KG CFA3 headphone amp
Oct 1, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,171 of 1,794
That will unfortunately prove to be difficult...power supply aint the same size as the amp
20220930_211305.jpg

In any case, this amp is fantastic, and drives both the susvara and 1266 pretty effortlessly.
Heddphone is worth mentioning too, best I've heard it sound thus far
It's not difficult. There's plenty of room on the sides of the amp to place 4 nice cylindrical supports under the amp and slide the PS right underneath. Here & here are just a couple of examples.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #1,172 of 1,794
It's not difficult. There's plenty of room on the sides of the amp to place 4 nice cylindrical supports under the amp and slide the PS right underneath. Here & here are just a couple of examples.
Yep. Or you can get a monitor riser and use it as a small shelf between the PSU and amp.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #1,173 of 1,794
Yep. Or you can get a monitor riser and use it as a small shelf between the PSU and amp.
This is an even easier and more simple solution.
Here is a nice example for a very, very reasonable price provided the feet under the amp are less than the the width and depth of the stand base and will rest fully on the base. I'd assume the PS isn't any higher than the max max height of 5.5".

Oct 9, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,175 of 1,794
Oct 9, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #1,176 of 1,794
having the same thought for a month now, but waiting till price on used market drops. Basically SR1a + speaker interface sells used for $2100-2600 but the few times the new interface listed already were for 2900-3000. I understand price for new units is the same or roughly, so on the used market they should drop as well next year. Please correct me if I say some nonsense

Oct 9, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #1,177 of 1,794
@jlbrach might be using the new interface.
I am indeed, I use both the HSA-1b and the CFA3 with the interface...very different presentations..the CFA3 extends a wider soundstage and if a bit softer sounding...that has to be from the interface box because the CFA3 sure isnt soft sounding....the HSA-1B is leaner sounding and a bit more detailed to my ears....the problem with the interface box is it really requires tons of volume to get to listening levels but otherwise it is a great option..the CA-1A is easier to drive than the SR-1A and doesnt have quite the same volume issue..hope that helps

Oct 9, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #1,178 of 1,794
I am indeed, I use both the HSA-1b and the CFA3 with the interface...very different presentations..the CFA3 extends a wider soundstage and if a bit softer sounding...that has to be from the interface box because the CFA3 sure isnt soft sounding....the HSA-1B is leaner sounding and a bit more detailed to my ears....the problem with the interface box is it really requires tons of volume to get to listening levels but otherwise it is a great option..the CA-1A is easier to drive than the SR-1A and doesnt have quite the same volume issue..hope that helps
Very helpful, thanks as always. Not sure if you’ve tried the jot R but do you think the CFA3 with the Ti-1b is a big upgrade, or a toss up? I’m not surprised the hsa-1b is probably the best, but given my system is built around the TC I’m trying to keep the cost down. The package I’m getting includes the jot R

Oct 9, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #1,179 of 1,794
Very helpful, thanks as always. Not sure if you’ve tried the jot R but do you think the CFA3 with the Ti-1b is a big upgrade, or a toss up? I’m not surprised the hsa-1b is probably the best, but given my system is built around the TC I’m trying to keep the cost down. The package I’m getting includes the jot R
I did not like the Jotr...still have it but never use it...perfectly good but a bit harsh sounding to my ears..the other options are far better

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #1,181 of 1,794
I did not like the Jotr...still have it but never use it...perfectly good but a bit harsh sounding to my ears..the other options are far better
@genefruit you have any thoughts?

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #1,182 of 1,794
@genefruit you have any thoughts?
I had the CA-1A with the TI-1a interface that I used with my CFA3. If memory serves, the CA-1A needed approximately the same amount of gain (within 1db or so) as the Susvara for the same db. Plenty of headroom in my use case and didn't leave me wondering if I was getting the best out of the CA-1A. Ultimately they went to the market, as I wasn't reaching for them very often and hoarding headphones isn't my end game.

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,183 of 1,794
Calling all CFA owners: anyone tried theirs with raal’s new interface? I’m debating whether to dip back into the sr1a and would love to use my CFA made by dukei :)

https://raalrequisite.com/product/ti-1b/
Yes I have both TI-1b and the old interface box with my CFA3. Please note that if you use SR1a with TI-1b you will need to apply the open baffle compensation, either through using the barrels from Raal or software EQ. Having said that, I still prefer the sound using the old interface box (I have speaker taps on my CFA3). I think it’s because of the headphone cable. I”m using DHC C15 S-Mod with SR1a on the old interface box, whereas I can only use the standard cable that comes along with CA1a on the TI-1b (the DHC cable doesn’t sound good on TI-1b due to the parameter mismatch).

The difference is not that much though, but with the old interface box + DHC cable, I feel the sound is more controlled, and instrument separation is better. I have the Star-8 cable on order, and will try that with SR1a + TI-1b combo. I hope the Star-8 will bring the necessary improvement to SR1a + TI-1b combo so I can just tuck away the old interface box.

Oct 9, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #1,184 of 1,794
I have been using my CFA3 with a TI-1a interface box. I also have an old resistor interface box and a HSA-1b. I've been meaning to do a thorough comparison, but haven't yet gotten a chance. I can say that the CFA3 + TI-1a sounds great. However, a few times I have been convinced it sounds better than that HSA-1b, but then I switched over the HSA-1b and find myself surprised it sounds so good. Also (and please forgive me if my terminology is off), the CFA3 seems to have more dynamic range, but in a way that isn't necessarily good. I have one particular track I use to test dynamic range, and the quietest passages are detectable on the CFA3, but I have to crank up the volume past my normal comfortable listening level to make them out clearly. The HSA-1b, on the other hand, seems to compress the loudest and quietest passages into a narrower range, the result being that I can hear the quietest passages more easily with the HSA-1b without cranking the volume.

Slightly off topic, but, as @jlbrach and I discussed over a few posts, our CFA3s behave a bit differently, as I never get past 9 o'clock on mine when using the TI-1a interface (and that's on low gain). I also prefer to keep the volume lower than most people, though.

Oct 9, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,185 of 1,794
I had the CA-1A with the TI-1a interface that I used with my CFA3. If memory serves, the CA-1A needed approximately the same amount of gain (within 1db or so) as the Susvara for the same db. Plenty of headroom in my use case and didn't leave me wondering if I was getting the best out of the CA-1A. Ultimately they went to the market, as I wasn't reaching for them very often and hoarding headphones isn't my end game.
about right with the ca-1a but not the sr1a which requires far more gain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back