Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #4,126 of 10,023
Dear friends, forgive me for my silence - unfortunately, I haven't been feeling very well for the past week. Too bad I won't be able to have a drink or two or three on the holidays, but that's okay.
I just wanted to say a few words about Rognir. In order not to be suspected of copying anyone else - I took a photo of the internal construction. Of course, the main "highlight" is in the membrane and in the driver's damping, but let me not show this point yet.
In terms of sound, the Rognir is my favorite. And no compromises or adjustments to the fact that they are closed-back headphones. They sound like full open-back planars.
About the new Vali... That's right. Since December all Vali's have had a different driver, exactly the same as the Gjallarhorn and Magni. And in my opinion, they are very cool. In any case, when listening and comparing directly, most people who had the opportunity - all choose this version of the Vali. Of course, if they want open headphones.
All the best for the New Year to everyone!
Sad to hear about your health, hopefully you will return to your normal self soon!
So I stand corrected: the new new Vali uses the graphene coated drivers (hint: update the text on the website to reflect the changes :wink:)
And about Rognir ... I was intrigued and am exited now!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #4,127 of 10,023
Dear friends, forgive me for my silence - unfortunately, I haven't been feeling very well for the past week. Too bad I won't be able to have a drink or two or three on the holidays, but that's okay.
I just wanted to say a few words about Rognir. In order not to be suspected of copying anyone else - I took a photo of the internal construction. Of course, the main "highlight" is in the membrane and in the driver's damping, but let me not show this point yet.
In terms of sound, the Rognir is my favorite. And no compromises or adjustments to the fact that they are closed-back headphones. They sound like full open-back planars.
About the new Vali... That's right. Since December all Vali's have had a different driver, exactly the same as the Gjallarhorn and Magni. And in my opinion, they are very cool. In any case, when listening and comparing directly, most people who had the opportunity - all choose this version of the Vali. Of course, if they want open headphones.
I hope you'll get better soon, Valentin.

2021 is just right around the corner; to all of my fellow Kennerton-oholics, here's to a better year! :)

The Rögnir is pretty as heck, and since I'm already accustomed to the Gjallarhorn's headband, the aesthetics and comfort aspects (of the Rögnir) have already hit top marks. All that's left to negotiate is the sound, and somehow, I don't think we'll be disappointed in that regard.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #4,128 of 10,023

Thank you Valentin for the latest news on the very promising and exciting Kennerton Rögnir whose genesis is of great interest to us, as well as this clarification on this late Vali 2020 upgrade, benefiting in turn from the high-tech graphene-coated driver of the Magni/Gjallarhorn.

Above all, take good care of yourself and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Rest, good music, and a good drink (or two, or three ..); here are my recommendations (as french doctor), and I wish you all the best for the new year to come, which can't be worse than the one just passed, and which I hope will allow us all to gradually get back to a normal life.
And also enjoying all these new and wonderful Kennerton headphones.:)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #4,130 of 10,023
Dec 30, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #4,131 of 10,023
You made my beauty Topre keyboard full of saliva... Have to buy a new one to me :wink: That was an impressive pic of the Rögnir.

It's curious that a doctor recommends you to drink alcohol... I hope you to recover soon! and have a happy new year delighting us with your wonderful headphones.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #4,132 of 10,023
It's curious that a doctor recommends you to drink alcohol... I hope you to recover soon! and have a happy new year delighting us with your wonderful headphones.

In viral and bacterial diseases, alcohol is a recognized disinfectant: for example the hydro-alcoholic gel recommended for hand disinfection; but for oral (buccal) use, a good glass of wine (or champagne) is preferable! (in moderation, especially if you have to drive).
This is what I will do, on a prophylactic basis, on the night of December 31 .... :beyersmile:

20123009564523553817192347.jpg

Wonderful and very promising closed-back planar headphone, indeed! :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #4,133 of 10,023
In viral and bacterial diseases, alcohol is a recognized disinfectant: for example the hydro-alcoholic gel recommended for hand disinfection; but for oral (buccal) use, a good glass of wine (or champagne) is preferable! (in moderation, especially if you have to drive).
This is what I will do, on a prophylactic basis, on the night of December 31 .... :beyersmile:

Wonderful and very promising closed-back planar headphone, indeed! :)

Beautiful inside out! It goes to show the research that’s been done to arrive at that shape :relaxed:

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #4,134 of 10,023
Beautiful inside out! It goes to show the research that’s been done to arrive at that shape :relaxed:

The research work on wooden cups was probably more extensive than that provided by Hifiman with their HE-R10P! :beyersmile:

Otherwise, working wood (or synthetic materials) is probably easier than working tempered glass to close a headphone and control the rear wave that can blur the sound message, change the tone and alter the sound image (precision and placement of instruments) compared to an open headphone.

In the pictures below, some examples of electrodynamic and planar headphones closures.
The technologies used are notoriously different.

20123109403523553817192526.jpg

Sennheiser HD-820 closed by a tempered glass cover.

20123109403523553817192527.jpg

Focal Stellia ear-cups.

20123109403523553817192525.jpg

Hifiman HE-R10P (Planar) ear-cups.

Kennerton Rögnir ear-cups (prototype) (closed back planar headphones).

Concerning the future Kennerton Rögnir headphone, a closed-back planar, as indicated by Valentin, two master parts of the puzzle are still missing: the planar driver used and its membrane, as well as its damping, which will have a major role in the good sound control of a closed-back planar, especially with planar technology; planar headphones known to be difficult to close properly.

For the moment, only the weight of the headphones Rögnir is indicated (estimed around 400 g) and the aesthetics and the inner and outer shape of the wooden cups are known to us, and appear to be very promising for a very good closed-back headphone, studied seriously, with a priori a very good sound (we strongly hope so).
But it is the fan of the brand who speaks here .... :)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #4,136 of 10,023
will the new vali also be lighter?

Yes, the new Kennerton Vali 2019 (open electrodynamic headphone) (with the 50 mm electrodynamic driver using a paper membrane) and the new Vali 2020 "late" (equipped since December 2020 with the high-tech 50 mm electrodynamic driver of the Magni and Gjallarhorn, with graphene coated membrane), will be significantly lighter than the old Vali (equipped with the old Odin headband): i.e. a weight of about 490 g for the new Vali 2019 and 2020 "late" (compared to 560 g for the old (first) Vali).

As a result, the wearing comfort of the new Vali 2019 and 2020 "late" (lighter in weight and using the new "self-adapting" headband fitted on the latest Kennerton headphones), should be significantly improved compared to the old model (the first Vali) more "spartan" (for some people) concerning the wearing comfort (*).
(*) (because with its rigids pads (old pads) and with a too high clamping; not counting the difference in weight).

According to Valentin, Kennerton's CEO, the new "late model" Vali 2020, equipped with the latest 50 mm electrodynamic drivers, with a graphene coated membrane, would be even better performing (and pleasant to hear) than the new Vali 2019 equipped with the old Vali drivers (with paper membrane).

You can reread the test of this new Vali 2020 "late" compared to the Magni V3 and the M12S (2020), here : https://boizoff.com/?p=978

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #4,138 of 10,023

Many thanks for this english version of this comparative article of this three Kennerton headphones ; very great job! ! :)

Unless I am mistaken, you are the Russian author of this excellent review of these three Kennerton electrodynamic headphones (two closed-back and one open), as for the other two reviews written by you (in Russian, then in English) of the Kennerton Gajallarhorn JM Edition and the Kennerton Wodan, as well as an excellent reflection (written in Russian) on headphones listening perception and Harman target curve (s).

I took the liberty of taking your links to your reviews of your blog, from the previous page of this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ken...hror-discussion.732814/page-275#post-16069783

I appreciate your great knowledge and yours analysis of headphones, your rational critical thinking, and I think I share with you an ear sensitivity of these headphones that is close to yours (and that of the Crinacle critic's target curve). https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/

If one day you can write us a review about Kennerton Thekk headphones (open planar headphones) and the future and very intriguing Kennerton Rögnir (closed-back planar headphones), well, I'll be among the first to read it on your blog https: / /boizoff.com/ (even if written in Russian; the google translate translation helps to understand the gist of the message).

Well done for your quality reviews (and your blog).

I wish you an excellent year 2021, in a few hours, in Russia (St Petersburg) and in France, as well as health to all your fellow citizens. :)

Dec 31, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #4,139 of 10,023
Good evening to all, and happy New Year's Eve for the New Year.

From Paris, the M family wishes you an excellent and happy new year 2021, full of hope and of joy with your favorite music, musical instruments and headphones. :)

Best wishes.

Eric

20123107314723553817193523.jpg

20123107444323553817193530.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back