Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #6,031 of 10,023
@Nostoi I saw in your reviews that if you want enjoyment of the music, go with VC or Rognir vs. the Stealth. In terms of your Rognir, do you know which tuning you got? Was it the "stock" tuning that John mentioned that has a fuller bass? Or the "new" tuning that has more neutrality?

I guess in the end, as long as the Rognir EQ's well, I guess it may not matter much, lol :)

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #6,032 of 10,023
A Bubinga Rognir showed up at Audio46 and…I was very weak. It will be arriving late this week for comparison against the VC on the Flux, Tor, and Lyr 3 amps.

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #6,033 of 10,023
A Bubinga Rognir showed up at Audio46 and…I was very weak. It will be arriving late this week for comparison against the VC on the Flux, Tor, and Lyr 3 amps.

Did they confirm that they have a demo unit of the Rognir? I was exchanging emails with them and one of the guys said that he wasn't sure since they came as special order units.

Or did you mean that you ordered one and it's coming to you?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #6,034 of 10,023
Did they confirm that they have a demo unit of the Rognir? I was exchanging emails with them and one of the guys said that he wasn't sure since they came as special order units.

Or did you mean that you ordered one and it's coming to you?
The latter. Ordered and shipping to me later this week.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #6,036 of 10,023
@Nostoi I saw in your reviews that if you want enjoyment of the music, go with VC or Rognir vs. the Stealth. In terms of your Rognir, do you know which tuning you got? Was it the "stock" tuning that John mentioned that has a fuller bass? Or the "new" tuning that has more neutrality?

I guess in the end, as long as the Rognir EQ's well, I guess it may not matter much, lol :)
I don't actually know. Do you know when the "new" version came out? My sense is that I probably have this version.

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #6,038 of 10,023
I was actually going over this today because it's been so long since I travelled. I was contemplating the WP900 or the JVC HA-SW01 for headphones. The JVC would probably be my choice because they have a better isolation and a better seal, and are also less fatiguing if I only have one headphone. However, they really benefit from a bit of juice.

In any case, none of them compete with the IE900 on both a technical level as well as for pure enjoyment, so they'll probably be my choice. Indeed, also way more practical.

When I had the Cascade, they never left home - you're braver than me to wear them in public!
Yeah, I can't imagine using wired headphones when I'm out-and-about these days. A combination of a sizeable mass on your head, sweaty ears, and a thick(er) cable contribute to my conviction that my wired cans should just stay at home.

Using the Cascade? Yeah, I might, but I probably won't! :sweat_smile:

Sep 20, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #6,039 of 10,023
Has anyone heard the Rögnir with a FLUX FA-10, FA-12 or FA-22 Headphone amp? Impressions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I will be able to comment on FA-22 pairing by end of this week.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #6,040 of 10,023

I've been refining the internal wood “chamber” tuning on the GH50JM Edition Mk2 and I am finally there where I don't think I could make it sound much better- I found this a while ago -it's called the Tesla Valve - it applies to sound waves as well as the flow of water (above pic)

(below pic) Creating some fractal patterns made from multiple layers of woven fiberglass meshing recreating the polar reflected response in diagram c) called "extruded RMD Fractal pattern" which can be found in an acoustical investigation pier paper written about sound waves for ASA (Acoustical Society of America) entitled "Numerical prediction of sound scattering from surfaces with fractal geometry" replacing the OEM acoustic fabric within the design of the Kennerton GH50 Mk2 ear cups - the pattern I created here actually de-accelerates the sound waves into a very spacious sound "meshing" unlike fabric which has a deadening narrowing effect (see diagram labeled planar surface a) - this mesh material tunes the sound waves and it comes alive due to their fractal nature- and allows pinpoint accuracy and a wider stage fooling the waves into a creating a larger than life pattern while minimizing any echo or ring in sound waves - it works better than fabric (the idea comes from using much more expensive porous/foamed aluminum similar to ones used on the back wave of the Abyss AB 1266 TC or the Meta Material used in front of the Dan Clark Stealth or the Meta material used in the KEF speakers)

I have one head-fi user he can chime in if he likes but he is going to mail me his Gh50 for a Mk2 upgrade this week- it should take one week to ship to me, mod and resend out- maybe we will have feedback with in 2 weeks from the user... thanks for allowing me to try to make things better -always improving is the only way I live

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #6,041 of 10,023
I have one head-fi user he can chime in if he likes but he is going to mail me his Gh50 for a Mk2 upgrade this week- it should take one week to ship to me, mod and resend out- maybe we will have feedback with in 2 weeks from the user... thanks for allowing me to try to make things better -always improving is the only way I live
I'm the user John is referring to. I've got the GH50 packaged up and will be mailing it out today. I enjoy the sound of the JM Edition, but the updates/upgrades he's made to the MK2 version seem exactly like what I thought these needed to take the sound to the next level. So, I'm taking a chance, but a safe one I think.

BTW John, I should have mentioned this before, but mine are custom Karelian stabilized birch, similar to yours, so please be extra careful with them. 😅

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #6,042 of 10,023
So after months of going back and forth I took the plunge and I’m now have the Magni in my home for demo. First impressions is very good so far and loving how wide these headphones sound given they are closed back. Want to thank John Massaria for his review on the Magni and Gjallarhorn comparison as initially wanted something completely different however after reading that review I had to listen to the Magni.

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #6,043 of 10,023
Tesla_valve_principle.svg.png

I've been refining the internal wood “chamber” tuning on the GH50JM Edition Mk2 and I am finally there where I don't think I could make it sound much better- I found this a while ago -it's called the Tesla Valve - it applies to sound waves as well as the flow of water (above pic)

(below pic) Creating some fractal patterns made from multiple layers of woven fiberglass meshing recreating the polar reflected response in diagram c) called "extruded RMD Fractal pattern" which can be found in an acoustical investigation pier paper written about sound waves for ASA (Acoustical Society of America) entitled "Numerical prediction of sound scattering from surfaces with fractal geometry" replacing the OEM acoustic fabric within the design of the Kennerton GH50 Mk2 ear cups - the pattern I created here actually de-accelerates the sound waves into a very spacious sound "meshing" unlike fabric which has a deadening narrowing effect (see diagram labeled planar surface a) - this mesh material tunes the sound waves and it comes alive due to their fractal nature- and allows pinpoint accuracy and a wider stage fooling the waves into a creating a larger than life pattern while minimizing any echo or ring in sound waves - it works better than fabric (the idea comes from using much more expensive porous/foamed aluminum similar to ones used on the back wave of the Abyss AB 1266 TC or the Meta Material used in front of the Dan Clark Stealth or the Meta material used in the KEF speakers)

D05D43A3-F1E6-4ECA-8841-2FA2F6E143FB.jpeg Untietled.png
Wonder how much of an improvement if this fractal mesh is applied on the Rognir.

I know Sony z1r used the Fibonacci pattern on the back plate with similar ideas of creating a wide sound for their closed back

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #6,044 of 10,023
Wonder how much of an improvement if this fractal mesh is applied on the Rognir.

I know Sony z1r used the Fibonacci pattern on the back plate with similar ideas of creating a wide sound for their closed back
the fiberglass mesh is vital for advancement I think could be for all headphones in place of fabric - the principles are similar as I mentioned used on the DCA CRBN (meta materal at front of driver inward facing ear) and Abyss (on the rear open back end using porous aluminum) - and as a side note the Rognir inside their wooden cup behind the driver - Kennerton expertly chose to do a time consuming and difficlut process which will defract sound waves - by actually carving the wood into its own room of defracting wood spikes and dips integral to the cup! And on the other side of the planar end the side that faces your ear ROGNIR uses a sophisticated piece of dense fabric foam I never seen before that de-fracts sound extremely well but because its a material similar to cloth/foam it does mute some given frequency intentional or not (it must by its very nature) but the goal of their design is the same to slow the waves and create SPACE after the wave leaves the driver. On the GH50 the fiber glass weave I made is not sucking/absorbing in any one frequency that I know of because it's stiff. I will post pictures of Rognir insides to some degree in my review when I dedicate my time to the review- it is a marvel of engineering and Kennerton has been very 'secretive' about how it can sound so open on the Rognir as a closed back -I do plan on eleaborating as most of us may want to know just how special it's design really is - Kennerton is just as cutting edge as other headphone companies but less vocal like the CRBN by Audeze and Stealth by Dan Clark ... Getting back to the GH50 - the back of the driver is where a lot of mods were made by me now- the GH50 uses a circular channel carved into the wood - where you see the foam in the center of the picture around the driver- I eliminated some of that foam on the center pic seen below and made use of the Tesla flow diagram for the sound waves. For the left pic seen below (the outer cup - I eliminated about 75% of the foam in curved part of the cup and substituted a real actual "wave" pattern of hard nylon mesh - I also applied one tiny hard metal (made of copper/nickel) surface the size of a dime in the center made of non magnetic metal that will effectivly reflect high frequencies back into the cup portion by way of reflection- and then of course we see the far right side shown here and subbed in fiber glass mesh in a fractal design overlapping creating a huge fictitious space for sound waves to play in which in part widens the image without killing or muting anyone frequency (or note)
IMG_4724.jpg

THIS PICTURE IS THE CURRENT DESIGN NON MODDED VERSION 1 oF GH50JM Edition- explained above is what I did verbally but not shown in this photo.

Untietled.png

this is the key to making headphones less in your head I think while not touching any frequency db (no muting)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #6,045 of 10,023
Hi All!

Mine arrived last Friday, 30 hours in so far, loving them, I went for the Silky Walnut. How long do they need to sound at their best, I am assuming 100 hours plus? Cheers. Greg.

Attachments

• 20210917_144547.jpg
    20210917_144547.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210917_144607.jpg
    20210917_144607.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210917_141513.jpg
    20210917_141513.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210917_141521.jpg
    20210917_141521.jpg