Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 2, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #4,157 of 10,023
I don't know if it's appropriate, but there's a culture/convention in thread-naming in a forum for another hobby of mine; Dress Shoes. (The forum is 'Style Forum', by the way, and I'm more active there than here actually).

It simply the brand name + "Appreciation Thread". For example "Carmina Appreciation Thread" or "Alden Appreciation Thread".

Of course, the comments aren't all about appreciations. There are comments and discussions about things concerning the products from the brand as well. (In other words, pretty much like what we're doing in this thread).

By the way, I feel like listening to my Vali (the first generation) today. Still looking nice and going strong :)

DSC_7205.jpg

Ahhh .... I feel like getting the latest generation of Vali ....

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #4,158 of 10,023
I have created a thread to talk about closed-back Kennerton headphones. I am not sure how popular it will be, but should we give it a try? :)

We can also start one for their open-back headphones. As I'm not a fan of open cans (in general), I'll leave that to other users who are better placed to lead discussions on their headphones.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #4,159 of 10,023
I do enjoy the generalist thread, but at the same time it is inefficient to sort through all the posts looking for info about a particular model. I like Hartford’s three thread suggestion. It seems like a nice compromise that should keep regular participation high and relevant information easy to locate.

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #4,160 of 10,023
Happy new year everybody.

One thread for every Kennerton model is perhaps too much.
So, I propose 3 threads :

- Kennerton electrodynamics.
- Kennerton planars.
- Kennerton IEM.

Philippe.
Personally I'd split differently.

- High End Kennerton headphones like Thekk Thror etc in summit di
- "Regular" Kennerton headphones like Vali Gjallarhorn etc
- Kennerton IEMs

Maybe it's just me, but personally I am more interested in the High End stuff and comparisons to the likes of Susvara etc.
Vali and similar are nice to look at, but won't spark any serious buying Intention in me.

While others are likely interested in sub 1k$ headphones and don't care all that much for flagships.

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #4,163 of 10,023
But it's exactly the same split !!! Only the name was changed :
Planars ---> High End.
Electrodynamics ---> "Regular".

:thinking:
Now that you mention it 🤔

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #4,164 of 10,023
By the way, I feel like listening to my Vali (the first generation) today. Still looking nice and going strong :)

DSC_7205.jpg

Ahhh .... I feel like getting the latest generation of Vali ....

I pulled out my 2019 Vali this night
vali-1.jpg
... and swapped the pads I have for my LSA HP-1's; the ECL-02 pads to the Vali and I actually enjoy the difference it made! Before I did I thought it would be to much bass but damn this is a whole new experience :D The highs come down, the sound remains 'in your face' and the (sub)bas rumbles like never before. Makes me wonder if I do still want to part with this beauty ...

Yes the HP-1 is technically better and more to life but Vali can make dull life feels like a heroic adventure :)

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #4,165 of 10,023
Personally I'd split differently.

- High End Kennerton headphones like Thekk Thror etc in summit di
- "Regular" Kennerton headphones like Vali Gjallarhorn etc
- Kennerton IEMs

Maybe it's just me, but personally I am more interested in the High End stuff and comparisons to the likes of Susvara etc.
Vali and similar are nice to look at, but won't spark any serious buying Intention in me.

While others are likely interested in sub 1k$ headphones and don't care all that much for flagships.
The only problem is, where are the definitions of high-end and regular? What's the arbitrary line between these 2 categories? That'll certainly be a point of contention, and might generate a lot of confusion amongst users in these (future) threads, I surmise.

In any case, I have created a "closed-back thread" for Kennerton headphones. If it generates enough chatter, we could create 1 for the open-back cans, too? Subsequently, 1 for the IEM category as well, once it's released. :)

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #4,167 of 10,023
Say, >= 1,000 USD/EUR and < 1,000 ?

Or more precisely > 1.080 USD/EUR and <= 1.080? (price excl. tax), which is like separating Kennerton's electrodynamic technology headphones (<= 1,080 USD/EUR): "full size" electrodynamic open headphones: old Vali, Vali 2019 and Vali 2020 "late", and "full size" electrodynamic closed-back headphones: Magister, Magister Pro, M12s, Magni V2, Magni V3, Gjallarhorn GH50 and Gjallarhorn JM Edition; and the planar (orthodynamic) technology headphones (> 1,080 USD/EUR): Odin mk2, mk3 (Thridi), Wodan, Thekk and Thror (for open planar headphones) and the future Rögnir (as the new (and only) closed-back planar headphones).

Well, once this obviousness is announced, for budget reasons, each of these two categories of Kennerton headphones (in technology and price) will have its audience. And I don't think there will be too many bad surprises regarding the price/performance hierarchy of these Kennerton headphones in each category of price and headphones technology used.

Afterwards, for some (of this public), it is possible that after discovering the Kennerton brand, for example with the cheapest Kennerton headphones models (the electrodynamic headphones), and although curiosity will make them move to the "superior" models, in price, therefore moving to the category of planar headphones (open, and now closed-back planar).
As an example, if I'm not wrong, my friends Andrew @Arcamera and Dave @ithilienrp started, respectively, by buying a Kennerton Vali and a Kennerton Magister, to "finish", respectively, with a Kennerton Thekk and a Kennerton Thror. :)

Right here, I predict that @Malevolent who started with a Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 (a electrodynamic closed-back headphones equipped with a horn, a novelty) has a very high probability of "ending" with a closed-back planar Rögnir headphone; and he shouldn't be the only one in this situation, because I also predict that Dave, at some point, as a collector, will add to his trophys (collection) a superb Kennerton Rögnir in stabilized Karelian birch, probably blue in color . ..
... unless John Massaria took the lead ?

For my part, having no problem listening to an open headphones, the day Kennerton will release its next flagship in planar (and open) technology, to openly compete with the other high-end totl headphones (except the Sennheiser HE-1), well ..... :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #4,168 of 10,023
As an example, if I'm not wrong, my friends Andrew @Arcamera and Dave @ithilienrp started, respectively, by buying a Kennerton Vali and a Kennerton Magister, to "finish", respectively, with a Kennerton Thekk and a Kennerton Thror. :)

Actually, my first Kennerton headphones were Odin and Magister (I bought them at the same time). At that time Vali wasn't out yet. Though I'm pretty sure my first Vali was among the first pairs world-wide.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #4,169 of 10,023
Actually, my first Kennerton headphones were Odin and Magister (I bought them at the same time). At that time Vali wasn't out yet. Though I'm pretty sure my first Vali was among the first pairs world-wide.

Hi Dave.

I wasn't quite sure about the first Kennerton headphones you bought, so I wrote "if I'm not wrong" as a precaution.

What I know is that you bought "at least" 1 Kennerton Odin mk1 headphone, 2 Kennerton Odin mk2, 3 Magister, 2 Vali (now called "old Vali"), 1 Magni V1, 1 Thror, and a Gjallarhorn JM Edition, without going into details about the wood species, each one more beautiful (and rare) than the other.

10340179.jpg

10317835.jpg

11377579.jpg

I know that our friend Andrew bought 2 Odin (1 Odin mk1 and 1 Odin mk2), 2 Vali (I think) (old Vali that he appreciates a lot) and 1 Thekk. :)

For my part, I started by buying 2 Odin mk1! then 1 Odin mk2, 1 Thror (THR-001), then 1 Magni V2, and finally 1 Thekk (SN-001)!

That said, the other head-fi members reading this Kennerton thread will now look at us strangely and think we're all three of us crazy, or fans, or just collectors of original headphones. :beyersmile:

That said, Dave, you can't take away the idea for me that your Kennerton headphone collection won't stop at the Gjallarhorn JM Edition.
I have a very definite idea for your next headphone for the year 2021, and it will include wooden cups to match your latest elegant dress shoes! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back