Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #4,186 of 10,023
bowei006 / Eric, I agree with those that think we should keep this thread general and have a name change like "Kennerton Appreciation Thread," or "Fan Club Thread" or what have you. I'm content with just one general thread, personally. But I understand if people want a more specific dedicated thread to certain individual models.

--Andrew

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #4,187 of 10,023
Just got another message from a really happy owner of the Kennerton GH50 JM Edition- such a gorgeous color and his remarks are so cool I had to share with his permission -

Uwntitled.png

F9364518-B6CD-42B5-AD17-3E75E0C5B3EF.jpg

Untiteled.png

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4,188 of 10,023
bowei006 / Eric, I agree with those that think we should keep this thread general and have a name change like "Kennerton Appreciation Thread," or "Fan Club Thread" or what have you. I'm content with just one general thread, personally. But I understand if people want a more specific dedicated thread to certain individual models.

--Andrew

Good evening Andrew: Kennerton's current generalist thread is doing well. :)

For this year 2021, the fairly extensive title of this generalist Kennerton thread gives a good overview of the great richness of the productions of Kennerton headphones.

I think it's important that the names of these headphones still appear in the title of the thread, because for a lot of people around the world the Kennerton brand is still very little known, and discovering all these headphones names, most often aliases of the name Odin, it must be said, should titillate the curiosity of an audience that still has little knowledge of the Kennerton brand, often seen as a curiosity, see a strangeness.

Later, when the brand awareness will be established, I think the title of the thread could be shortened to a more general title such as:
" Kennerton headphones: general discussion thread. "

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #4,189 of 10,023
I'm not that predictable... am I? :sweat_smile:

Well, in my defence, it is a closed-back, it's a Kennerton, and it's really pretty! How could I say no to that?

On a good note, my wife even agrees that the Rögnir looks fantastic. I was so ecstatic to hear her say that, but she shot me down right after - "It doesn't mean that you can buy another headphone!", she added. Oh, well, baby steps. :wink:
Your life is easier than mine, given that your wife is also an audiophile :relieved:

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #4,190 of 10,023
Does anyone know if Kennerton’s return policy covers their limited edition headphones? I’ve emailed them a couple of times but haven’t heard back.
as far as I know it applies to all their HPs- I know they are super busy with year end stuff- I would just order or catch them on facebook even for maybe a quicker response- many are on with family holiday I would guess - I know I have owned many Kennertons and not once did I want to return any- I have to say - make sure the seal is tight on the closed back Magni and GH50 - it makes a huge difference. see here on on bending band if you are getting closed backs and need to adjust to fit- I can say it was a huge difference and needs to be done for each head alike I would think- cheers! and welcome to the Kennerton family of lovers of all things Kennerton! https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-magni-vs-gjallarhorn.24462/reviews

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #4,191 of 10,023
as far as I know it applies to all their HPs- I know they are super busy with year end stuff- I would just order or catch them on facebook even for maybe a quicker response- many are on with family holiday I would guess - I know I have owned many Kennertons and not once did I want to return any- I have to say - make sure the seal is tight on the closed back Magni and GH50 - it makes a huge difference. see here on on bending band if you are getting closed backs and need to adjust to fit- I can say it was a huge difference and needs to be done for each head alike I would think- cheers! and welcome to the Kennerton family of lovers of all things Kennerton! https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-magni-vs-gjallarhorn.24462/reviews
Thanks for the reply. I’ll try bending the band.

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #4,193 of 10,023
Which Kennerton has the best balance, if not a hint of V ? Resolution and dynamics important

Hi.

It's hard to answer you, because not all the qualities are in one Kennerton headphones.

Let's take the audio criteria for example: dynamics (slam) and sound resolution (definition).

For electrodynamic headphones: the old Vali (open headphone) will probably have better dynamics (and a better slam) than the (late) Vali 2020, which will probably have better resolution, definition and speed.

The same goes for Kennerton planar headphones: the Odin planar headphones (mk1 and mk2 ) will probably have better dynamics, with heavier bass and more slam, than the latest Kennerton planar headphones (the Thror, the Thekk and the Wodan) which are, on the other hand, more resolute, more detailed, faster; and for the Thekk and Thror, more open and airy.
Similarly, the Thror and Thekk will have a more balanced (and faithful) frequency response than the Odin mk1 and mk2.
The Odin mk3 (Thridi) is a little between these two categories of planar headphones for the criteria of dynamics and sound resolution.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #4,194 of 10,023
I've been listening back to back to the Magni and LSA HP-2 (aka Gjallarhorn) and have come away with some impressions on the differences. Obviously, a Magni to Gjallarhorn comparison or an HP-1 to HP-2 comparison would be a little more direct but I gotta work with what I got. No measurement tools, just my personal experiences, tastes, and point of view. Hope someone finds my ramblings useful.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #4,195 of 10,023
A nice follow up from fellow head-fi er who wrote and gave me permission to share-

From: jonathan c Owner of Gjallahorn GH50 JM Edition in Baltic Sea Blue paired with Mojo Audio Evo Mystique DAC ( $12k-$13k with lundahl transformers and graphene screening, etc. ) non-oversampling R2R ladder-DAC built by Ben Zwickel, listening is via CDs, spun/read by Audiolabs CDT-6000. All cabling is Morrow Audio XLR/balanced. Postscript, with the Liquid Platinum, and external power supply and Sylvania 7308 tubes are used and Violectric V280.

More comments on the Gjallarhorn. Of the h/p in the ‘stable’ [Audeze LCD-X, Beyer DT880 (600r), Beyer DT1770 (250r), Focal Clear, Rosson RAD-0, Sennheiser HD-600 (cnc-backweight mod)], the Gjallarhorn is the most tonally neutral, most musically coherent, has the most convincing “texture” (to me, a mix of detail & heft) and thus most believable rendition - to my surprise and delight even more than the HD-600 which I love. Each h/p in the ‘stable’ has a particular strength; but the gestalt is highest in the Gjallarhorn. One last note: on a whim, given the headphone terminations, I tried my Arctic Cable Palladium Series for the Focal Clear on the Gjallarhorn: IT W😃RKED! Talk about going from nirvana to NIRVANA. I have not owned the Gjallarhorn as long as you have but how I feel about them is captured by the adage “we hold these truths to be self evident...” Thank you for being an advocate for and contributor to Kennerton Audio and the Gjallarhorn 👍
F9364518-B6CD-42B5-AD17-3E75E0C5B3EF.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #4,196 of 10,023
I had an idea with respect to any possible ringing of the headband “cantilever” of the Gjallarhorn. I put a zip-on cover (an extra of that which I use for the Focal Clear) on the cantilever, zipped it up, then rotated the zipper seam to the underside. The cantilever is damped and there is no ringing or microphonics. This cover is temporary as I ordered two in black in deference to the Gjallarhorn’s appearance. The cable attached will stay - it is the Arctic Cables Palladium Series (works on the Focal Clears too).918B0D12-6978-4BBF-BB32-D813FF4F64C9.jpeg87AE7029-F15C-4B54-AF20-695BCF178D85.png

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #4,197 of 10,023
I had an idea with respect to any possible ringing of the headband “cantilever” of the Gjallarhorn. I put a zip-on cover (an extra of that which I use for the Focal Clear) on the cantilever, zipped it up, then rotated the zipper seam to the underside. The cantilever is damped and there is no ringing or microphonics. This cover is temporary as I ordered two in black in deference to the Gjallarhorn’s appearance. The cable attached will stay - it is the Arctic Cables Palladium Series (works on the Focal Clears too).918B0D12-6978-4BBF-BB32-D813FF4F64C9.jpeg87AE7029-F15C-4B54-AF20-695BCF178D85.png
great solution - I would think a fabric solution would work too- even wrapping one or both in velcro or such if that ring sound bothers you- for me its not an issue- but was thinking similar too- I would say fit is most important and making sure the headphones fit tight- test by compressing slowly inward on cups while listening and see if sound gets even more dynamic and full- if it does as you slowly release - you know you need to bend band to get tighter fit

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,198 of 10,023
Sneak peak at a custom Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition headphone made from Stabilized Maple Called Baltic Sea
STABILAZED_MAPLE_1.jpg

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,200 of 10,023
Eye watering beautiful
Is it me or Kennerton headphones the most gorgeous headphones on the planet earth ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back