Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 22, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #6,061 of 10,024
Never enough time .... More Music to enjoy
1of 8 Playlists Each with 100 songs preciously chosen for a reason!
headphoneplaylist8.jpg

Sep 22, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #6,062 of 10,024
I will be able to comment on FA-22 pairing by end of this week.
My Rögnir arrived today and while the cost did sting I take some comfort in the fact that I ordered late last week just under the wire of the price increase. I must say I knew it was going to be detailed and wide (for a closed back) from other comments but based on first one to two hours of listening this thing has epic detail (to my ears). I thought the Wodan was fast and detailed but this is beyond that. And I dare say on some tracks it seems wider than the Wodan.

Thoughts on pairing with the Flux FA-22—manufacturer describes the 22 as their fast and slightly warm amp (and I concur) and thus it complements the Rognir’s speed very well. I find the FA-22 to be very transparent so character of the HP and DAC come through. I’ve never heard strings, brass, flute, and percussion in general sound better (test tracks were Moanin’ by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Tamacún by Rodrigo y Gabriela, Breathless by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Sleepless by Red Snapper, 10,000 Years by High on Fire, Ratamahatta by Sepultura, and Machine Gun by Band of Gypsys). The FA-22 is sourced from a Qutest and I will say I thought about reaching for the filter button to move the Qutest off the incisive filter on Machine Gun as the highs were very “crispy” and intense. The FA-22 is not going to smooth over the treble response of the Rögnir so for a very few bright recordings I may need to use the Tor Audio tube amp. But the detail and speed of the Rögnir and the Flux is something to hear. Regarding power, I don’t listen very loudly and was getting good volume and body of sound with the Rögnir on low gain at 12 o’clock on the dial.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #6,063 of 10,024
Do you only look (daily / hourly) at the Rögnir? That might be part of the cause :p
*Malevolent refreshing Rögnir page*
-
Kennerton: Hey Rögnir is 400x more popular as the other models by looking at the visitor count
-
???
-
profit
* Looks at my browser history *

Hey, whaddayaknow.. you're right. I actually visit the Rögnir page at least once a day. I'm so sorry, folks. :sweat_smile:

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #6,065 of 10,024
My Rögnir arrived today and while the cost did sting I take some comfort in the fact that I ordered late last week just under the wire of the price increase. I must say I knew it was going to be detailed and wide (for a closed back) from other comments but based on first one to two hours of listening this thing has epic detail (to my ears). I thought the Wodan was fast and detailed but this is beyond that. And I dare say on some tracks it seems wider than the Wodan.

Thoughts on pairing with the Flux FA-22—manufacturer describes the 22 as their fast and slightly warm amp (and I concur) and thus it complements the Rognir’s speed very well. I find the FA-22 to be very transparent so character of the HP and DAC come through. I’ve never heard strings, brass, flute, and percussion in general sound better (test tracks were Moanin’ by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Tamacún by Rodrigo y Gabriela, Breathless by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Sleepless by Red Snapper, 10,000 Years by High on Fire, Ratamahatta by Sepultura, and Machine Gun by Band of Gypsys). The FA-22 is sourced from a Qutest and I will say I thought about reaching for the filter button to move the Qutest off the incisive filter on Machine Gun as the highs were very “crispy” and intense. The FA-22 is not going to smooth over the treble response of the Rögnir so for a very few bright recordings I may need to use the Tor Audio tube amp. But the detail and speed of the Rögnir and the Flux is something to hear. Regarding power, I don’t listen very loudly and was getting good volume and body of sound with the Rögnir on low gain at 12 o’clock on the dial.
Nice that you mention Rodrigo y Gabriela as I've just found them (thanks to a friend) and love their music; in particular, with the Thekk, the detail, speed, drama, excitement, power, realism of the performance is amazing. The music sounds good on the Empyrean, but those factors are noticeably less and that does affect the enjoyment. Via Thekk .... totally gripping!

I also want to say how much I'm enjoying the Thekk in every way - I know Rognir must be amazing, but little else gets a look in at present :wink: ; may I redress the balance?

I've had the Thekk for a few months now, and even after careful running in, it continued to improve over this time. Musical in every way over many genres, and exceptional on female vocals which is what I was hoping for.

I'd say this. Often with hifi, we have to accept tradeoffs:
Detail OR sweetness
Macro dynamics OR delicacy
HF response OR midrange tonality
etc etc.

The Thekk seems to change all the OR's to AND's - and that's magic. The sheer power and drama of Rodrigo y Gabriela, and the quiet delicacy of singers like Athena, Kate Purcell, Loreena McKennitt. All superb.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #6,066 of 10,024
Well, folks. The big has come. The MZ3 is here. Here it is below, doesn't it look great with the Rögnir? The big question: how does it sound?

The answer: I don't know because it's BROKE!

Yes, there's an issue with the left channel, which tube swapping doesn't seem to have resolved. So maybe it's a fuse issue, maybe it's bad luck, maybe it's destiny. I don't know. But for now, the question of the MZ3 sounds with the Rögnir will have to remain unanswered.... :cry:

P1090942.jpg
Hi folks, update to this - MZ3 is fixed and on its way back to me. Won't be able to listen for a week or so, however, as I'm travelling. Update on the Rognir pairing soon after...

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #6,067 of 10,024

Kennerton Rognir Headphones: Review

Behind the Scenes of the Kennerton Rögnir

You can treat this as a two-parts review of Kenneton Rognir. @Wiljen wrote the first part on product introduction and sound analysis, and I cover Kennerton's technologies hided inside the headphone earcup. Many thanks to ecoustic for placing my article to the front page of their website. I hope more headphone hobbyist will appreciate the Kennerton Rognir through these reviews.

Kennerton loans a pair of Rognir in Stabilized Karelian Birch to YULONG Audio during the CanJam SoCal 2021. If you were around CA and planned to visit CanJam, please crop by booth D1 (opposite to Meze and he Source AV) to check out Kennerton Rognir and YULONG DA1 in action.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 25, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #6,068 of 10,024

You can treat this as a two-parts review of Kenneton Rognir. @Wiljen wrote the first part on product introduction and sound analysis, and I cover Kennerton's technologies hided inside the headphone earcup. Many thanks to ecoustic for placing my article to the front page of their website. I hope more headphone hobbyist will appreciate the Kennerton Rognir through these reviews.

Kennerton loans a pair of Rognir in Stabilized Karelian Birch to YULONG Audio during the CanJam SoCal 2021. If you were around CA and planned to visit CanJam, please crop by booth D1 (opposite to Meze and The Sauce AV) to check out Kennerton Rognir and YULONG DA1 in action.
That is "The Source AV" I believe who you are nearby.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #6,069 of 10,024

Kennerton loans a pair of Rognir in Stabilized Karelian Birch to YULONG Audio during the CanJam SoCal 2021. If you were around CA and planned to visit CanJam, please crop by booth D1 (opposite to Meze and The Sauce AV) to check out Kennerton Rognir and YULONG DA1 in action.
How does it pair with the ha-300 !!

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #6,070 of 10,024
Rognir has me intrigued. I currently have verite closed with be2 pads. I really like the vocals on verite I’m wondering how the vocals are on rognir?
male vocals are not full or organic like on audeze or zmf, on rognir very neutral u might perceive them lack body, but it has good bass, highs and speed. Anyone coming from a hifiman susvara ( organic mids ), audeze lcd4 ( full mids ), or a zmf and empyrean headphone will find the mids of rognir very different

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #6,071 of 10,024
male vocals are not full or organic like on audeze or zmf, on rognir very neutral u might perceive them lack body, but it has good bass, highs and speed. Anyone coming from a hifiman susvara ( organic mids ), audeze lcd4 ( full mids ), or a zmf and empyrean headphone must get adjusted to the mids of rognir
Yeah, that's a succinct way of putting things - the mids on the Rognir are lean, clean and chock-full of detail; it's quite the contrast from the verdant, full, and lush bodies of midrange-magic contemporaries such as the aforementioned Vérité Closed, the Empyrean, and LCD-4.

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #6,072 of 10,024
Yeah, that's a succinct way of putting things - the mids on the Rognir are lean, clean and chock-full of detail; it's quite the contrast from the verdant, full, and lush bodies of midrange-magic contemporaries such as the aforementioned Vérité Closed, the Empyrean, and LCD-4.
how would one describe vocals and mids on a Audio technical AWKT ? because I find the vocals amazing on those cans, but I wouldn't say they're relative to verite empyrean or lcd-4 in terms of how the awkt sounds when reproducing vocals/mids ?!?

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #6,074 of 10,024
So I’ve had the Magni on loan for about week now and have been putting a lot of hours into it. I’ve been using my trusty IFI Zen Dac/Can combo and feel it’s sounds good. I’ve been looking at getting a good portable Dac/Amp( As an upgrade and to take on the go) and been looking at the IFI Micro IDSD Diablo and the IFI Micro IDSD signature. Has anyone used the Magni with any of these devices and whether either would be a good fit for the Magni?

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #6,075 of 10,024
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back