Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 2, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #196 of 10,062
It is a Russian - Scandinavian headphone after all :D

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #199 of 10,062
Eric are you official spokes person of Kennerton/ODIN ?

No, dub has already answered this question (*)

I do not speak a word of Russian, but I like to mention the good audio equipments (for example : Stax SR-009 ; Audeze LCD3-F and soon Kennerton Odin headphones); I discuss about in the forums (here and elsewhere)
smily_headphones1.gif

(*) http://www.head-fi.org/t/779242/can...ns-thread-august-29-30-2015/270#post_11888142

Eric

Edit (one): Last pics on HCFR of the K. Odin
a modified K. Odin using the cable high quality of JPS Abyss (modified for its connectors) !!
removable pads

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178648224.html#p178648224

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178648758.html#p178648758

PS: evolution of my audio system over time (in pics); pending the latest evolution with the K. Odin
smily_headphones1.gif

K. Odin (waiting)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #203 of 10,062
On the french thread, we worry on the cadences of production of the Scandinavian-Russian company; Kennerton Odin production rates will be slow ? (emphasizing quality, but with long timeouts (3 months?)) or, conversely, fast? (with the shortening of the time waiting, but at the expense of the production quality ?) http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178649819.html#p178649819

What is, currently, the time waiting to have a Kennerton Odin?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #204 of 10,062
  On the french thread, we worry on the cadences of production of the Scandinavian-Russian company; Kennerton Odin production rates will be slow ? (emphasizing quality, but with long timeouts (3 months?)) or, conversely, fast? (with the shortening of the time waiting, but at the expense of the production quality ?) http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178649819.html#p178649819

What is, currently, the time waiting to have a Kennerton Odin?

You placed an order for the ODIN, correct?

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #206 of 10,062
  Yes, early August; receipt expected around October 10-15; but since two months, the demand seems to have much increased and I wonder about the capabilities of Kennerton to deal with the current request.

I see…also you have heard them already, correct?
I had contacted Kennerton about their wait time/return policy (being I wanted to try them before purchasing them) and they told me the wait time was about 4-weeks and they do not have a return policy…but I'm located in the U.S. so that may be why there is no return policy, and there is no authorized dealers here only in Canada through http://dijitalfix.com/collections/headphones?page=2 but I don't see any Kennerton HP's on their site? 

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #207 of 10,062
I see…also you have heard them already, correct?
I had contacted Kennerton about their wait time/return policy (being I wanted to try them before purchasing them) and they told me the wait time was about 4-weeks and they do not have a return policy…but I'm located in the U.S. so that may be why there is no return policy, and there is no authorized dealers here only in Canada through http://dijitalfix.com/collections/headphones?page=2 but I don't see any Kennerton HP's on their site?

No, purchase without having heard, only on the reputation (and tests made in France) (very good)
Official distributors are currently limited to a few countries http://kennerton.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8
The French distributor reimburses Odin if it does not please us.
smily_headphones1.gif

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #208 of 10,062
  No, purchase without having heard, only on the reputation (and tests made in France) (very good)
Official distributors are currently limited to a few countries http://kennerton.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8
The French distributor reimburses Odin if it does not please us. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I see…that is great that you have the opportunity to return if your not pleased.
I wasn't going to spend so much without a return policy incase they weren't for my taste.
Can't wait to hear your impressions!
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #209 of 10,062
So this is not as PC of a comment as I typically try to write. Some uncensored thoughts. Do not read if you are easily offended.

lol note on Kennerton Audio Odin & Lyrus Audio Designs flagship (lol didn't even bother to catch its name). basically just CLONES of each other. actually hilarious funny when you see them in person.

Differences:
  1. Odin's design was worse than Lyrus, poorly thought-out screwing mechanism that needs to be loosened to adjust the headband.
  2. Lyrus basically using the old-school Hifiman design (HE-4/HE-5/HE-6) with additional padding on their headband.
  3. Odin "felt" heavier despite having suspension strap. Just going by feel though, as I couldn't measure weights. 
  4. Lyrus's earpad depth shallower, too shallow IMO.
  5. Odin's grill faced "V"-ways. Lyrus's grill faced "^"-ways. lollerwagons (purely my own uncensored thoughts but seems to me they are probably sourcing components from whatever random same chinese company =P)

Similarities: 
  1. both quite heavy, basically throwback to the days of terribly heavy planars... What. Both quite noticeably weighty when worn. Not likely suitable for long listening sessions. There was nothing about either model's sound would make me tolerate the extra weight and discomfort.
  2. both gunning for the $2k+ price point
  3. both companies hilariously have no previous experience designing planar magnetic headphones (not-PC thought, but I would not be surprised if the same drivers used.)
  4. Both models did not seem to be seriously respected by other vendors. No one really wanted to have their external components paired with these headphones hahah.

Sonically (Personal subjective opinions from demo conditions - YMMV!):
  1. Sonically Odin > Lyrus's flagship to my ears. Neither impressive enough to justify a $2k+ price tag though.
  2. Both have eerily similar mid-centric tunings.
  3. ODIN: Odin's bass was acceptably well-done for a planar magnetic, still a bit loose. Soundstage not going to win any awards, but likely better than Audeze (which is hilariously easy imo as Audeze typically have a bit congested sound stage & smallest soundstage of flagships in general IMO). Mid-centric type tuning. Bit of weirdness with upper mids made vocals sound a bit off to me and things appeared a bit thin despite the loose bass - which is a very interesting achievement. Treble variation at the top end. Would need more time to say exactly where. Lower-mids and bass would be its strength, but not remotely interested in re-listening or purchasing. Would easily pick any of the previous flagships over this model. Overall, no glaring flaws I think but no really exceptional strengths either. Not worth its price tag compared to what you can currently purchase. Spent a bit more time with them since such previously positive hype. Conclusion afterwards is that I personally probably hear very differently & cannot rely on the impressions of people on the French forum.
  4. Lyrus: lollerwagons. After I heard it, I had to ask if this was a prototype or the final version. Unfortunately, it is the final version. Strongly mid-centric to my ears. Overall sound signature not well balanced and bass quality not up to the standards I typically associate with planar magnetics. Quite a bit of bass bloat, consumer-oriented tuning I think. Did not bother listening to for too long. Not really worthwhile.

For Odin fans, you can feel happy that odin has "slayed" another flagship planar magnetic competitor sonically. Unfortunately, definitely falls terribly short against everything else even the really old school Hifimans in terms of practicality of design.

neither the odin or the lyrus flagship brings anything new to the planar magnetic playing field, and if people start associating their sound quality with what you should expect at the $2k+ price point... well, I think at least manufacturers/distributors can rest happily. I was caught off-guard on how poorly their price points reflect my own views on performance. Does not compete well with previous generation planar magnetics if using their price points as standards as what you can expect for performance. With the new LCD-4 really muddling up performance:price expectations, I can see some people thinking these items are worth $2k.

I personally would expect severe discounting of price on both models relatively quickly. Not really sure if these are really even that competitive against mid-tier or discontinued offerings by other companies.

For planar magnetic fans in general, sad day.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #210 of 10,062
extraordinary dismissive  view at the opposite of the French school ... really i dont know what to think...
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back