Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 18, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #4,036 of 10,062
For those with a LSA-HP1: get those ECL-02 pads.

I have the feeling they add the missing, the only thing I wanted more from these: a bit of oomph.
I already dialled in a bit of extra bass with the RME DAC but it's not the same. The pads are the best EQ for these already great headphones.

Dec 18, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #4,037 of 10,062
For those with a LSA-HP1: get those ECL-02 pads.

I have the feeling they add the missing, the only thing I wanted more from these: a bit of oomph.
I already dialled in a bit of extra bass with the RME DAC but it's not the same. The pads are the best EQ for these already great headphones.
+1 night and day for me between liking these HPs and loving them

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #4,038 of 10,062
I finally got myself a set of Kennerton headphones. After listening to them for the past couple of days, I'm beating myself up for waiting so long to try set. I acquired my set of Kennerton Wodan's in a trade and I couldn't be more pleased with the sound.

I've been putting the Wodan's to the test. They have a killer bass response with excellent sub bass presence and extension. It's deep, impactful, well defined and hits with a very pleasing thud, love it. The mids are full and natural. Vocals sound outstanding. The treble clarity is very detailed and clear. No frequency is missing as the Wodan's are very well balanced.

I equipped the Wodan's with a silver cable. As I think the stock cable is not very good. The clarity is better with the silver cable equipped. The stock cable really hold them back sonically. I ordered a set of the ECL-02 pads to tryout. With the silver cable attached the extra bass presence of the ECL-02 pads should fair better. I noticed that with my silver cable attached there is a little lose of bass presence. Not much, but it's noticeable. Overall, the Wodan's do benefit from the extra clarity and detail that the all silver cable provides.

As far as sound signature goes, the Wodan's put me in mind of the Ether 2's. The two are very similar in tone and sound characteristics. Even the bass response is similar. They are fast, but not as fast as the Susvara's, TC's or HEKse's. The mids are on par with all of those headphones. The mid are nice, full bodied and lush. The treble on the Wodan's is super clear but it's not as airy as the HEKse's or Susvara's. The Wodan's has a very nice soundstage with incredible depth. They really draw you into the music.

So far I'm really loving them. They are very musical headphones and really sound nothing like what I have in my collection, which makes them a very nice addition. I'm trying to figure out if I like them more on solid state or tube amps. My LP really adds a nice sense of spaciousness with improved imaging. My FA-10 adds more attack and speed. Whatever the case the Wodan's are responding very well.

IMG_0674.jpg

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #4,039 of 10,062
What cables are you using? Thanks great insight!

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #4,040 of 10,062
What cables are you using? Thanks great insight!
I have my Audio Sensibility Silver Statement cable attached to the Wodan's. It's the same cable I use on my LCD-4z's. I just swapped it out to try. As it turns out, it a great match.

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #4,041 of 10,062
Hello everyone.

The following is my audiophile path that led me, as my last main headphone, to the Kennerton Thekk headphones, a fairly open planar headphone with good sensitivity, 100 dB/1mW (42 Ohm).

My appreciation of these headphones may of course differ from yours for a matter of taste and color, as well as ear sensitivity.

I also wanted to correlate these listening impressions to the frequency response of these headphones normalized according to the target curve proposed by the critic Crinacle, which corresponds more or less to my ear sensitivity.
This target curve is discussed here : https://boizoff.com/?p=948 (note: use google translate).

My musical tastes are very eclectic: Classical music, Jazz, pop/rock, Folk, Reggae, symphonic Metal.

However, I attach great importance to the reproduction of the piano (left and right hand), and human voices, especially female voices.

I like warm, deep, warm, but not muffled sounds; I like bass, provided it is not excessive, sufficiently precise and fast, giving rhythm to the music.
I don't like thin, etheral or unbalanced sounds with an excess of treble or high medium that tend to twist my ears.

I like sounds that are at the same time sufficiently nuanced and precise to separate the timbres of two voices singing on the same note, but also sufficiently dynamic and fast enough to give rhythm and life to the music.

First headphones listened to, the Sennheiser HD-600 on the headphone jack of an Onkyo integrated amplifier.

20121601325223553817175714.jpg

Its relatively balanced; but the bass is imprecise and distorted at high power, and the high-midrange at 3000 Hz is too emphasized, and (for my ear) tiring to hear for listening to the electric guitar, too emphasized. The sound is quite grainy. It's a good mid-fi headphone (in my ear).

Second headphones listened to, a Stax SR-007 mk2 on a Stax SRM-727-II amplifier.

20121601331323553817175720.jpg

Electrostatic headphones of great finesse and fluidity compared to the Sennheiser HD-600, with a warm sound, but the bass is poorly controlled with the Stax amplifier; not dynamic enough (they are soft). In addition, there is a dullness in the upper-midrange and treble distorting the female voices, which are dull and lacking in presence; at the same time there is a flicker of the over-treble (above 10 Khz) making the listening quite special, very scintillating in the treble.

Third headphones listened to, a Stax SR-009 on a Stax SRM-727-II amplifier.

20121601331423553817175722.jpg

Electrostatic headphones of great finesse and fluidity compared to the Sennheiser HD-600, with a very defined sound, fast, better held in the bass than that of the Stax SR-007 mk2 (and also descending lower), but there is a accent of this SR-009 headset in the upper medium (at 1.5 Khz) with projecting female voices making them hard to listen to at high level of SPL listening. In addition, even if the highs are very fine, they are too present for my ears: this headphone is too bright. Finally, with this amplification, I find it boring, because it lends itself more to sound analysis than to relaxed listening. It is a headphones for analysis, and not for fun, more than anything else.

Fourth headphones listened to, an Audeze LCD-3F on an Audiovalve RKV2 amplifier.

20121601315223553817175699.jpg

Very warm open planar headphones, with lush mids, very pleasant to hear, but the upper timbres of the female voices in the treble (and the right hand of the piano) are truncated, and smothered. This headphone lacks quite clearly of high medium and low treble, while having a peak in the treble at 6 KHz.

Fifth headphones listened to, an Kennerton Odin mk1 (then mk2) on an Audiovalve RKV2 amplifier.

20121601315323553817175703.jpg

Open planar headphones a little less warm than the LCD-3F, with very pleasant to hear, quite lush mids (but a little less lush than the Audeze LCD-3), with more precise, dynamic, fast and textured bass than those of the Audeze LCD-3 (and LCD-X), but less extended in the sub-bass, and with high-midds a little more present than that of the Audeze LCD-3 (and X), but which lacks a bit on female voices (and the right hand of the piano, perfectible); the treble, more present than that of Audeze LCD3 (and X) is quite irregular, more grainy than that of Thror, and even more of Thekk (much fine).

Sixth headphones listened to, a Kennerton Thror on a Viva 2A3 amplifier.

20121601315323553817175704.jpg

Open planar headphones much less warm than the Odin mk2, much lighter (in weight) (200 g less), straighter, more rigorous, more precise, faster, more open and ventilated than the Odin mk2, with mediums less luxuriant, more "high perched", with an accent at 3 KHz; treble more set back (than the Odin mk2), but finer (less grainy); medium bass (and dynamic) a little behind the Odin mk2, but the sub-bass are more present. The bass is faster, textured and defined than that of the Odin mk2; the power handling is also superior.

Seventh listened to, a Kennerton Thekk on a Viva 2A3 amplifier.

20121809335023553817178161.jpg

Open planar headphones warmer and more attractive than the Thror, even lighter (in weight), with more bass level and body for stringed instruments; voice even more accurate and natural than that of the Thror, with more body and devoid of this accent at 3 Khz, distorting a little the voices with the Thror; headphones still (a little more) open and airy than the Thror: bass as fast and with the same slam as the Thror; treble a little finer than that of the Thror.

Eighth headphones listened to (in demonstration), a Sennheiser HE-1 (with its own tube preamplifier).

20121604514223553817175919.jpg

Open-ended electrostatic headphone that fixes most of the faults of the Stax SR-009, to my ears (Note: the Stax SR-009 is too bright, too ethereal, with too thin sound, and with an unpleasant accent in the upper-midrange at 1.5 KHz)).
Well, the HE-1 brought both the fluidity, speed and transparency of the Stax 009, but in it brings body in stringed instruments and vocals, which doesn't sound thin and ethereal, and with a level of bass very satisfaying ; on classical music, these are exceptional headphones ; the best headphones ever heard.

Ninth headphones listened to, a Sennheiser HD-800 (stock) on an Audiovalve Luminare amplifier (OTL amp).

20121601325323553817175716.jpg

Open electrodynamic headphones, which with my ears have a wide and extended peak in the treble (5 to 8 KHz, centered on 6 KHz), and a relative lack of bass making it very uncomfortable to listen (to my ears) regardless of the level of SPL listening: low (lack of bass) or high (too much treble).

Tenth headphones listened to (in demonstration), a Meze Empyrean on a Viva 2A3 amplifier.

20122003441223553817180721.jpg

Open planar headphones very rich in bass and low medium bringing a lot of body to stringed instruments; but compared directly to other headsets, like the Focal Utopia, the Susvara (also in demonstration), and even the Thror, the sound seems less precise and lacks clarity in the highs.

Eleventh headphone listened to, a Myspère 3.2 (in demonstration, in a very quiet room) on a high-end transistor amplifier (but whose name I forgot), and in comparison with my Thror.

20121601331423553817175723.jpg

I didn't like these headphones for sound that lacked substance and body, and bass: thin and shiny sound in the upper midrange, even though remarkably airy and open.
A curiosity.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #4,042 of 10,062
Hello everyone.

Decidedly, the Kennerton Wodan, the last open planar headphones created by Kennerton (after chronologically the Odin (mk1 then mk2), the Odin Thridi (Odin mk3), the Thror, and the Thekk) is in the honor for the critics:

After the reward given to the Wodan by 6moons.com: https://6moons.com/audioreview_arti...TNCsfJhckNuPdm-v0p14z9niPLm-EaDKJymvqZS3mdPew

then the very detailed (and documented) review of the Wodan by the critic Sandu Vitalie of soundnews.net: https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/kennerton-wodan-review-worthy-of-the-gods/

well, here is a third review of Kennerton Wodan, this time wrote by Headfonia: https://www.headfonia.com/kennerton-wodan-review/

Kennerton-Wodan-2.jpg

Kennerton-Wodan-6.jpg

Kennerton-Wodan-7.jpg

The Wodan would be an intermediate headphones between the heavy and very pleasant to hear Kennerton Odin mk2 (which keeps its preference) and the lighter (and technical, neutral and rigorous) Kennerton Thror.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #4,043 of 10,062
Hello everyone.

Let's do a little prediction / fiction.

What will the Kennerton headphones line look like in 2021?

A prosperous year, because that of the decline (expected) of COVID-19, if countries and their citizens play the game of mass vaccination against this virus and its mutant varieties, and also that of new headphones expected at Kennerton for this new year 2021. :)

If you look at Kennerton's international web site, at the end of this (disastrous) year 2020 (the hottest year for the global climate, with a global viral pandemic), you will notice the disappearance of a certain number of headphones at Kennerton, using the old headbands, much less practical and comfortable (and also heavier or less reliable) than the current self-adapting headband equipping all the latest Kennerton headphones (starting with the Magni).

Have disappeared (or have just disappeared) from the Kennerton catalog.
. The Odin mk2 (680 g) (old headband).
. The Odin Thridi (mk3) (580 g) (old headband).
. The Odin 2019 (620 g) (new headband, but using the drivers and the heavy external zinc grids of the "old" Odin (Odin mk1, mk2).
. The old Vali (550 g) (old headband).
. The Magister Pro (with its own headband, with very tight clamping).

And on the verge of disappearing (in all probability) for the year 2021.
. The Thror (480 g) (with its old headband).

We should find in 2021 the four current best-sellers of the Kennerton range.
. The Thekk (370 g) (new headband; carbon frame for the Thekk driver).
. The Wodan (480 g, the same weight as the Thror) (new headband; metal frame for the Wodan driver).
. The Gjallarhorn GH50 and its JM Edition version (406 g) (new headband).
. The Magni V3 (390 g) (the first Kennerton headphones to feature the new self-adjusting headband).

+ The new Vali (2019) (490 g) (with the new headband and a new 50 mm driver) which remains for me a rather mysterious headphones quite different from the old Vali.
+ The M12 Studio (375 g), a more affordable version of the Magni, but using a 50 mm electrodynamic drivers coated with titanium (and not graphene).
+ The JORD (an on-ear headset with 40 mm drivers).

Are expected (or at least we hope very much) for the year 2021:

. One or two closed-back planar Kennerton headphones, one probably based on the Thekk's carbon-frame driver, and the other on the Wodan's metal-frame driver.
What will be the shape of the cups (most probably made of wood) of these new closed-back Kennerton planar headphones? The mystery remains the most complete.

. One or more completely new planar technology IEMs, including a very high-end IEM, which will be next to the best current IEMs on the market in terms of performance.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #4,044 of 10,062
So which is the old and new headband? I don't think they should change the headband of thror it is already the best headband. Those other headband looks fragile, flimsy and not pleasing to look at. But then again, it is not like I am gonna buy another pair of Thror. What they should change is the earpads. I find the brainwavz XL round pads to be so much more comfortable to use on my thror than their default earpads. Those default earpads tend to get your ears hot and sweaty on tropical climate as well and put way too much pressure on the upper side of your ears. The default earpads is really a disaster which needs to be fixed and not the headband which is already awesome at least for me.

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #4,045 of 10,062
So which is the old and new headband? I don't think they should change the headband of thror it is already the best headband. Those other headband looks fragile, flimsy and not pleasing to look at. But then again, it is not like I am gonna buy another pair of Thror. What they should change is the earpads. I find the brainwavz XL round pads to be so much more comfortable to use on my thror than their default earpads. Those default earpads tend to get your ears hot and sweaty on tropical climate as well and put way too much pressure on the upper side of your ears. The default earpads is really a disaster which needs to be fixed and not the headband which is already awesome at least for me.

Hi.

After having carefully compared the Thror and Thekk which respectively have the old and the new headband (self-adapting for the new headband (that of Thekk)), but share (these two headphones) the same ECL-01 earpads (pads asymmetrical, with large perforations; fairly rigid pads, it must be admitted, and quickly uncomfortable if poorly adjusted to the face of your head, hence the need for additional adjustment by adjusting the rotation of the pads); well, there is a distinct advantage of the new headband, over the old headband.

The principal advantages of the new headband are as follows: it is lighter and cheaper to produce.
As a result, the Thekk is cheaper to purchase than the Thror.
The Thekk is lighter (about 100 g) than the Thror, which shares the same "carbon" planar driver with the Thekk; and this is clearly felt for the wearing comfort of the Thekk (versus Thror), because the additional 100 g of the Thror result, by the play of the distribution of forces via the secondary suspension band, by a stronger clamping of the Thror, versus Thekk.
For aesthetics, indeed, the headband of the Thror is more massive and upscale than the headband of Thekk, but, contrary to appearances, the headband of Thekk is extremely well built and solid (note: the headband can be twisted without problem for the metal arch of this new headband to adjust the clamping force of Thekk and all headphones fitted with this headband).

As for the rigidity of the Thekk pads (and the thror), they are the guarantee of a certain durability of the leather parts.
Afterwards, changing pads for others (like Kennerton's ECL-02 pads) can be done (I did), but I urge you to be very careful, because the sound of the headphones (Thror) is then greatly modified, and not always good concerning the aeration of the sound (with pads having smaller perforations).

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #4,046 of 10,062
Well guys. 1 month with the Gjallarhorn JM Edition and I just have to say it: If they don't break I'm staying with these headphones and I'm not looking for anything else in the market anymore. I pair them with my modded Sony NW-WM1Z and it's the best "portable" setup I've ever experienced by far, very far. One amazing thing I found out this last week is that they are pretty crankable. Raising the volume is not fatiguing at all in short to medium length listening sessions (only recommended for well-mastered, dynamic albums | screw loudness!), and in some albums the immersion and overall experience is greatly improved. Right now I'm enjoying Alice In Chains - Facelift album and I'm being transported back to the 90s guys, best reproduction of this album I've had the pleasure to hear.

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #4,048 of 10,062
Dec 24, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #4,049 of 10,062
I have a really dumb question...but how do you actually *buy* the LSA HP-1? I can't find a buy or store link...or maybe I'm just dumb today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back