Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 3, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #8,161 of 10,035
Hey everyone! I just wanted to post to say that @John Massaria upgraded my GH 50's to version 2 and man these are amazing. I'm absolutely in love with these and now have no future plans to purchase any further closed back headphones.
They are the best dynamic driver closed backs I've heard.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #8,163 of 10,035
Sounds good on a Mojo 2. Easy to drive and manageable impedance so it doesn’t need a lot of power.
I agree with this... But the Rognir loves a powerful system too. It is so versatile!

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #8,165 of 10,035
Hello everyone!
Because of the often questions on the GH-50 mods and availabilities, I wanted to clarify:
By the way, all new GH50s are JM mk1 modded.
Yes, that is correct. The GH-50s that we craft nowadays for the stock are all JM mk.1 mods (called Gjallarhorn JM Edition on the official website), because the mod turned to be way more popular than the original.

2. The GH-50 JM mk.2 is indeed available ONLY through @John Massaria

3. Kennerton GH-50 Gjallarhorn original are available for the order from official Kennerton website! You can order the those, however keep in mind that we will need a couple days to change/unmod though

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #8,166 of 10,035
Screenshot_20220804-140735.png

Screenshot_20220804-140751.png

Images of new Purple Heart wood on Kenneraton 's Facebook page.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #8,168 of 10,035
Hi guys, new here in the Kennerton thread!

Currently own the VC in ltd camphor burl, love the sound and build however my neck isn't built for such weight lol so I'm planning on selling/trading!

Im looking for a kennerton that sounds as balanced as the vc, without the upper mid dip of the VC.

I would say the vc has a U shape signature, which i quite like as there is enough bass to satisfy and details.

Looking for more of a closed back (gh50 jm, gh40, rognir dynamic) but am a little lost based on the very limited reviews, but may consider open backs.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated:)

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #8,169 of 10,035
Hi guys, new here in the Kennerton thread!

Currently own the VC in ltd camphor burl, love the sound and build however my neck isn't built for such weight lol so I'm planning on selling/trading!

Im looking for a kennerton that sounds as balanced as the vc, without the upper mid dip of the VC.

I would say the vc has a U shape signature, which i quite like as there is enough bass to satisfy and details.

Looking for more of a closed back (gh50 jm, gh40, rognir dynamic) but am a little lost based on the very limited reviews, but may consider open backs.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated:)
Hello, @Nerfkevin !

How much weight are VC’s?
Please note that Rognir Planar could be around 430-450 grams easily, especially models having stabilized wood cups.

If you like bass both in terms quality and quantity be sure to use non perforated pads.

As for overall rating to simplify in closed backs Rognir Planar > Rognir Dynamic > GH.
Mods from JM noticeably improve sound but also change tuning a bit.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #8,174 of 10,035
Out of curiosity for anyone with both the GH 50 and Rognir, how do they compare in terms of sound, soundstage, etc.
Pretty simple, actually. The Gjallarhorn GH50 JM and JM2 Editions don't have the resolution of the Rognir Planar. The Rognir doesn't have the bass of the GH50. The real reason why is in driver technology. The GH50 uses a graphene-laminated mylar dynamic driver with horn loading. This makes for warmth, fullness, dynamics, and bass. It also gives a smaller, more intimate soundstage. The Rognir uses a planar magnetic driver that uses a much lighter diaphragm and makes for a faster, more detailed, more spacious, more transparent sound with a considerably bigger soundstage. The difference is pretty dramatic so it is pretty easy to decide which presentation is more to your taste.

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #8,175 of 10,035
Pretty simple, actually. The Gjallarhorn GH50 JM and JM2 Editions don't have the resolution of the Rognir Planar. The Rognir doesn't have the bass of the GH50. The real reason why is in driver technology. The GH50 uses a graphene-laminated mylar dynamic driver with horn loading. This makes for warmth, fullness, dynamics, and bass. It also gives a smaller, more intimate soundstage. The Rognir uses a planar magnetic driver that uses a much lighter diaphragm and makes for a faster, more detailed, more spacious, more transparent sound with a considerably bigger soundstage. The difference is pretty dramatic so it is pretty easy to decide which presentation is more to your taste.
Interesting as I already find the MK2's to have a ridiculously wide soundstage (damn near the same width as the HD 800s when I owned it). The Rognir really has an even WIDER stage? I find that hard to imagine lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back