Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 29, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #4,111 of 10,018
Hi all.

Here is a new review from the Russian critic Igor Boytsov concerning this time the Kennerton M12 Studio, Magni V3 and Vali 2020 headphones.

Link: https://boizoff.com/?p=978

m12s_magni_vali_first-1200x822.jpg

From the same author you can read (or reread) the reviews on :

About the sound in the headphones and Harman's target curve: https://boizoff.com/?p=948

Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition: https://boizoff.com/?p=904&lang=en

Kennerton Wodan: https://boizoff.com/?p=688&lang=en

Interview of the CEO of Kennerton: https://boizoff.com/?p=738&lang=en

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #4,112 of 10,018
Yes, the old headband is more aesthetic, but every gram counts for the comfort of wearing a headphones.

When it comes to the weight of the future Rögnir closed-back planar headphone, there are three variables to consider, and one of them is already known:

The choice of the new headband will reduce the weight of the Rögnir headphone by about 90 g (compared to the old headband), not to mention that it will be much more convenient to use, as it is self-adaptive.

The choice of the planar driver frame (most probably 80 mm planar driver with the latest technology for the membrane, reinforced in honeycomb): if the Rögnir uses the carbon planar driver of the Thekk, it will also be nearly 100 g lighter than the weight of the planar metal driver of the Odin MK3 Thridi (or Wodan).

The weight of the Rögnir's closed-back wood cups: we can make the hypothesis that they will weigh about 100 g more than the Thekk's, if we refer to the weight difference between the Audeze LCD-XC (closed-back) and LCD-X (730 g versus 630 g); but it will also depend (greatly?) on the choice of the wood used (the species of wood), bearing in mind that cups made of stabilized wood are slightly heavier than cups made of unstabilized wood (due to the impregnation of the colored resin in the wood stabilization process).

With all these assumptions, we can make the hypothesis of a minimum weight of the Rögnir: that of the Thekk with unstabilized wooden cups + 100 g (of headphone closure), i.e. 380 + 100 = 480 g (*) (i.e. 250 g less than your Audeze LCD-XC); as well as a maximum weight of the Rögnir: that of the Wodan + 100 g (of headphone closure) + 20 g for wood stabilization, i.e. 480 + 100 + 20 g = 600 g. (i.e. 130 g less than your Audeze LCD-XC).

(*) A weight very close to the 460 g announced for the Hifiman HE-R10P (another closed-back planar headphone).
Another great analysis there, Eric. I hope that you're right, and that the Rögnir will be kept to a maximum of 600 grams. That's a figure that's probably in the top 5% of masses for all headphones, open or closed. In fact, I can only think of a dozen cans or so that exceed this limit.

From pictures alone, the wooden cups of the Rögnir (and pretty much every other woodie on the market) surpasses the HE-R10 in style and finish. To be honest, the HiFiMan's new flagship looks equally tacky and derivative, but that's a topic for another day, another place.

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #4,113 of 10,018
Hi all.

Here is a new review from the Russian critic Igor Boytsov concerning this time the Kennerton M12 Studio, Magni V3 and Vali 2020 headphones.

Link: https://boizoff.com/?p=978

m12s_magni_vali_first-1200x822.jpg

From the same author you can read (or reread) the reviews on :

About the sound in the headphones and Harman's target curve: https://boizoff.com/?p=948

Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition: https://boizoff.com/?p=904&lang=en

Kennerton Wodan: https://boizoff.com/?p=688&lang=en

Interview of the CEO of Kennerton: https://boizoff.com/?p=738&lang=en
Superb write-up! as owner of 2 of them I can agree on almost everything except the next passage:
Vali uses the same graphene-sprayed speaker as Magni. Inside the cups are installed silicone (?) hemispheres, playing the role of sound scatterers.
This is not the case since Vali uses and I quote again
Vali is equipped with unique 50mm drivers using ultra-lightweight paper composite diaphragms that are exclusively designed with award-winning manufacturer, Peerless® by Tymphany. They offer great sensitivity, while reducing unwanted resonance and distortion. Its audio performance is then carefully tuned by our Russian engineers to ensure that nothing falls below excellence.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #4,114 of 10,018
Superb write-up! as owner of 2 of them I can agree on almost everything except the next passage:

This is not the case since Vali uses and I quote again

Hi arielext.

I see only two hypotheses concerning the drivers of the Kennerton Vali 2020 headphones examined by the author of this review.

Either he is wrong, as indicated in your post above; or he is right, and the Vali 2020 "late" examined in his review (published yesterday, December 28, 2020) would be a new version of the Vali, even better performing, taking the Magni V3 driver (50 mm, graphene coated) with an exotic "carbon black" treatment of the external grid (experimental treatment according to the author's statements) and a diffusion cone (made of silicone?) in the rear chamber of the driver.
In short, it would be a new Vali (2020 "late"), distinct from the old Vali and the new Vali 2019 ...

Valentin should intervene here, on head-fi, to separate these two hypotheses mentioned above.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #4,115 of 10,018
I’ve been trying to get Valentin by email for a while - I hope he is just on vacation - hope he is ok

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #4,116 of 10,018
I’ve been trying to get Valentin by email for a while - I hope he is just on vacation - hope he is ok
He posted on Facebook about his daughters birthday a couple days ago and so hopefully he is just a bit busy.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #4,117 of 10,018
Hi everybody
I try not to touch on international forums.
At the moment, we have an extremely high load.
We are a fairly small company that relies more
on experimental experience and inspiration.
And if we want to improve something (in our opinion), we do it without
much notice.

So it happened with Vali
after a certain time, we switched them to a new (at that time)
driver with which the result was much better.
Personally I can't say that the model is successful from the point of view of sales
but from the point of view of sound, it outplays a lot of models from more expensive segments.

Now I will tell you a little about the experimental version of Rognir,
the weight of the headphones is 380 grams in this particular instance
, this is their 12th version and believe me, it is not as simple inside
as it seems from the outside.
But for me personally, this is our favorite for the very concept of headphones
And here we are not talking about subjective characteristics, namely the task
of combining sound quality and a closed design for such a difficult
type of headphones as planar.

Unfortunately for most COVID has changed the rules of the game in this market and now so many are trapped at home with the changed
the rules of the game, when getting pleasure from music should not interfere with others who are also locked up at home with you.

P.s. I used yandex translate don't throw stones on me pls!)

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #4,118 of 10,018
Yes, the old headband is more aesthetic, but every gram counts for the comfort of wearing a headphones.

When it comes to the weight of the future Rögnir closed-back planar headphone, there are three variables to consider, and one of them is already known:

The choice of the new headband will reduce the weight of the Rögnir headphone by about 90 g (compared to the old headband), not to mention that it will be much more convenient to use, as it is self-adaptive.

The choice of the planar driver frame (most probably 80 mm planar driver with the latest technology for the membrane, reinforced in honeycomb): if the Rögnir uses the carbon planar driver of the Thekk, it will also be nearly 100 g lighter than the weight of the planar metal driver of the Odin MK3 Thridi (or Wodan).

The weight of the Rögnir's closed-back wood cups: we can make the hypothesis that they will weigh about 100 g more than the Thekk's, if we refer to the weight difference between the Audeze LCD-XC (closed-back) and LCD-X (730 g versus 630 g); but it will also depend (greatly?) on the choice of the wood used (the species of wood), bearing in mind that cups made of stabilized wood are slightly heavier than cups made of unstabilized wood (due to the impregnation of the colored resin in the wood stabilization process).

With all these assumptions, we can make the hypothesis of a minimum weight of the Rögnir: that of the Thekk with unstabilized wooden cups + 100 g (of headphone closure), i.e. 380 + 100 = 480 g (*) (i.e. 250 g less than your Audeze LCD-XC); as well as a maximum weight of the Rögnir: that of the Wodan + 100 g (of headphone closure) + 20 g for wood stabilization, i.e. 480 + 100 + 20 g = 600 g. (i.e. 130 g less than your Audeze LCD-XC).

(*) A weight very close to the 460 g announced for the Hifiman HE-R10P (another closed-back planar headphone).
I like your hypothesis posts, is so fun to speculate about these (hope) wonderful headphones.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #4,119 of 10,018
Hi everybody
much notice.

So it happened with Vali
Personally I can't say that the model is successful from the point of view of sales
but from the point of view of sound, it outplays a lot of models from more expensive segments.

Unfortunately for most COVID has changed the rules of the game in this market and now so many are trapped at home with the changed
the rules of the game, when getting pleasure from music should not interfere with others who are also locked up at home with you.

Thank you very much for your post. It clarify some important aspects about Rögnir.

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #4,120 of 10,018
Another great analysis there, Eric. I hope that you're right, and that the Rögnir will be kept to a maximum of 600 grams. That's a figure that's probably in the top 5% of masses for all headphones, open or closed. In fact, I can only think of a dozen cans or so that exceed this limit.

From pictures alone, the wooden cups of the Rögnir (and pretty much every other woodie on the market) surpasses the HE-R10 in style and finish. To be honest, the HiFiMan's new flagship looks equally tacky and derivative, but that's a topic for another day, another place.
Hi everybody
much notice.

So it happened with Vali

I like your hypothesis posts, is so fun to speculate about these (hope) wonderful headphones.

Wow !

380 g for the Kennerton Rögnir prototype (planar closed-back headphone), the same weight as the Thekk (planar open): a feat that pulverizes the 460 g announced for the Hifiman HE-R10P (another high-end planar closed-back headphones).
@Malevolent on this forum, a big fan of closed-back headphones, will be delighted to learn it!
I deduce that the Rögnir uses a planar driver (80 mm size ?) with a carbon frame, like the one on the Thekk (and Thror).

A very complex internal structure of the Rögnir where empiricism and many tests have refined the structure for the sound; you arouse my curiosity, man!

Otherwise, if I understood correctly, the author of the review of the new new Vali 2020 and my second hypothesis made in my previous post would both be right: the new new Vali 2020 (late) would use now the same high-tech 50 mm graphene coated electrodynamic driver, more efficient than the old Vali's driver (with its paper membrane) and currently equipping the Magni V3, the Gjallarhorn GH 50 and the Gjallarhorn JM Edition. Great!

Keep it up guys; you're doing a great job. :)

Now all we have to do is wait for another very promising Kennerton headphone, knowing where it comes from, the future top-of-the-line planar IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #4,121 of 10,018
Wow !

380 g for the Kennerton Rögnir prototype (planar closed-back headphone), the same weight as the Thekk (planar open): a feat that pulverizes the 460 g announced for the Hifiman HE-R10P (another high-end planar closed-back headphones).
@Malevolent on this forum, a big fan of closed-back headphones, will be delighted to learn it!
I deduce that the Rögnir uses a planar driver (80 mm size ?) with a carbon frame, like the one on the Thekk (and Thror).

A very complex internal structure of the Rögnir where empiricism and many tests have refined the structure for the sound; you arouse my curiosity, man!

Otherwise, if I understood correctly, the author of the review of the new new Vali 2020 and my second hypothesis made in my previous post would both be right: the new new Vali 2020 (late) would use now the same high-tech 50 mm graphene coated electrodynamic driver, more efficient than the old Vali's driver (with its paper membrane) and currently equipping the Magni V3, the Gjallarhorn GH 50 and the Gjallarhorn JM Edition. Great!

Keep it up guys; you're doing a great job. :)

Now all we have to do is wait for another very promising Kennerton headphone, knowing where it comes from, the future top-of-the-line planar IEM.
Yes, I was very surprised to learn that the final (?) Rögnir prototype weighs under 400 grams - that's an impressive feat for a full-sized, wood-cupped, planar-magnetic headphone! Of course, it's great for our collective necks, too. :wink: Although I've grown accustomed to the mass of my Audeze headphones, a lighter headphone is still preferable for extended listening sessions.

I'm really hyped for the release of the Rögnir - let's hope for more updates soon. :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #4,122 of 10,018
Dear friends, forgive me for my silence - unfortunately, I haven't been feeling very well for the past week. Too bad I won't be able to have a drink or two or three on the holidays, but that's okay.
I just wanted to say a few words about Rognir. In order not to be suspected of copying anyone else - I took a photo of the internal construction. Of course, the main "highlight" is in the membrane and in the driver's damping, but let me not show this point yet.
In terms of sound, the Rognir is my favorite. And no compromises or adjustments to the fact that they are closed-back headphones. They sound like full open-back planars.
About the new Vali... That's right. Since December all Vali's have had a different driver, exactly the same as the Gjallarhorn and Magni. And in my opinion, they are very cool. In any case, when listening and comparing directly, most people who had the opportunity - all choose this version of the Vali. Of course, if they want open headphones.
All the best for the New Year to everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 30, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #4,124 of 10,018
Dear friends, forgive me for my silence - unfortunately, I haven't been feeling very well for the past week. Too bad I won't be able to have a drink or two or three on the holidays, but that's okay.
I just wanted to say a few words about Rognir. In order not to be suspected of copying anyone else - I took a photo of the internal construction. Of course, the main "highlight" is in the membrane and in the driver's damping, but let me not show this point yet.
In terms of sound, the Rognir is my favorite. And no compromises or adjustments to the fact that they are closed-back headphones. They sound like full open-back planars.
About the new Vali... That's right. Since December all Vali's have had a different driver, exactly the same as the Gjallarhorn and Magni. And in my opinion, they are very cool. In any case, when listening and comparing directly, most people who had the opportunity - all choose this version of the Vali. Of course, if they want open headphones.
All the best for the New Year to everyone!

Well I am so happy to hear from you Valentin - hope you are getting stronger and doing well now... happy new year! 2021 will be a better year I think for sure for the world!
stay-thirsty-my-friends.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #4,125 of 10,018
Well I am so happy to hear from you Valentin - hope you are getting stronger and doing well now... happy new year! 2021 will be a better year I think for sure for the world!stay-thirsty-my-friends.jpg
Let us hope you are right! By the way that inner Rognir design looks marvelous, kind of like a maze, like the type of headphone that would get a plot line in the westworld series haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back