Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 28, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #8,131 of 10,023
I kept both the Rögnir (bass tuned modded by JM) and the VC. I think they are different enough and complement each other to warrant keeping both but no disagreement that the Rögnir wins the closed back duel on the technical performance front. But the VC paired with a Schiit Folkvangr is a thing of beauty. That said, someone please buy my Wodans before my wife notices how many headphones I own.
What did you think of it before/after the bass tuned mod?

I've been switching between the VC and the rognir lately as well. Quite like both sets of headphones. My rognir are stock tho.

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #8,132 of 10,023
In what ways do you like the Rognir better than the VC?

I felt the Rognir (bass tuned) had better imaging, separation and detail than the VC. Granted, the VC had more bass given the fact its a dynamic driver rather than a planar. I ran the Rognir on both a SS and tube amp, and it does surprisingly well when paired with a tube amp, just like a VC.

Soundstage was comparable, with the Rognir edging out the VC just by a bit. To me, listening to music with the Rognir, I felt I was more absorbed in the music than I was with the VC. Plus, the Rognir also has beautiful wood cups too :) It got me hooked to the planar sound to be honest.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #8,133 of 10,023
What did you think of it before/after the bass tuned mod?

I've been switching between the VC and the rognir lately as well. Quite like both sets of headphones. My rognir are stock tho.
After the mod, the bass is fuller w/o losing the tight control the Rögnir is known for. The increased dampening gives the impression of listening in an anechoic chamber so the sense of the recording room is more palpable against a very black background. Treble seemed a bit more smooth without losing extension. Mids and sonic illusion of distance from the stage per track remained unchanged post mod.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #8,134 of 10,023
The Rognir and ZMF VC are very different headphones. ZMF VC's sound just wasn't for me. As much as I tried to like them I just couldn't enjoy them. I completely understand why people love them cause they are technically brilliant and look incredible but just didn't work for me. But hey, ever person's ears are different.

The Rognir had a larger sound stage, more speed, fast and more powerful bass with, high levels of detail, and higher accuracy over the VC. The Rognir is king when it comes to EDM, Rock, dub step, basically anything with great bass.

The VC was more natural sounding with a more natural bass roll off. The VC worked better with female vocals and acoustic guitar based music. Also a little more natural sounding in orchestral music though the Rognir did a better job of instrument placement and separation.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #8,136 of 10,023
Check out this lovely new Magni Kennerton made.

Attachments

• Magni-Karelian-Birch-Stabilized-5.jpg
    Magni-Karelian-Birch-Stabilized-5.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #8,140 of 10,023
when will the promo end, any specific time, how many hours or days
It also appears to be cycling through all the headphones. I don't know if it will be done once it goes through all the headphones or if it will eventually repeat sales. Since the euro dropped in in value compared to the USD its on sale for USA people. You would have to check how the Euro is doing compared to your own countries currency to see if it is also a deal buying it right now. So it is kinda a combo deal with the low value of the euro and the sale going on.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #8,141 of 10,023
I felt the Rognir (bass tuned) had better imaging, separation and detail than the VC. Granted, the VC had more bass given the fact its a dynamic driver rather than a planar. I ran the Rognir on both a SS and tube amp, and it does surprisingly well when paired with a tube amp, just like a VC.

Soundstage was comparable, with the Rognir edging out the VC just by a bit. To me, listening to music with the Rognir, I felt I was more absorbed in the music than I was with the VC. Plus, the Rognir also has beautiful wood cups too :) It got me hooked to the planar sound to be honest.
I love the way the Rognir sounds on the Bottlehead Mainline. I actually prefer it on the Mainline over my Master 9 Class A amp. Though that could just be my person bias since I love all things tube amps.

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #8,144 of 10,023

Users who are viewing this thread

Back