Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 26, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #4,066 of 10,033
The name of this closed-back planar headphones refers, once again, to one of the assumed names of the Norse god Odin: "Rögnir" which also means "the one who reigns".

After that, we can only comment, for the moment, that the image: closed-back headphones with orthodynamic drivers of 80 mm very probably taking again that of Thekk (carbon frame) or that of Wodan (metal frame).
As a notable difference, the pads which are here "full" (not perforated), and of course the wooden cups, closing the headphones, which seem quite deep and above all asymmetrical.

m0gw.jpg

m0gw.jpg

Well, now that we have a picture of this Kennerton closed-back planar headphones Rögnir, the questions that we ask ourselves, and that we can ask Valentin are the following:

Technically speaking, will the Rögnir take the 80 mm planar "carbon" drivers of the Thekk or the 80 mm planar "metal" (heavier, but cheaper) drivers of the Wodan?
Unless they are other planar drivers, specific to the Rögnir?

What will be the weight of the headphone: more or less than 1 kg? :beyersmile:
More seriously: more or less than 500 g?

What will be its sensitivity / impedance?
What will be its price ?
and when will it be available for sale ?

What will be the wood species available for purchase (or in special orders, for example for stabilized Karelian birch) ?

Will it be competitive (in price) and as efficient as the best closed-back headphones on the current high-end market, such as the Sennheiser HD-820 (2.4 K $) or the Focal Stellia (3 K $).
sennheiser-hd-820.jpg

20121601325323553817175717.jpg
focal-stellia.jpg

20121601325323553817175718.jpg

PS: Kennerton has kept an original cup shape for its Rögnir high-end planar closed-back headphones: at least they didn't try to reproduce (copy) the wooden cups of the Sony MDR R10 ... :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #4,067 of 10,033
For everyday use, it is much more practical, user-friendly (and comfortable) to use than the heavy, rigid, expensive and often uncomfortable (if badly adjusted) head-band equipping the Thror.
The new headband is light, strong, self-adapting to all heads.
Buzzword in bold. Why should end user care If the headband is expensive? They're expensive headphones. They should come with comfortable and good looking headband. Equipping expensive models with same headband as cheaper models is very Hifiman move. I'm sure the new headband is more convenient but it is ugly and looks like something from a $20 gaming headset.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #4,068 of 10,033
Buzzword in bold. Why should end user care If the headband is expensive? They're expensive headphones. They should come with comfortable and good looking headband. Equipping expensive models with same headband as cheaper models is very Hifiman move. I'm sure the new headband is more convenient but it is ugly and looks like something from a $20 gaming headset.

Hi.

A universe separates these two headphones in terms of comfort of use (and weight).

19102109033723553816472696.jpg

My Kennerton Thekk (SN 001): weight (< 400 g) (390 g)

18012409533723553815495297.jpg

These three Kennerton Odin headphones have a total weight of more than 2 kilos (for the sum of the weights of these 3 headphones).

My Thekk is incomparably lighter to wear (and pleasant to wear) than these three first generation planar headphones.

The fault (of this discomfort) is largely due to the weight of the headphones and the headband, heavy, rigid, expensive to produce, and very uncomfortable to wear (especially if badly adjusted).

It is expensive to produce, which increases the price of the headphone by several hundred euros; there are no small savings.

It is fragile (note: while trying to bend the branch of an Odin Thridi headphones (on loan), to adjust the clamping to my big head, I broke the branch!!).

The old headband designed by the engineer Max has been very damaging to the Kennerton brand for its Odin and Vali: many people made fun of these Kennerton headphones for their weight, their discomfort, and this big apparent "torture" screw.

Valentin (Kennerton's CEO) corrected the shot, and it was a great idea, probably one of the best!

The new headband is much better, and it's quite similar to another high-end headphones, the Stax SR-007 mk2: one of the most comfortable headphones to wear.

casque-stax-omega-sr-007-reference-mk-2_74308_jaD4W1NoeI.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #4,069 of 10,033
I get that the new headband is better. I just don't think it looks that great. It also does not appear to have a swivel function which adds to the cheap look. Very least they should not use same headband for all headphones. I don't like it with Grado, Hifiman or kennerton. When you pay more you should get more. To see that same headband on $3200 thekk and $580 m12's is just wrong

It is expensive to produce, which increases the price of the helmet by several hundred euros; there are no small savings
So you are saying in a low labour cost country like Russia it cost several hundred euros to make a headband. Thats ridiculous. Or is it they want like 10x margin for every part? 5€ headband would add 50€ to the headphone price. 30€ headband 300€. If they managed to reduce cost by several hundred euros, where did the money go? New vali is still $1000. Also the change from protruding mini xlr to 3.5mm installed in a hole cuts the cost. Considering also the low driver cost ($10) I can't see the justification for the $1000 price anymore.

Dec 26, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #4,070 of 10,033
I get that the new headband is better. I just don't think it looks that great. It also does not appear to have a swivel function which adds to the cheap look. Very least they should not use same headband for all headphones. I don't like it with Grado, Hifiman or kennerton. When you pay more you should get more. To see that same headband on $3200 thekk and $580 m12's is just wrong

So you are saying in a low labour cost country like Russia it cost several hundred euros to make a headband. Thats ridiculous. Or is it they want like 10x margin for every part? 5€ headband would add 50€ to the headphone price. 30€ headband 300€. If they managed to reduce cost by several hundred euros, where did the money go? New vali is still $1000. Also the change from protruding mini xlr to 3.5mm installed in a hole cuts the cost. Considering also the low driver cost ($10) I can't see the justification for the $1000 price anymore.

These cast aluminum mechanical parts are very expensive to produce; make an estimate, you'll see how much they cost!

11-Outer-fork.jpg

10-Inner-fork.jpg

EDIT: Ok, ask Kennerton to take out the Rögnir closed-back planar headphones, equipped this time with the Odin headband.

The result: a headphone almost 100 g heavier, 200 euros more expensive and much less comfortable to wear; not to mention that you will have to change all the (very demanding) settings of the headphone headband to lend it to a friend (or another member of your family).

Unless you're a masochist or want to limit the place of your headphone in a showcase, well my choice is quickly made.:beyersmile:

EDIT bis: The terrible beginnings of the Kennerton Odin (mk1): weight and discomfort has mark on people's minds, more than the aesthetics, considered "industrial" at the time.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ken...thror-discussion.732814/page-14#post-11969943

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #4,071 of 10,033
Well, I don't think that the Kennerton headband is "bad looking", to be frank. As I've mentioned in my earlier post, through images alone, they simply don't look plush or comfortable for daily use; however, aesthetics-wise, it doesn't look (too) cheap nor badly constructed. These were my prevailing sentiments before I got my hands on the Gjallarhorn GH50.

In any case, I am happy to keep this particular headband assembly for the Rögnir (and other future Kennerton cans), since it hits the comfort-related marks pretty well.

HiFiMan, on the other hand, has a one-piece headband that serves as both padding and frame for the headphone. IMO, that headband looks a lot cheaper than Kennerton's take, which includes a semi-rigid metal frame to hold the cups together. In fact, as I speak, the closest headphone to my hands, the $180 Marshall Major IV, has a headband that looks more premium that one HiFiMan uses. Go figure.

In any case, let's just agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #4,072 of 10,033
Ok, I get it original headband was bad. However that does not mean that:
1) New headband looks good
2) New headband should be used in both expensive and cheap headphones
3) It's acceptable policy to lower manufacturing cost but not lower price for the customer at all.

I'm sure it is expensive to make those die cast parts. However material cost is low(small parts). Price comes from the mold and time (sallaries and time manufacturer could have spent producing something else). Bigger the quantity, smaller the Price per/piece. How many parts did they need? 500-2000? Enough to count as a large order I'd think.

Average income in russia is $800 and $5500 in USA. To my understanding making parts out of carbon fibre is even more expensive than die cast aluminium. Yet American Audeze can sell carbon fibre headbands seperately for $200. And thats the price we pay for Audeze actual cost of manufacture has to be alot less. It just don't add up. If cost manufacturing a headband is 200€($245) and for that money kennerton hired a professional blacksmith in Russia handbuilt one headband a day for 20 days the blacksmith would earn 4000€($4913). That allmost twice the sallary of an average medical doctor. 200€ for a headband forged by an actual blacksmith would be pretty cool actually. 200€ for a headband made in large quantities in a factory not so much.

I also want to emphasize that I don't have anything against kennerton. Save the headband those appear to be well crafted luxury items. I'm particular keen on the looks of gjallahorn. Overall kennerton headphones are a welcome change in a world filled with plastic. I just need to vent from time and point out (IMO) bad decisions made by manufacturers that are not good for the customer. I'm not biased for Audeze, I think $200 headband is quite nasty price. I hate that Focal used bad glue on their earpads and replacement pads cost $200. I hate that manufacturers roll out new headphones and revisions every six months killing the re-sale value of allmost new in headphones. It's beyond me how there can be so many driver failures on $4000+ headphones. It's stupid that Grado still can't make detachable cables etc.. I'm just cranky not so old man. :) please don't anyone take my rant personally.

Despite all my whining I'd like to wish everyoneHappy holidays and a better new year! :beerchug:

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #4,073 of 10,033
Well, I don't think that the Kennerton headband is "bad looking", to be frank. As I've mentioned in my earlier post, through images alone, they simply don't look plush or comfortable for daily use; however, aesthetics-wise, it doesn't look (too) cheap nor badly constructed. These were my prevailing sentiments before I got my hands on the Gjallarhorn GH50.

In any case, I am happy to keep this particular headband assembly for the Rögnir (and other future Kennerton cans), since it hits the comfort-related marks pretty well.

HiFiMan, on the other hand, has a one-piece headband that serves as both padding and frame for the headphone. IMO, that headband looks a lot cheaper than Kennerton's take, which includes a semi-rigid metal frame to hold the cups together. In fact, as I speak, the closest headphone to my hands, the $180 Marshall Major IV, has a headband that looks more premium that one HiFiMan uses. Go figure.

In any case, let's just agree to disagree. :)

Well, they should at the very least give buyers to option to choose which headband. Not everyone likes having to wear headbands that look like antennas. Just look at Hifiman's latest headband. They changed to the non-antenna looking version on the latest versions. And there are users that prefer the clamp force of the likes of 6XX and Thror. The headphones do not fall off when you use them lying down for easy listening yeah? Aside from 6XX, Thror's headband also do not fall off when lying down. For me at least, if I have to spend that much money on a headphone, it better not make me look like some alien in a star wars movie.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #4,074 of 10,033
Ok, I get it original headband was bad. However that does not mean that:
1) New headband looks good
2) New headband should be used in both expensive and cheap headphones
3) It's acceptable policy to lower manufacturing cost but not lower price for the customer at all.

I'm sure it is expensive to make those die cast parts. However material cost is low(small parts). Price comes from the mold and time (sallaries and time manufacturer could have spent producing something else). Bigger the quantity, smaller the Price per/piece. How many parts did they need? 500-2000? Enough to count as a large order I'd think.

Average income in russia is $800 and $5500 in USA. To my understanding making parts out of carbon fibre is even more expensive than die cast aluminium. Yet American Audeze can sell carbon fibre headbands seperately for $200. And thats the price we pay for Audeze actual cost of manufacture has to be alot less. It just don't add up. If cost manufacturing a headband is 200€($245) and for that money kennerton hired a professional blacksmith in Russia handbuilt one headband a day for 20 days the blacksmith would earn 4000€($4913). That allmost twice the sallary of an average medical doctor. 200€ for a headband forged by an actual blacksmith would be pretty cool actually. 200€ for a headband made in large quantities in a factory not so much.

I also want to emphasize that I don't have anything against kennerton. Save the headband those appear to be well crafted luxury items. I'm particular keen on the looks of gjallahorn. Overall kennerton headphones are a welcome change in a world filled with plastic. I just need to vent from time and point out (IMO) bad decisions made by manufacturers that are not good for the customer. I'm not biased for Audeze, I think $200 headband is quite nasty price. I hate that Focal used bad glue on their earpads and replacement pads cost $200. I hate that manufacturers roll out new headphones and revisions every six months killing the re-sale value of allmost new in headphones. It's beyond me how there can be so many driver failures on $4000+ headphones. It's stupid that Grado still can't make detachable cables etc.. I'm just cranky not so old man. :) please don't anyone take my rant personally.

Despite all my whining I'd like to wish everyoneHappy holidays and a better new year! :beerchug:
Well, they should at the very least give buyers to option to choose which headband. Not everyone likes having to wear headbands that look like antennas. Just look at Hifiman's latest headband. They changed to the non-antenna looking version on the latest versions. And there are users that prefer the clamp force of the likes of 6XX and Thror. The headphones do not fall off when you use them lying down for easy listening yeah? Aside from 6XX, Thror's headband also do not fall off when lying down. For me at least, if I have to spend that much money on a headphone, it better not make me look like some alien in a star wars movie.

Hi to both of you.

Interesting argument about head-bands of very expensive and less expensive headphones.

Well, I know a world famous headphones brand that shares the same head-band (ugly with its "antennas") for two headphones with very different prices: the Stax SR-507 and SR-009 (note: I have owned these two headphones).

29fu7p.jpg
L700.jpg

casque-hifi-stax-en-france.jpg

This head-band was unsuitable for my big head because the clamping was too tight: impossible to untwist the headband (without breaking it) to soften the clamping ...

PS: the initial production target for ODINs was 500 pieces.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #4,075 of 10,033
Good idea; this is something that should be applied to the wider headphone market, IMO.

Some of us prefer a one-piece headband, others like a suspension strap hybrid. Some prefer a rigid aluminum band, and others, a Dan-Clark-Audio-style headband. Since the cups are the main cost drivers, the inclusion of a choice of headband assembly and/or a choice of pad (material, size, thickness) could be an inexpensive way to ensure that a high customer satisfaction score is better achieved.

Apart from the different types of housing materials and/or designs used (à la ZMF, Rosson, Kennerton), the availability of the aforementioned purchase options could help to create a new segment of "custom" headphones.

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #4,076 of 10,033
Hi.

A universe separates these two headphones in terms of comfort of use (and weight).

19102109033723553816472696.jpg

My Kennerton Thekk (SN 001): weight (< 400 g) (390 g)

18012409533723553815495297.jpg

These three Kennerton Odin headphones have a total weight of more than 2 kilos (for the sum of the weights of these 3 headphones).

My Thekk is incomparably lighter to wear (and pleasant to wear) than these three first generation planar headphones.

The fault (of this discomfort) is largely due to the weight of the headphones and the headband, heavy, rigid, expensive to produce, and very uncomfortable to wear (especially if badly adjusted).

It is expensive to produce, which increases the price of the headphone by several hundred euros; there are no small savings.

It is fragile (note: while trying to bend the branch of an Odin Thridi headphones (on loan), to adjust the clamping to my big head, I broke the branch!!).

The old headband designed by the engineer Max has been very damaging to the Kennerton brand for its Odin and Vali: many people made fun of these Kennerton headphones for their weight, their discomfort, and this big apparent "torture" screw.

Valentin (Kennerton's CEO) corrected the shot, and it was a great idea, probably one of the best!

The new headband is much better, and it's quite similar to another high-end headphones, the Stax SR-007 mk2: one of the most comfortable headphones to wear.

casque-stax-omega-sr-007-reference-mk-2_74308_jaD4W1NoeI.jpg
Hey Eric,
I really like the old, heavy headband. I think it looks really cool.

Maybe Kennerton could offer the old style as an option? Some people might like a choice.

Cheers,
Mike.

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #4,077 of 10,033
Hey Eric,
I really like the old, heavy headband. I think it looks really cool.

Maybe Kennerton could offer the old style as an option? Some people might like a choice.

Cheers,
Mike.

Hi Mike.

You are 100% right.

You can love the heavy and rewarding headband fitted to the Odin mk1, mk2, mk3 (Thridi) and Thror, especially when so well tuned.

My eldest son's bear adopted it; is he unhappy with it? Not really! :)

20122609295223553817188101.jpg

20122609363523553817188110.jpg

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #4,078 of 10,033
Hi Mike.

You are 100% right.

You can love the heavy and rewarding headband fitted to the Odin mk1, mk2, mk3 (Thridi) and Thror, especially when so well tuned.

My eldest son's bear adopted it; is he unhappy with it? Not really! :)

20122609295223553817188101.jpg

20122609363523553817188110.jpg
That's one very lucky bear!😆😆

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #4,079 of 10,033
I 100% agree with the dislike of the 'antenna' headband, like seen on for example the HE1000 by Hifiman and the SR009 by Stax. The SR007 headband on the other hand is miles ahead of the current Kennerton headband concerning looks and luxury imo. Having leather over the metal band was a lovely touch and the solid, subtle leather band used on the SR-007 is a treat for my head.
I know @Roderick also has a pair of SASH headphones:
1609016735526.png
1609016376142.png

The owner just updated the headband to have the option to have a strap instead of a fixed padded headband. As owner of one with the padded headband I was able to order just the strap for ... $10, Sending them from Ukraine to the Netherlands was more expensive, imagine that.
The whole SASH planar sells for $350 for which you get the change the get a personalized, open/closed back (add just $50) planar that is actually quite good.

I now own 3 headphones with the new headband system and I like it. I'm just slightly concerned how it will hold up in the years to come: how will the suspension system hold or will it be AKG horror like?

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #4,080 of 10,033
I 100% agree with the dislike of the 'antenna' headband, like seen on for example the HE1000 by Hifiman and the SR009 by Stax. The SR007 headband on the other hand is miles ahead of the current Kennerton headband concerning looks and luxury imo. Having leather over the metal band was a lovely touch and the solid, subtle leather band used on the SR-007 is a treat for my head.
I know @Roderick also has a pair of SASH headphones:
1609016735526.png1609016376142.png
The owner just updated the headband to have the option to have a strap instead of a fixed padded headband. As owner of one with the padded headband I was able to order just the strap for ... $10, Sending them from Ukraine to the Netherlands was more expensive, imagine that.
The whole SASH planar sells for $350 for which you get the change the get a personalized, open/closed back (add just $50) planar that is actually quite good.

I now own 3 headphones with the new headband system and I like it. I'm just slightly concerned how it will hold up in the years to come: how will the suspension system hold or will it be AKG horror like?
What headphone are in the picture? Where can you buy them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back