KG CFA3 headphone amp
Sep 23, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,156 of 1,794
Just another little post to say that I'm so, so happy with my @Dukei CFA3.

It's an incredible amplifier, and works so well with the dCS as a front-end.

(I've just listed my Enleum, which — while very, very good — I no longer need. Thanks for the encouragement, all! And a special nod to @paradoxper for the final push.)
Welcome to the club! It’s nice to see more and more people are able to enjoy & experience this incredible amp. I also hope that Eksonic‘s CFA3 will be in production soon.

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #1,157 of 1,794
Welcome to the club! It’s nice to see more and more people are able to enjoy & experience this incredible amp. I also hope that Eksonic‘s CFA3 will be in production soon.
Nods. Thanks to Kevin Gilmore.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #1,158 of 1,794
Just received a CFA3, have a few questions.

Based on what I'm seeing in pictures here theres no issue with stacking the PSU on top of it, right?

Any reccomendation for Tube pre's for this?

(I have a freya, but I'm sure there are far better units).

And this is likely a dumb question, but is there any downside to using RCA vs XLR to connect my other components to this amp?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #1,159 of 1,794
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #1,161 of 1,794
I can't speak to how it sounds yet as it is still being made, but I have this pre on order: http://supratekaudio.blogspot.com/2020/02/dht-or-6sn7-cabernet-preampor-both.html

@paradoxper has a similar Supratek pre with his CFA3 and seems to like it.
Very interesting - so you can opt between 6SN7 or 300B/2A3/45. Didn’t know that was a thing. I’ve been toying between the Envy and the the Supratek DHT but this is really interesting. I’ve got a Pope 6SN7 in my Studio Six and it’s fantastic. Imagine how much money you could spend tube rolling!

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #1,162 of 1,794
I can't speak to how it sounds yet as it is still being made, but I have this pre on order: http://supratekaudio.blogspot.com/2020/02/dht-or-6sn7-cabernet-preampor-both.html

@paradoxper has a similar Supratek pre with his CFA3 and seems to like it.
The only two I recommend are Cabernet or Neo Classic. You could consider a tube DAC although with much more limited selection.

With Freya, pair the MELZ 1578 with a VT-231 or RCA grey glass for something pretty stellar.

And if you opt up, Elrogs are a must for the 300B. The EML Globe 45 mesh Anniversary is also very special.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #1,163 of 1,794
Very interesting - so you can opt between 6SN7 or 300B/2A3/45. Didn’t know that was a thing. I’ve been toying between the Envy and the the Supratek DHT but this is really interesting. I’ve got a Pope 6SN7 in my Studio Six and it’s fantastic. Imagine how much money you could spend tube rolling!
Yep, I'm really excited about it. Except for being bled dry tube rolling. Also, both circuits are powered simultaneously and you need to keep tubes in both at all times, including the one you're not listening to, so some burner tubes may be in order. A cool thing, though, is that Mick, the builder, is installing a headphone out on the DHT circuit for me, so I can use it as an integrated 300B amp to direct drive 300ohm headphones.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #1,164 of 1,794
Yep, I'm really excited about it. Except for being bled dry tube rolling. Also, both circuits are powered simultaneously and you need to keep tubes in both at all times, including the one you're not listening to, so some burner tubes may be in order. A cool thing, though, is that Mick, the builder, is installing a headphone out on the DHT circuit for me, so I can use it as an integrated 300B amp to direct drive 300ohm headphones.
Now that’s even more interesting…. Very interested in how this turns out for you.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #1,165 of 1,794
Aha! Just like the Manley. Do let us know how it goes.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,166 of 1,794
Just received a CFA3, have a few questions.

Based on what I'm seeing in pictures here theres no issue with stacking the PSU on top of it, right?

Any reccomendation for Tube pre's for this?

(I have a freya, but I'm sure there are far better units).

And this is likely a dumb question, but is there any downside to using RCA vs XLR to connect my other components to this amp?

If you’re going to stack (I am for now, but will separate them eventually) I would put the amp on the top, not the PSU. My PSU runs cool, but the amp puts out a lovely glow — give it some space on top.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #1,168 of 1,794
Definitely
That will unfortunately prove to be difficult...power supply aint the same size as the amp
20220930_211305.jpg

In any case, this amp is fantastic, and drives both the susvara and 1266 pretty effortlessly.
Heddphone is worth mentioning too, best I've heard it sound thus far

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back