Klipsch X7i
Sep 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #16 of 71
Don't know if anyone caught in sharansnl's review, but the X7i has a BA driver, not dynamic.  That would account for the clear, balanced sound (pun intended).

Interesting that, given the rounder shape of the body (compared to the barrel shape of the X10i, which does not have BA driver).  Must be something about ceramic material that it works best with that type shape, similar to other ceramic body IEMs recently. (Meelec CC51P, etc.)

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 71
Quote:
Don't know if anyone caught in sharansnl's review, but the X7i has a BA driver, not dynamic.  That would account for the clear, balanced sound (pun intended).

Interesting that, given the rounder shape of the body (compared to the barrel shape of the X10i, which does not have BA driver).  Must be something about ceramic material that it works best with that type shape, similar to other ceramic body IEMs recently. (Meelec CC51P, etc.)

Both the X10i and the X7i use a single BA driver. I believe the drivers are slightly different, however.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #19 of 71
I have x10 and really love its sound..however, microphonics kind of overshadow what would be a real joy..even if the seal is perfect, have to turn the volume up, just to prevent the disturbing cable sounds...

I could not see a note about that in the review..so can we say that this is not an issue any more?

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #22 of 71
While I've not tried them, I was informed by Klipsch that they sound highly similar to the old Image X5 (similar to the X10 but less punch and bass).  They look great and I love the ceramic design!

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #24 of 71
Quote:
does the x7i have angled plug?  The x10i's straight plug is pretty atrocious... also is the x10i going to be discontinued?  Replacement soon ? :)

No, the X7i have a straight plug. It is simple logic. Most headphone jacks are on the bottom or top of the device. When they are place inside the pocket, the wire will go straight out of the pocket which means there will be no straight. If the plug was angled and the device was in the pocket, the wire would have to be bent to go out of the pocket.

That being said, we did take a poll on Facebook and angled plug did win, so we may change our plugs in the future.

Also, the X10i are NOT being discontinued. I do not know where people are getting this from!

Quote:
While I've not tried them, I was informed by Klipsch that they sound highly similar to the old Image X5 (similar to the X10 but less punch and bass).  They look great and I love the ceramic design!

That they do! Glad you like their looks. The hand-polished finish is spectacular in person.

Quote:
That's promising, just hope it has more treble than the X5. 

I think you will enjoy them quite a bit. Of course, I'm biased. :p

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #25 of 71
I think a slightly angled plug (j-plug) is the best compromise. Straight jacks are better in the pocket but angled plugs are better in the hand, these are a compromise between the two. I learned to appreciate this with the HF3. 

V-Moda's  take is nice.

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #26 of 71
Spent ages looking into this having had some S4i's for a while now after I sold my Shure SE535's (didn' like over the ear style and made my ears itch!). The S4i is the second best earphones I've had but do find bass a little too heavy and the mids/high obviously muffled compared to the SE535 (to be expected).

So very interested when Alex L mentioned the X7i but was also considering the X10/X10i mostly because I could get the X10 (without controls) for £119 from authorised dealer (must be clearing old stock). The cheapest for the X7i is £169.

Then on Friday I managed to see Amazon (themselves, not a reseller) were selling the last two X10i they had in stock at £149.99 so ordered it immediately and noticed price went back up to £189 about an hour later from a reseller.

So, ignoring the durability concerns of the X10/X10i (rubbers splitting) which to choose?

The X7i with newer cables and lovely design for £169 or X10i at £149??

Will be using only with my iPhone 5 with either 320kbps MP3's or 320Ogg via Spotify. Mostly listen to classical and soft female vocals so want clear mids, crystal highs with less but clear/punchy bass. These new ones are for pure listening pleasure at Home/work. Will still be using the S4i for active listening (Gym/outside etc.)

Wish I could audition both and then keep the one I prefer! 

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #28 of 71
I see your point about the straight plug.  In my personal experience though mine went kaput after spending a bit of time in my coat pocket, which of course is bigger than my phone so it was inside sideways.  Plus most of the time I have the headphones on it's usually anywhere but my pocket because I listen to music while using my smart phone for smart phone related stuff (otherwise i'd just have an ipod shuffle).  With something like the x10i it's much more likely that if it's tugged by force the IEM pops out of my ear than the strain relief having to take the brunt of it.  And I'm probably just strange but I feel like L plugs are easier to plug in and unplug.

I thought the x10i might be cancelled because Futureshop put it on clearance and now no longer carries it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back