Klipsch Image S4?
Jan 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #436 of 629
Not to change the subject a little, but I have been looking for a pair of IEMs and these seem like the perfect pair for me. However, I listen to a lot of hip hop. Does anyone who has a pair think these go well with hip hop? I should also mention that I like a good amount of bass.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #437 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We do?

It appears my movie reference has been lost on you.

It's from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. When the English main characters approach a castle, and let the French guards on top of the castle know they're seeking the Holy Grail, the French guards yell down from the roof (in their best French accents) "We've already got one!".

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #438 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to change the subject a little, but I have been looking for a pair of IEMs and these seem like the perfect pair for me. However, I listen to a lot of hip hop. Does anyone who has a pair think these go well with hip hop? I should also mention that I like a good amount of bass.

Well, I just put on a couple of Roots tracks (You Don't See Us, Dynamite!), my favorite Philly/Hip Hop band (although I wish they had never gone on the Jimmy Fallon show), and they sound very good, plenty of bass. No sibilance on my set, happy to report.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #439 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMorton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. When the English main characters approach a castle, and let the French guards on top of the castle know they're seeking the Holy Grail, the French guards yell down from the roof (in their best French accents) "We've already got one!".

Have to be careful with those movie references.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #441 of 629
Mintz, hip hop is one of the genres where the S4 is definitely worth the price of admission. If your source is decent, the S4 is a thumper after break in.

Yeah, old white guys with Motown roots can appreciate Unk and TI... some of it anyway.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #442 of 629
I would just be running them through my Ipod Classic (whichever the current version is) unamped. I'm either going to go with the S4's or the Turbines, but am leaning towards the S4's.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #443 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMorton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've seen my share of Monty Python, but it's been ages, and apparently my retention ability is not quite as encyclopedic as yours. Quite the gift there...

I'm just glad you weren't referring to the S4's as a holy grail... because perfect? Doubtful. Good value, yes.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #444 of 629
Just wanted to add my 2 cents into the forum.
The S4's were a decent IEM however when I had them they sounded really weak with vocals and guitars. I tried burning them in but that only improved the sound marginally. Decent for 80 dollars but they left me wanting more.

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #445 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting research. Not sure who claimed they offered "the entire sound stage in its full dynamic range" (CNET?), but most of the S4 fans hereabouts just think they are a very good value phone that benefit from burn-in. But your point is pretty much true of most gear - after some research, buy and try, then decide.

Also, seems moderate volume would be the best listening level for most people, so being good at moderate (or even low) volume is a plus, I think.

If you were underwhelmed, it could be because your mindset/expectations were too high. Personally, I find the S4s a very good IEM for the money, which is all you can ask. We've all read reviews and when we got the gear were disappointed (happened to me at least a dozen times with IEMs), but that's why we are all here in large part - to chase that Holy Grail of the perfect IEM.

Well put.

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #446 of 629
Hello everyone!

I just got my first pair of these headphones and I'm listening to them while writing this.
First I have to say that damn the bass is good! I'm not usually one for the real heavy bass but it sounds good now. I'll have to experiment with the different tips, but seems like the medium size gives me the best seal. With them I don't feel like they're about to fall out of my ears. It was a bit tricky to put them in properly, but I think I figured it out. This feature was one of the reasons I chose the Klipsch. I travel about 2 hours every day and I need isolation from the outside noise, while being able to hear my music without sound leaking out and to control the phone (got them for the iPhone 3GS).

I made a playlist with songs from every genre that I like, with songs I know. I've listened to them with the stock iPhone headphones and a Sennheiser HD 202 at home, so I can only compare the S4is to them. The bass dominates, but not so much that it's annoying. But it's not only the bass, I hear stuff that with other headphones just didn't come to the foreground. I'm gonna connect them to my laptop and let them burn-in at night for a few days, I'm hoping the overall sound will clear up a little bit.

Otherwise, the first impression is good. I can't think of any other earphones that offer this sound, isolation and functionlity with my phone for this price.

A question about the burn-in process, for the experts: should it be just pink/white noise, or heavy drums and other stuff too? Does it even matter if it's my own music or some generated noise?

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #447 of 629
Own music, pink/white noise. It's all good. But be sure, with the S4s, to turn it to about 3/4 so it's somewhat louder than listening levels. It works. And it should smooth out at 100 hours or so.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #450 of 629
Depends on the tip. With the gels, decent. With the Ety bi-flanges I use, excellent. I think the Ety bi-flange (made for the er6i) is the best tip for the S4s, but not everyone has a spare pair laying around. I did and tried them. Great match. Others say Comply/olives, which are foam (and probably also have better iso than the stocks gels).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back