis/iPhone setup, I think both of these are pretty decent. It was the 'lack' of treble with the LGs - so I think the HTC will be more of the same.

I need my treble fix, but I also like a wide soundstage.

In other news I now have EDR2, HDS1, HDS3, ZS2, ED9 to 'review' along with ZN1 and QKZ DM200 on route from China. It's like going through a 'band you've just discovered's back catalogue

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #15,865 of 63,836
Tried them with a Shanling M1 and my Cozoy Aegis/iPhone setup, I think both of these are pretty decent. It was the 'lack' of treble with the LGs - so I think the HTC will be more of the same.

In a sense, although not lacking in treble overall IMO, the LG is the opposite of the ZST as it has a recessed 10khz band while it is boosted in the ZST, but than the LG has everything else the ZST hasn't, a no brainer for me to choose which is best really. :wink:

The HTC feels more like a ZS3 on steroids to me, bigger "soundstage" than the LG and fuller sounding than the ZS3. I only have them since earlier today though so it's just first impressions without actually comparing to other phones as they haven't left my ears since I got them.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #15,866 of 63,836

In other news I now have EDR2, HDS1, HDS3, ZS2, ED9 to 'review' along with ZN1 and QKZ DM200 on route from China. It's like going through a 'band you've just discovered's back catalogue

I am looking forward to it!

It's like you're doing your earnest to review everything but the ED7 haha.

To be perfectly honest, you may not like them. I could see why someone would find them dull. They lack the sparkle in the treble.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #15,867 of 63,836
In a sense, although not lacking in treble overall IMO, the LG is the opposite of the ZST as it has a recessed 10khz band while it is boosted in the ZST, but than the LG has everything else the ZST hasn't, a no brainer for me to choose which is best really.
wink.gif

The HTC feels more like a ZS3 on steroids to me, bigger "soundstage" than the LG and fuller sounding than the ZS3. I only have them since earlier today though so it's just first impressions without actually comparing to other phones as they haven't left my ears since I got them.

Can't comment on the LG, but I've had a pair of the HTC's for a year or so. They stay tucked away in the bag of iems I offer as gifts. No one wants them and neither do I. They're not bad, but they lack any sense of excitement. They're a dull listen to my ears. Build is kinda mediocre too. I'd take any the cheapo Kubite-001M and most KZ's over them any day.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #15,869 of 63,836
Can't comment on the LG, but I've had a pair of the HTC's for a year or so. They stay tucked away in the bag of iems I offer as gifts. No one wants them and neither do I. They're not bad, but they lack any sense of excitement. They're a dull listen to my ears. Build is kinda mediocre too. I'd take any the cheapo Kubite-001M and most KZ's over them any day.

There are lots of fake HTC out there and most don't sound good as far as I've been able to piece together, those I got today surely don't lack any sense of excitement and sound great. I agree that cable, mic and plug look a bit cheap, phones themselves seem much better quality however.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #15,870 of 63,836
There are lots of fake HTC out there and most don't sound good as far as I've been able to piece together, those I got today surely don't lack any sense of excitement and sound great. I agree that cable, mic and plug look a bit cheap, phones themselves seem much better quality however.

I doubt HTC is packing fakes in with their phones :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back