Kenwood KH-K1000
Aug 5, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #106 of 308
Wow, these cans seem to have a pretty big following now. I was considering these a while back when they were first released here but I decided against them because they were not very neutral. I don't own them so I can't really write with any great authority but listening to them in the shop for a long time has given me the impression that these are way too deep in the bass region. They are spacious and really comfortable and I guess they would do for more non-critical type listening. The first time I tried these on, I instantly noticed the deep and artificial bass. Its like its got some bass boost circuit in them or something. I am used to listening to STAX SR303s so most cans sound bassy to me, but these were probably the bassiest in the whole shop, even more than the Denon D5000s. BTW, the shop I go to is in Tokyo and they have jsut about every model of high end phone on display to try in little booths, each amped and connected to a high end Marantz CD player. I have listened to almost all of the cans there and the Kenwoods were near the top of the pile but they are rather pricey.

The tops of the Kenwoods are clean but they are a bit sharp. The mids are maybe a little recessed. The soundstage is very wide and "airy" but that detracts from being able to hear the smaller details. They don't approach STAX level of clarity or openness but its not bad for a dynamic phone. I remember that these were not very smooth but rather lively and quite tiring to listen too. I got the impression that these were not really balanced and neutral but more tailored for a "pop" type sound which would impress instantly but would in the end be fatiguing.

My bottom line is that these are competent but for the price I think better could be had. Very lively and "in your face" but will probably get tiring after a while.
Of course, I don't own these and so you should take the above comments with a pinch of salt as it were. The source, amp or whatever might not have been optimal in the shop so don't believe everything I say
wink.gif

One thing is certain though, these things have too much bass and it sounds artificial. No amp/source can possibly have so much of an effect as to make these sound so bassy. It is at least crisp-ish bass so bass heads will probably like these
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #107 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumo-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, these cans seem to have a pretty big following now. I was considering these a while back when they were first released here but I decided against them because they were not very neutral. I don't own them so I can't really write with any great authority but listening to them in the shop for a long time has given me the impression that these are way too deep in the bass region. They are spacious and really comfortable and I guess they would do for more non-critical type listening. The first time I tried these on, I instantly noticed the deep and artificial bass. Its like its got some bass boost circuit in them or something. I am used to listening to STAX SR303s so most cans sound bassy to me, but these were probably the bassiest in the whole shop, even more than the Denon D5000s. BTW, the shop I go to is in Tokyo and they have jsut about every model of high end phone on display to try in little booths, each amped and connected to a high end Marantz CD player. I have listened to almost all of the cans there and the Kenwoods were near the top of the pile but they are rather pricey.

The tops of the Kenwoods are clean but they are a bit sharp. The mids are maybe a little recessed. The soundstage is very wide and "airy" but that detracts from being able to hear the smaller details. They don't approach STAX level of clarity or openness but its not bad for a dynamic phone. I remember that these were not very smooth but rather lively and quite tiring to listen too. I got the impression that these were not really balanced and neutral but more tailored for a "pop" type sound which would impress instantly but would in the end be fatiguing.

My bottom line is that these are competent but for the price I think better could be had. Very lively and "in your face" but will probably get tiring after a while.
Of course, I don't own these and so you should take the above comments with a pinch of salt as it were. The source, amp or whatever might not have been optimal in the shop so don't believe everything I say
wink.gif

One thing is certain though, these things have too much bass and it sounds artificial. No amp/source can possibly have so much of an effect as to make these sound so bassy. It is at least crisp-ish bass so bass heads will probably like these
wink.gif

Sounds like a high-end DT770, with a splice of Grado. Maybe a hybrid - let's call it the RS-770.
wink.gif

There also seems to be a large following, because people are generously curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #109 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumo-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

Nice to see some more impressions. Thanks.
I largely agree with your findings. I think though that the pair you listened to might have needed a bit more burn-in. Mine settled very nicely after a few days. The bass is tighter and the highs are definitely not screetchy. Still a lot of bass though, no question about that. I also find them to be (after a lot of head-time) not fatiguing at all. I definitely agree with the rest of your comments.
And I still rather like them a lot.
atsmile.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #110 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm..... very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more reviews. Kees, have you heard the DT 150's? If so how do these compare?

I must say I never heard the DT150.

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #111 of 308
I listened to them *briefly* in Japan and liked what they did, but of course I LOVED what the RS-1 did so I don't remember much else too well
tongue.gif

For the same money I'm tempted to say the ESW9 is better, but then again the Kenwoods are full size and my memory isn't clear. (Also, both are around $200 in Japan now.)

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #112 of 308
$200 for the K1000s in japan? Dang it might be worth it to ask my friend in Japan to send me the K1000s.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #113 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine have shipped - hope to get them in 10 days or so. Glad i got them before the price went up
biggrin.gif

Same here.

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #114 of 308
While waiting for my K1000 to arrive, I re-visited the ebay site to read the specs again, and noticed this important fact!

Quote from ad:
Port where low region playing wide cooking stove is achieved
To reproduce a low region with the expansion richly, the port has been optimized.

Whoa!
If anybody was undecided about buying a pair of these, this should make you grab your wallet and make it cry!
eek.gif

Gotta love these translations....
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #115 of 308
i was considering buying this, but couldn't find a lot of information on them, everything I read was good, but it wasn't this detailed, now I'm definitely ordering a pair

what I'm afraid of is, hating my D2000's, which I hold as the best quality headphones i've ever heard (vs basically anything my dealer had, except maybe the GS1000's, but the Denon's won on comfort and price)

and now i'm reading that the KH-K1000's are gonna come in, and be like, WHO'S YOUR DADDY, and my denon's will go up on a shelf and be forgotten (
frown.gif
)

now, one question I have, on that self adjusting head-band thing, can you still hang them for storage, from the metal hoop, or the headband, or whatever?

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #116 of 308
Mine came today - WOW! Fast shipping. Will be breaking them in before any real impressions, but a quick listen was definitely favorable
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #117 of 308
Sweet! Can't wait to read your initial impressions Skylab

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #118 of 308
i too, specially with fast music...
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet! Can't wait to read your initial impressions Skylab

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #119 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While waiting for my K1000 to arrive, I re-visited the ebay site to read the specs again, and noticed this important fact!

Quote from ad:
Port where low region playing wide cooking stove is achieved
To reproduce a low region with the expansion richly, the port has been optimized.

Whoa!
If anybody was undecided about buying a pair of these, this should make you grab your wallet and make it cry!
eek.gif

Gotta love these translations....
biggrin.gif

I've always wanted to cook with my headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #120 of 308
**twiddling thumbs** still waiting Skylab.....

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back