Klipsch Image S4?
Jan 26, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #466 of 629
Thanks guys.... I have been scouring these forums for weeks trying to find the best IEMs my little bit of money can buy. I first visited the thread with all of the IEM reviews in it and I assumed the Meeelectronics A11 or whatever were the ones for me...but that was a no go. Everything I plugged those into I had to max the sound on...but on my second dip I saw all the enthusiasm for these S4s...and PRESTO...I am in heaven. It cost me alot to get here, but im finally happy with some IEMs. I love them out of the box actually and see no need for cooking them at all. I feel like im sitting in the studio while my music is being recorded. The soundstage is incredible.

disclaimer: I am a jazz musician(upright bassist) and not really an audiophile by any means.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #468 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by funndamentals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys.... I have been scouring these forums for weeks trying to find the best IEMs my little bit of money can buy. I first visited the thread with all of the IEM reviews in it and I assumed the Meeelectronics A11 or whatever were the ones for me...but that was a no go. Everything I plugged those into I had to max the sound on...but on my second dip I saw all the enthusiasm for these S4s...and PRESTO...I am in heaven. It cost me alot to get here, but im finally happy with some IEMs. I love them out of the box actually and see no need for cooking them at all. I feel like im sitting in the studio while my music is being recorded. The soundstage is incredible.

disclaimer: I am a jazz musician(upright bassist) and not really an audiophile by any means.

First of all, welcome to Head-Fi... you are embarking on an often frustrating journey of upgraditis, but it's great to see that you've landed on an IEM which you are enjoying. It's a heck of an earphone for the price. Even though you don't plan to burn them in specifically, they will open up once they have some hours on them. So hopefully you'll wind up liking them even more. They get much bigger sounding with amplification too, should you ever want to start exploring that route

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #469 of 629
All right! I just received mine. So far so good, but I will wait a couple days before I do my review...

One thing has deceived me though, but it's not about the IEMs... I discovered my right canal doesn't go straight into my head, but rather goes more into the forehead. I get an excellent seal with the small tip on the left side but not on the right...

I'll try wearing it over the ear and see it it is better...

EDIT: I read it again and it doesn't seem super clear... lets just say it's angled...

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #470 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanturkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ it seems like a viable alternative are the comply foam tips. just search comply tips on amazon and you should get the results you want. make sure they're the t100 size.

I'm using the Tx-100 ear tips from Comply on my Image S4i. I like them because unlike the oval ear tips provided by Klipsch, they don't fall out of my ears easily and I get a really nice seal for good noise isolation and really nice bass.
smile_phones.gif
I'm thinking about getting the Etymotic mc3 headset when that comes out in February.
happy_face1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #471 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by funndamentals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The soundstage is incredible.

The soundstage is what originally hooked me on these. I've been a cheerleader for them since July 09. And if you hang around this place long enough, you will reach a level of audiophilia that is comfortable for you... probably. Your wallet will feel it, though. My wallet has sutures after 13 months and I run to the mailbox before my wife can get the mail most days.

Good stuff.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #472 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewis82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I discovered my right canal doesn't go straight into my head, but rather goes more into the forehead.

Go to a doctor immediately?!?

Some people have non-standard ears... maybe the foam complys will work better for you.

Also, as everyone has heard a million times, the klipsch caps are oval (as are your ear canals), so align them correctly.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #473 of 629
I mean... It doesn't *go* into the forehead...

It's not straight. If you are in front of my ear, it angles on the right for a bit and then goes straight. That's it. But I don't need to see a doctor... My father has the same problem on both ears and doctors can do nothing.

Wearing it over the ear seems to be the solution, however it hurts a little on the inside of the canal. But I'll see it it stops...

If it doesn't I will try Complies or olives...

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #475 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by Francisco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should show us a photo of it.

Heck, no! What does the inside of his ear have to do with this S4 thread?

My right ear canal angles a little, too. After you "seat" the IEM, just angle it a little to get it "perfect." That's what I do. If you take any pics of the canal, send it to Francisco by PM...
eek.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #476 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried both and think both have their strong points. The S4 has a much more dominant bass impact & "fun" sound, but the custom series are quicker, much more controlled & have better instrument separation. If I'm feeling critical, I'll go for the customs; if I want to slam my ears w/ bass, I'll pickup the S4's. I like both!

I see. Your impressions are a little different than mine. I found the Custom 2s, in particular, to have the better instrument separation as you did, but I didn't find them to be more detailed and their highs seemed "wrong" to me. The highs on the s4 really gave them my nod, as they didn't seem nearly as splashy to my ears. The cymbals were a dead giveaway, in my opinion. They're definitely bassy, though. With that, I'll agree.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #477 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heck, no! What does the inside of his ear have to do with this S4 thread?

My right ear canal angles a little, too. After you "seat" the IEM, just angle it a little to get it "perfect." That's what I do. If you take any pics of the canal, send it to Francisco by PM...
eek.gif

Well I tried every size and every angle I could imagine but I couldn't stand it.

On the left ear I barely felt it but the right ear was only pain and poor sound. The isolation wasn't good at all.

What I heard on the left ear, however, was to my non audiophile ears excellent. The bass was just right: powerful yet not overwhelming, even on the bassiest songs (In the name of God by Dream Theater, Sun Gate by Tangerine Dream, for example). Highs were good too, but they seemed less present than on my Sony Fontopia (which are really cheap earphones). However this may be due to the fact that bass was mostly absent...

I guess I won't be coming here again because no IEMs will ever fit me... Not even customs I guess. I just sold my S4s.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #478 of 629
I just picked up an S4i I few hours ago, and wow, so far, I think these may be a keeper
smily_headphones1.gif

I've only listened to them for about an hour (currently burning them in), but my first impression was how "lively" they sounded... I did not notice any extra sibilance or harsh treble, especially not like I did with the cheaper JBuds J3M ($30) I recently tried. Those were literally painful to listen to, even after 50+ hours of burn in...

To anyone else with an S4i, I am curious, how are you finding the quality of the mic to be? I only briefly tested it with voice memos on my iPhone, and there seemed to be a constant fuzzy background noise whenever I listened to my recordings... The recordings from my cheaper JBuds J3M appear to be much clearer, but I still need to go back and do some more testing with it.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #479 of 629
Just got these phones. I may be a IEM newb, but I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here about how dramatically different the sound signature is with minute differences in position. A millimeter deeper in my ears and the sound transforms from fairly-well balanced (a bit strong in the mids), to massively tubby and bassy and uselessly dark.

When I first put them in, I almost immediately threw them in the garbage. Glad I played around a bit more...

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #480 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by seniordingdong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got these phones. I may be a IEM newb, but I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here about how dramatically different the sound signature is with minute differences in position. A millimeter deeper in my ears and the sound transforms from fairly-well balanced (a bit strong in the mids), to massively tubby and bassy and uselessly dark.

When I first put them in, I almost immediately threw them in the garbage. Glad I played around a bit more...

Tips and fit are very important for pretty much all IEMS. Most people who have owned multiple pairs know this, but I'm glad you realized it and didn't throw them out
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back